PDA

View Full Version : 84 200ES CDI Box Disection and Repair

kb0nly
05-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Yes you read the title right... I believe i have the reason why the 84 CDI dies! Mine just started doing the spark then no spark bit today, i found some posts saying i should smack it around a bit, i did, and what the heck it works again!! I ran it around a bit more and tapped on it a few times and the engine promptly died, i tapped on it some more and started it back up. Well this must be an intermittent connection i thought. I went through all the wiring, connector on the wiring harness, i even removed the pins from the shell and tightened them up a bit and reinserted, nothing worked except for tapping that stupid CDI box!!

I had a spare so i put that one on it and took the bad one in the house and called it an afternoon. After a couple hours of looking at it on the bench it was just taunting me to tear it apart as the good electronics guru that i am, so i did!

I looked at it closely, and with my electronics experience i knew right away what i had, a plastic box with the electronics set inside and potting compound poured in. So i carefully cut around the bottom edge to remove the bottom end of the box. The first thing i noticed was the corrosion on the component leads, its all thru hole old school electronics, not surprising for its age.

I flipped it over and sure enough the connector is two pieces and the o-ring can be removed, meaning they were trying to seal it up with this o-ring, but the problem is the female connector that connects to it is NOT sealed on the rear of it where the wires enter, and the wires are not in sealed insets so the water can migrate along the wires into the connector and then that o-ring does nothing but trap the water! Exactly the opposite of what you want. Eventually the water works down through the box and contaminates the circuit board connections. The sides of the box were also very loosely holding onto the potting compound, putting a small screwdriver in on the inside edge of the box side showed it was loose against the potting, meaning water could migrate in around the edges as well.

I then cut down the side of the plastic box and pealed it off to inspect whats on the other side of that board. Not much for components in there, a couple diodes, a capacitor, a triac, and one unknown component that i think is a resistor but i can't see clearly enough to fully identify a value, it could also be a axial capacitor thats next to the one diode. I checked the diodes and they are reading as they should, the cap won't test out with my capacitance meter in circuit and without being able to remove the potting i couldn't do anything more. It looks to me like its a very basic circuit, the inputs like the reverse and neutral switch along with the kill switch ground out the base lead of the triac, but not knowing much about how a CDI unit should function (yet, i am researching it so i can i figure out the circuit in this CDI box better for further diagnosis and duplication also if necessary) thats the best analogy i can make so far.

So i tackled what i could see! I cleaned the board of corrosion with a stiff brush and some contact cleaner, i will also use that to clean out the connector later but didn't get a shot of that. Then i took it to my rework station and desoldered all the component leads, applying fresh flux to clean out as much of the old solder as i could, then i soldered them again, then i desoldered them one more time, and soldered them again, this is how i do it to try and remove as much of the old solder as possible without access to both sides of the board, works every time reflowing it multiple times. If you do this just remember thats lead based solder with the age of these units, so use a fume unit to pull them away from breathing them in, but you don't have to be paranoid we are talking a very small exposure here.

I took it back out, wrapped in electrical tape to prevent shorts, and connected it up. Fired up on first pull with the recoil, and also worked fine with the electric start as well of course. I tapped and tapped and tapped, no problems the engine kept running perfectly, and i also noticed that with the spare on earlier it was cutting out on hard bumps. So this must be the problem, water gets in, causing a connection problem, and cleaning and resoldering fixes that up ok. I even shut off the engine and heated the CDI unit with a hot air gun, from enough distance as to not melt anything but heat it up, i got it to about 200 degrees fahrenheit according to my infrared thermometer, flipped on the kill switch and tapped the start button, fired right up and ran great! It doesn't seem to be shock or temp sensitive anymore.

