PDA

View Full Version : thread repair on 350x cylinder ??

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-17-2012, 12:53 AM
I need to fix two bolt holes on my 350x cylinder the two bolts that go from the rocker covers down into the cylinder past each side of the cam. They're 7mm the threads are striping on them. I need a thread repair kit like heli coil to fix it but the kits I'm finding only come with the inserts that are 10.5mm and mine need to be 20mm long or so. I don't know if you can just use two inserts on top of one another or what? I've never used these type of kits before so if anyone knows if i can use two inserts or knows where to get a kit with longer inserts please let me know. These stupid threads are the only thing keeping me from assembling my engine.

SWIGIN
06-17-2012, 06:35 AM
I often stack heli-coils on top of each other to achieve full thread contact with great results. The key to using heli-coils is making a perfectly sized punch to shear the drive tang off after they are installed.

zzmegad
06-17-2012, 09:31 AM
like swigin said...

I'm not familiar with the 350x head, but I know a single heli-coil can hold quite a bit, I don't think you need to double them up.

The heli-coil should be installed flush or slightly below the surface, break off the tang and the bolt can thread thru the heli-coil.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
06-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Ok thanks guys thats what i was hoping to hear, ill order a kit then and stack them. I knew one would probably hold but i want to KNOW the dang thing will stay in the for sure lol. thanks

SWIGIN
06-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Trim the second coil if it's too long before installing it into the hole.