PDA

View Full Version : tri-z transmission problems

jmax857
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
So I have been having some real problems with my tri-z transmission. The 6 speed that was originally in tthe bike had a problem with the 1st gear, I didn't have any 86 parts, so I put a 85 5 speed in it. I fully rebuilt the engine, and after about 10 hours, I somehow broke a dog and it bound up and cracked the cases.
So I bought a donor bottom end (85) that needed crank bearings. Today I split the cases at work, and pressed in the new bearings. But....
When I rmoved tthe transmission, the shaft closest to the crank, on the stator side. the small gear on the end fell off. The manual doesn't show which way the gear should be installed, also it had a washer on the end that looks different than the one that was on my lastt tranny, it has 4 little grooves in it. Also the reason the gear came off is because in the manual it shows a small clip to hold it on I think, but my old tranny didn't have the clip either and besides holding it for assembly it doesn't look needed. I can try and upload a pic from my blackberry, but its kind of a pain.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Or is there any pics or ttutorials showing the assembly of the ttranny?

I normallly wouldn't. Ask but the manual really lacks some detail.

Bryan Raffa
06-05-2012, 06:59 AM
hope this helps! angle cut in..there's no clip on this end.. just the grooved washer...I always throw a zip tie on the end.. when there out.

jmax857
06-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Pefect. Exactly what I waslooking for thankyou.
Also I realize now that the last trans, had the wrong washer. Probably why it broke on me I guess.
The only other thing I see is tat there are no thrust washers. Besides that one on the outside of the circlips on either shaft, is that right aswell?

the otha tri-z
08-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Just the picture I needed as well, thank you. I think I put that 2nd pinion gear in backwards. Better fix it before I finish reassembly. It looks as though the end with the flange should go against the push lever, right??? I have a question as well. On my clutch push rod one side is a little more narrow then the other. which side should go against the ball and which side should go against the push lever assembly?

jmax857
08-07-2012, 09:13 PM
As far as I can remember the rod is The same on both ends.
Put my tranny together as per the photo, been working great.
Thanks again

the otha tri-z
08-08-2012, 03:01 PM
As far as I can remember the rod is The same on both ends.
Put my tranny together as per the photo, been working great.
Thanks again

Good to hear yours is in good working order. My guess is that the rod was probably the same from factory but over the years it's worn down a little and probably from the side that was against the push lever assembly. So maybe I will put the more narrow side against the ball and call it good.