PDA

View Full Version : Tecate debore?

Swinger
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
I just traded a guy my 200x for an 85 Z last night. The z looks pretty rough but ok for a rider but needs a coil and was wondering if a blaster coil would work just to get it to fire up. Anyhow I traded the guy a set of 86 350X plastics for a 84-85 tecate motor so I could use the top end on mine and have it running today. Well I took a quick look at everything last night during the swap but didnt really tear into it. Today I took the top end off and the crank looked different than any other tecate crank I have so there went a flag. I measured the cylinder and its measuring 64mm. I know I should be at 70mm and was wondering if I stumbled upon a debore. My camera got destroyed so I can post any pics..sorry. Is there a reason the crank looks different and what are the specs that way I know if this is a debore. Thanks guys!

shortline10
06-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Measure the stroke and the bore and do the math ( Bore X Bore X Stroke X .7854 = cc )

I just traded a guy my 200x for an 85 Z last night. The z looks pretty rough but ok for a rider but needs a coil and was wondering if a blaster coil would work just to get it to fire up. Anyhow I traded the guy a set of 86 350X plastics for a 84-85 tecate motor so I could use the top end on mine and have it running today. Well I took a quick look at everything last night during the swap but didnt really tear into it. Today I took the top end off and the crank looked different than any other tecate crank I have so there went a flag. I measured the cylinder and its measuring 64mm. I know I should be at 70mm and was wondering if I stumbled upon a debore. My camera got destroyed so I can post any pics..sorry. Is there a reason the crank looks different and what are the specs that way I know if this is a debore. Thanks guys!

Swinger
06-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks shortline. I was curious about the balancers on the crank and wondered why it had these grooves machined into it so I took it to a friend at the local shop and he said it was turbo veining. Supposed to force the fuel and sometimes it was done to the head also. It also has some sort of old school PVL flywheel on it. Someone put some time and cash into this thing back in the day.

christph
06-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Back in the day some racers sleeved their Tecates down to 200 cc. I believe they did it to enter more races, perhaps to race against the 200x. The aftermarket made kits, pipes, etc. If that is what you have then you stumbled on a rare find.

just ben
06-08-2012, 01:09 AM
It's junk Dave! who would want a 200cc tecate? I will do you a favor, get it in the mail to me and I will dispose of it properly :)

just ben
09-11-2012, 09:19 AM
the engine followed me home (I put it in my truck while Dave wasn't looking) after the beaverdale hillclimb this weekend and it is infact a debore. the crank is veined and also has aluminum plugs in the holes that are next to the crank pin. The cylinder has a pretty radical port job but was done so cleanly I had to compare it to a stock cylinder to see all the work that was done to it. The rod also is modified,it has had some material removed from it and was polished. I will be sure that this engine gets disposed of properly dave. I guess it's time to dig out my parts and put another bike together. I just measure the stroke and it is 60.4mm which puts this engine at 197cc. It looks like the crank pin was lowered rather than a shorter rod.Now to search for a piston for it. all the debores I have seen have a smaller piston and the stock stroke. I am guessing it is a rotax piston in it since it is marked made in austria and having a single ring I am betting it's a snowmobile piston.

86T3
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I have a tecate debore piston, pick it up and see if its the same.

just ben
09-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I am going out to motioncraft tomarrow to dig through his piston stash if you will be around I will swing by.

oldskool83
09-11-2012, 10:15 PM
this is a long shot but by chance could you use air cooled kdx200 piston or components? like i said long shot but who knows.

just ben
09-11-2012, 10:47 PM
this is a long shot but by chance could you use air cooled kdx200 piston or components? like i said long shot but who knows.it is fairly close as far as the bore size but there is alot more than that to consider. I spent about an hour today at the dealer going through their piston books and I think it is an early skidoo 399cc piston but they list a left and a right which means the skirts are different. and may be a dead end. The shop I am going to visit tomarrow has been dealing in used parts for 20 years or better and its my best chance at finding a match.

bandito90
09-12-2012, 02:20 AM
Nice score,Dave. Ben can you post some pics?

Swinger
09-12-2012, 06:21 AM
I knew there was alot going on with this motor but got put on the back burner until life straightens out a little. Wasnt sure when that was gonna happen so I figured this was the perfect home for it. Good luck Ben and I hope I get to test ride this baby someday...or maybe it will make its way back, ha ha!

just ben
09-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Here is one not so good pic of the crank. sorry to jack your thread dave but it was your engine and I give you credit for digging up this diamond in the rough .153988 the left case is pretty much junk so it will be coming apart to go through everything , swap the cases and explore .

TecateDan
09-12-2012, 11:16 PM
listen to Ben he knows his trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro

just ben
09-29-2012, 09:14 AM
does anyone have a link to the 200 debore shootout that has been posted in the past? I found it before and thought I bookmarked it but now I can't find it.