PDA

View Full Version : CDI Pulse Gen Rotor Slop??

kb0nly
06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
First time i have seen this problem so i will ask... Has anyone had a CDI/Pulse Gen Rotor that seems to be worn to the point of loose?

I put a new exhaust on my 84 200ES and that quieted it down so much that i was now hearing the engine noises, figures right? But i knew what it was, valves or timing chain. So i adjusted the valves, knew that was .05mm or .002 inches by heart i have done it so many times. Half the noise gone.. Then i adjusted the timing chain, got even quieter. But there is still this odd ticking noise.

Doing a little probing i found that my redneck stethoscope, screwdriver to ear, was telling me under the cover for the pulse gen. Pulled that off and sure enough the noise got louder. Instinct said pull it, clean it, lube it, re-assemble. So i did that. Hmm it rattles yet. It has a lot of end play on the bushing that goes between the rotor and the camshaft end. That is, the rotor can be grabbed and pulled in and out in other words sliding on the camshaft. Side play doesn't seem bad for its age its pretty tight on the bushing.

Just as a test i took a piece of plastic shim material and put between the washer on the bolt of the end of the cam and the rotor to hold it back tightly, i know this defeats the advance movement of it but i just wanted to see if at idle its quiet now. Sure enough fired it up and its quiet as can be, so its the pulse generator rotor rattling on the bushing that sits on the camshaft.

Which unfortunately looks to be an all in one piece on these, so i would have to replace the entire advancer assembly to fix the slop and the noise. Unless someone else has a better suggestion?

Howdy
06-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes, I have seen the cdi advancers develop a lot of slop. My solution is to replace it and when you do lube up the next one before it goes in. A lite amount of grease will do it. If you need a good advancer let me know. I have a couple extra's ( used but good ).
Howdy

kb0nly
06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Since the manual doesn't recommend it... When you lube these up, what points do you lubricate on them? I usually try to lube them inbetween every moving part with some light grease, i have a few spray cans of lithium and molybdenum grease. But fill me in how you do them!

Amazingly in the 20+ years i have been wrenching on these all i have ever really done to the advancer is clean and lube and adjust the gap. I haven't had one wore out like this, best i can figure the previous owner didn't maintain it, it looked to have the factory gasket and it was sealed on there really really good and the gasket crumbled. So i ordered a new gasket today.

I will PM on the advancer!

mendoAu
04-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Well, this thread is kinda, generally close to my question. I'm slowly getting this new-to-me 81 110 back on the road again. No spark and the pulse generator seems to be the culprit. I'm just going to guess...there should be a couple of copper "strips" on the rotor, right? This rotor has only little telltale areas where they used to be. Worn off for some reason. New rotor time, Yes? And just looking at some pictures I assume that a new rotor only goes back on the shaft one way so replacing it shouldn't cause any spark advance problems. Thanks for any feedback.

86125m
04-23-2017, 11:04 PM
you can replace just the springs and fix the slack here is the link http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-30224-437-000.html.