I have a number of ideas for sealing this back up, among them is repotting in a slightly larger box, pouring potting into the bottom of the box first then filling it to totally encapsulate the circuit board as they should have. The problem is the way it was made, the circuit board is a tight fit to the inside of the box, so there is no potting compound under the circuit board or around the edges, so any moisture that does get in will slowly get to the board anyway by wicking through the board edges. You could probably smear the whole works with RTV and get a better seal then it had. If you go that route be warned, you need to put a couple layers of tape over the board and around it first. Some RTV has chemicals in, acetic acid, that quickly corrodes and eats away soft metals like copper. The better 100% silicone type sealants won't cause this problem. The other reason for the tape either way is it give you a release layer that would allow you to access the bottom of the board again if ever needed.

My other thought here was to make a custom CDI, removing the stock connector and soldering on a pigtail and a weatherpack connector, and replacing the harness connector with a weatherpack unit as well. But i think that the fact that its held up for 28 years, at least to the best of my knowledge as the previous owner stated he never replaced it and he only owned it for three months after buying it off the original since new owner, it should hold up another 20 years sealed up better after repairing!

Another thing you will have to do, and i plan on doing, is sealing up the mating connectors rear end where the wires enter. I figure a little RTV will help, but ultimately i will just make a rubber shroud to go over the back end and use some glue lined heatshrink tubing to seal it up.

Keep Wheelin!

GTO
05-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Thank you for this thread you might just be my saviour, I am suffering with exactly the same problems with my 4 200ES it is driving me crazy.
I have a couple of spare CDI's that are dodgey so i will try and open one of them up, my electronics knowledge is limited however.
I am now down to 2 good CDI's(I have had 3 go bad on me in the last 6 months!) and am considering new ones but they are expensive and unobtainable here.
I was considering using a Honda C90 CDI(a guy in the UK posted on this forum how he used one on a 200ES) which I can get on eBay much cheaper than the 200ES one.
But it has a square connector.

CRAZY70MAN
05-26-2012, 05:47 AM
Nice work! Mystery solved it appears. Those cdi's are very hard to find and have been a thorn in the side of my 200es a few times. It would be monumental if you could produce a proven working 100% sealed unit for a fair price. They would sell like hotcakes I am sure. I would be 1st in lune to buy oneI can tell you that. I have one that just started doing the exact same thing that I replaced. Interested in cutting it apart and trying to repair it? I would of course make it worth you time and pay for shipping?? Great work.......

jeswinehart
05-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Oh wow, very impressive read Scott ! That resin encapsulation pour looks terrible.
I know nothing about diodes,capacitors and those things but I do know resins for encapsulation so if I can be of any help at all, I would be more then happy to help further your project along.
Nice job, great work ! john

4x4van
05-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Impressive work! I'd like to see a schematic of the unit to figure out just exactly what the thing does. It's quite possible that a universal unit could be made that might actually work on all, or at least most, bikes. All of us, I'm sure, are fed up with paying obscene amounts for what appears to be a pretty simple device.

atc007
05-26-2012, 01:03 PM
AWESOME job KB !! I have always wanted to do this,but never found the time. And your knowledge in there buries mine,,but I would have seen the basics. GREAT work ,and Thank you !

shortline10
05-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Having to tap the unit to make it work would make me believe it was a cold solder joint ( meaning a part came unsoldered from the board ) . Did you inspect the parts with a magnifier before re soldering ?

kb0nly
05-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Let me try and answer all the questions in one post...

GTO - I have a forum post bookmarked, not on this forum but another, where a guy put a C90 CDI on his 84 200ES, and i can tell you, IT IS POSSIBLE. I bought a CDI unit and the mating connector from DrATV for a friends 84. http://dratv.com/cdiunit88d.html And i wired it up according to the info on that page, yes it you have to make sure yourself its in Neutral, no safety for it, but it works perfectly and runs just as good with the stock CDI unit. So don't worry and try it! I have seen a few guys selling the rectangular connector in a pigtail on eBay, if you search for CDI Connector they do show up, either the connector you have to install or the pigtail to wire in. Here is a tip and how i did it, you can remove the wires with their contacts from the stock connector and just install them into the rectangular connector, the crimp is the same and will work in the new shell, takes a little time with a small piece of wire or a dental pick to get the contacts released from the stock connector but its possible i did it!

