PDA

View Full Version : help before I part out my 250es

RiJiD-WILL
05-29-2012, 07:42 PM
I got my 250es going again after it popped out of third gear one day it just wouldnt start and couldnt get into neutral, it was hard shifting and not downshifting a few threads here helped I got the neutral light and everything seems great the motor runs but as soon as I get into third gear or put any tourque on the motor it just falls out of gear like its in neutral and then the same problem comes back no shifting I took the left side case off again and noticed the small flat stay that holds the bearing in behind the shifting mechanism that is bolted to the case was upside down not holding the bearing in I tightened that so it was holding the bearing in and it seemed like the fix BUT I rode it maybe 200' and third gear dropped again...

is third gear stripped is there something that maybe out of adjustment? I am about ready to just part it out but I hate parting any three wheeler out especially since I just put this low hour motor in :crazy: maybe it wasnt a low hour machine like the previous owner said :wondering

tri again
05-30-2012, 02:49 AM
Hi

The search key should pop up quite a few pages on
'popping out of gear'.

There was one case in the last couple days, some pin bends or breaks
but it's cheap and still available.

Pretty rare from what I've seen.

Does it look like someone's been inside that engine before?

RiJiD-WILL
05-30-2012, 07:00 AM
I did find a couple really old threads on it and the cause was that L bracket attached to the shift shaft mine looked fine and when I opened it up it looked like the stock gaskets and very little grime in the screen and cases, I don't think they have been taken off before this motor was sitting in a garage for 10 years when I found it.

I'll open the left side case again and see what happened it feels like that shift drum is really tight and binding the shifter which only happens after I get it into 3rd gear I went up and down smooth from 1st and 2nd. Out of the three times I've had the cases off I've found no metal or sign of broken pieces I'll take a pic before I mess with anything maybe someone will notice something out of place that I put back wrong.

RiJiD-WILL
05-30-2012, 07:39 AM
I did a search for popping out of gear and found some newer posts dirtcrasher is the man he responds most of the time on this issues with great advice and I've done exactly as he said to diagnose it moving the shift rum while spinning the tires I get thru this and everything seems to unbind and shift well until I put the side case back on and get up to 3rd. The pawls inside the shift drum look good and function well, so I am think ink from this post by dirtcrasher - Does your shift drum have a center bolt in it? If it does there is a rollpin/locating pin/dowel in there? they can shear off and the drum wouldn't manually rotate/shift. -

Should I loosen this center bolt or take it all the way out or will that create more problems in the trans? I've never been far into the 250es so I am timid about getting into the trans. And I don't have a garage to be splitting the cases.

tri again
07-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Did you ever find an answer?

RiJiD-WILL
07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
not yet I am going to open the side case today and take the shift shaft out I have a spare good one I'm also going to take the shift gear mechanism off and make sure its aligned and tight last time the bearing was loose maybe it wasnt the bearing stay that was loose but that little gear might be loose. hopefully I get somewhere.

RiJiD-WILL
07-04-2012, 01:39 PM
OK I think I found the problem. the shift drum was loose I took off the shift drum plate and inner gear with the pawls and there is a bolt in the center of the shift drum
it was so loose I tightened it by hand a few turns but I am checking the manual now for a torque spec. on it before I bolt everything up.

here is another thread with a similar problem and pics the first pic shows the shift drum.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/145655-85-250sx-doesn-t-waaaana-shift

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149905&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1341215061

the manual says to just tighten it so ill tighten it and let ya know what happens.

RiJiD-WILL
07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
here is a pic of what was loose.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j328/RiJiD/shift-drum.jpg