PDA

View Full Version : 85 R axle o-rings?

Helidaddy
06-09-2012, 04:12 PM
When installing my axle on the 85 I found this in the Shop Manual on page 11-7:

I don't think I remember o-rings there when I disassembled it. Can someone enlighten me here please? Are these necessary? They didn't come in the All Balls kit I don't think.

Trackburger
06-09-2012, 05:09 PM
They prevent water / dirt / mud from entering between the bearing carrier and carrier housing. Can you run it without the orings.... sure. just know that if you ride in lots of water and mud it will find its way into the void and make it a pain in the arse to adjust your chain. Running your trike without the rubber where the allen heads are to loosen the carrier housings "grasp" on teh carrier will do the same thing. If you rode on grass all day etc you would never have an issue, but its fine to ride until you get the orings. Just make sure you clean it out well after you get the orings and use plenty of marine grade grease to keep everything lubed and moving free.

Trackburger
06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
nevermind... I just looked at the pic you posted and I'm thinking of the wrong O-rings. Not sure aout those either.....

Helidaddy
06-10-2012, 01:42 AM
It's really weird because in the exploded view it doesn't show the same o-rings like the assembly drawing above shows.

SOMEONE must know what I'm talking about here... hundreds if not thousands of you have replaced an axle before. I searched and couldn't find any mention of it which I thought was strange.

just ben
06-10-2012, 07:48 AM
looks like a grease seal to me. I just looked at a parts fiche,It didn't show any o-rings. Is it a factory service manual or a clymer or something?

RIDE-RED 250r
06-10-2012, 08:03 AM
I know my '85 doesn't have them.... strange

Helidaddy
06-10-2012, 07:46 PM
looks like a grease seal to me. I just looked at a parts fiche,It didn't show any o-rings. Is it a factory service manual or a clymer or something?

These two drawings are from the '85-'86 Honda Shop Manual. I haven't looked at the online fiches yet. It's not the dust seal; it's something additional to that I guess. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a mis-print because the sprocket hub and the brake hub are supposed to butt directly up against the bearing (correct me if I'm wrong).

Dirtcrasher
06-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Each outer bearing in the carrier, those MUST have a seal.

Near the pinch bolts, some say you need them, others feel otherwise. If you don't run those, plan on sliding the carrier and greasing it up once in awhile unless you enjoy ruining/chewing up your carrier because crap gets in there.

The disc brake has yet another o-ring.And the carrier itself should also be greased so it will adjust the chain easily.

I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease on all mating surfaces, thicker grease on splines and I'm yet to ruin any part to date

Helidaddy
06-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Each outer bearing in the carrier, those MUST have a seal.
I installed the seals, but what about the o-rings in this drawing... have you ever seen these?

Near the pinch bolts, some say you need them, others feel otherwise. If you don't run those, plan on sliding the carrier and greasing it up once in awhile unless you enjoy ruining/chewing up your carrier because crap gets in there.

I'm using both the pinch bolt seals and the big o-rings on the outside of the carrier.

The disc brake has yet another o-ring.

What o-ring is this you speak of????

I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease on all mating surfaces, thicker grease on splines and I'm yet to ruin any part to date

I piled on the Bel-Ray; heard good stuff about it so I got some too.

atc300r
06-11-2012, 07:07 AM
My 85 and 81 both had the o-rings on the axle.Its a thin o-ring that goes on the inside of the axle spocket hub and brake hub.Both my 81 and 85 I was the first one to take them apart from the factory.They are there to keep water from coming threw the srocket and brake hub splines.

Dirtcrasher
06-11-2012, 12:43 PM
The disc brake hub has a groove in it for an o-ring.

Stingray
06-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Helidad,
atc300r and Crasher are correct. The O-rings you seek are very thin and usually break apart with old grease and grim on old axles. Very easy to overlook when removing the sprocket and disc hubs.

Checkout an online parts listing like Service Honda.

Helidaddy
06-12-2012, 08:00 PM
OK, I believe all of you, and THANK YOU ALL for helping a new triker, BUT, I still can't see where these two o-rings go :wondering. I don't see the groove in the brake hub either.

As a side note, not sure if it's significant or not but I have an '86 axle going into an '85 everything else. I have noticed some differences like the '85 wheel hub doesn't go on the '86 axle without the spacer going on first!

Back to the o-ring problem; can someone please post a picture of the locations of these o-rings? Like a good, clear picture??? And a picture of the groove mentioned by
Crasher in the brake hub?

I looked at the online fiches at Service Honda and found these o-rings (39.6 X 1.3) but these don't look like the location that we're talking about here (again, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks again you guys!

I love this website

Dirtcrasher
06-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Screw it, grease it up nice and don't do any "snorkel type riding" I tear them apart near yearly and grease them all based on usage anyhow.......

Helidaddy
06-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Screw it, grease it up nice and don't do any "snorkel type riding" I tear them apart near yearly and grease them all based on usage anyhow.......

LOL. I'm at that point. After reading dozens of threads on the bearings and swinger issues, I'm tearing it apart regularly anyway. Wouldn't turn down the pics though.

Dirtcrasher
06-12-2012, 10:46 PM
It won't hurt ya!........