PDA

View Full Version : can anyone explain the mystery?

philgipson
06-12-2012, 08:33 AM
we all know recoils for 70s are rare and expensive.where did they all go?

jadleybray
06-12-2012, 10:28 AM
people probably couldn't figure out how to fix em and replaced them instead.

Mr. Clean
06-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Scenario 1

Take yourself back to mid the mid 90's. A spank new 1985 ATC 70 has been ridden hard and put away wet by every member of the family. One day it stops running and Dad tells his teenage son to go fix it. He figures its the points, pulls the pull starter FIRST, then the left side cover and sees the flywheel has to be removed. Well being a teenager hes got no money, and Dad is not about to put any money into that old beat up three wheeler. So disassembled the poor 70 sits for years and years. Eventually the pull start gets misplaced, the 70 is sold and someone has no idea what it is for....chucks it in the trash or some scrap pile..........

Scenario 2

One day roughly the same time in the universe as the above scenario another family is enjoying their beloved ATC 70 and on this beautiful spring day they take a big pull on the pull starter and wham...in their hand low and behold what do they have the pull start handle and a broken rope. So Dad figures he can fix it takes off the pull start and promptly has the "Jesus" spring fly out of the pull start. (Called Jesus spring due to when it launches across the garage one will yell out JESUS!!!) Dad cannot fix it and tells his son go fix it. Because 3wheeler world did not yet come to being there was not the quality write ups by guys like Howdy on how easy it is to do, the 70 sits. Eventually the pull start gets misplaced, the 70 is sold and someone has no idea what it is for....chucks it in the trash or some scrap pile..........

pipeline triker
06-12-2012, 12:03 PM
KIDS, got at them thats where they all went. Most kids when they try to start something give fast short pulls without letting the dogs engage fully first. Look at the price of rewinds for all kids stuff. atc 70's, tri zingers, kitty cat's, swingers, and all the like.

Vealmonkey
06-12-2012, 01:05 PM
The inventor of the first generation of flux capacitors, just so happened to use an atc70 coil, as it was what he had laying around at the time. Only problem is, at 50 gigawatts, the atc70 coil has a very short lifespan, maybe one or two uses and it's toast. So Doc had to buy up a large quantity of atc70 coils to keep going back and forth in time. LOL

DasUberKraut
06-12-2012, 01:16 PM
The inventor of the first generation of flux capacitors, just so happened to use an atc70 coil, as it was what he had laying around at the time. Only problem is, at 50 gigawatts, the atc70 coil has a very short lifespan, maybe one or two uses and it's toast. So Doc had to buy up a large quantity of atc70 coils to keep going back and forth in time. LOL

1. 21 gigawatts (jigawatts)

Blown 331
06-12-2012, 03:02 PM
we all know recoils for 70s are rare and expensive.where did they all go?

Haha. I've wondered the same thing. But it seems to me that any recoil for any ATV is expensive. A lot of times they are worth as much as the whole bike!

oscarmayer
06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
i think Veal got it right! doc used them up! dam doc!!!!

Big Mike
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
I just dont understand what use Doc Brown would have for a pull starter, it is not coils we are talking about here. But I think it is like most of the guys here have said, they got broken, owners didnt know how to fix them so in the trash pile they went.

Vealmonkey
06-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Like Emily Latella from the early days of Saturday Night Live said, "Never Mind". LOL