crazy70man - As i just told GTO, its already available if you do a little wiring from DrATV. If you prefer to stay stock then it can still be done. I bought another unit off ebay, what was supposed to be a tested and working unit, it didn't work. Tapping it didn't work either. I was tempted to cut it open as well, but it cost me $60 and the guy offered a refund, so for that much money i will send it back and get a refund, i would bet it could be fixed but i could use the cash more! For right now i took my repaired one and wrapped it in three layers of self amalgamating splicing tape, its a rubber tape that is used in the electrical and cable industry for water proofing connections, after three layers of that i wrapped it in three layers of 3m Super 33+ electrical tape. And as a final seal i went around the connector with liquid electrical tape. After which i fired her up and rode through some huge puddles, more like mini ponds, after this mornings thunderstorm and downpour. I rode it for about an hour, through puddles, pouring rain, mud, etc. It stayed dry, so i don't think its going to be too hard to seal it back up, even the simple methods work. If you wanted to send your dead/dying unit to me i would be more than happy to have a look at it! I would like to see a few more inside to see if this is a consistent problem, if yours looks the same as mine did, and cleaning and resoldering fixes it, then perhaps we truly are onto whats causing the failures in all of them! I am still not totally ruling out a component failure yet! But i need a larger group of test units or people going through them like i did to rule that out. Send me a PM if you want to contribute a unit to the cause, i will dissect it, troubleshoot it, post up pictures of what i find in yours, and hopefully repair and test it on my 84. If it fixes yours to then we know!

jeswinehart - I used to do encapsulation and potting where i worked for years, and i agree, what a terrible job. It looks to me like they shoved it into the box, and it was a tight fit since the box was about the same as the board size, then they poured in granular fill and some epoxy, then topped it off with a black UV resistant potting to finish it off. Problem is they did not get a good bond to the inside walls of the box and the bottom of the board is fully exposed, which means water can still mess it up, and it did. If you look at some of the aftermarket units the seem to use a bit bigger box, the circuit board is probably the same basic thing inside but they discovered their error and used a bigger box for better sealing. As i'm sure you know, its not hard to do this right, but evidently the manufacturer of these failed horribly.

4x4van - I am desperate to get my hands on a schematic as well... Nothing i can find so far. I would be happy with just a standard CDI schematic so i understand how the CDI unit works on even a universal one. Obviously this 84 has a little more to it with the neutral and reverse safety, but from what i can tell the neutral and reverse input just ground the base lead of the triac, those two pins have continuity to the base of the triac through two diodes, the diodes allow the two lines to connect to the same point but work separately... In other words, you put it in Neutral and the Neutral switch makes that wire go to ground turning on the Neutral light and grounding that input to the CDI, but the reverse light doesn't also come on because the diodes separate the lines. I will post more as i find it.

atc007 - Thank you! I am hoping that this helps others, because so far my CDI is rock solid since repairing it, i don't know what else i can do to test it, i beat on it, i heated it up, i also cold sprayed it this morning before wrapping it up and sealing it with a freeze spray i used for diagnosing electronic components. I had it down to -20F according to my infrared thermometer. That was hard to do but i wrapped it in a towel and kept spraying in the freeze spray until it was a frozen brick, lol... It started right up!

shortline10 - My thoughts also, a cold solder joint or a corroded joint, either way it would have the same effect. Unfortunately inspecting it with a magnifying glass proved worthless because of all the corrosion on the solder joints, they were fuzzy with green corrosion from the water exposure. So the only way to troubleshoot further was to clean and resolder and that seems to have worked.

GTO
05-26-2012, 05:00 PM
GTO - I have a forum post bookmarked, not on this forum but another, where a guy put a C90 CDI on his 84 200ES, and i can tell you, IT IS POSSIBLE. I bought a CDI unit and the mating connector from DrATV for a friends 84. http://dratv.com/cdiunit88d.html And i wired it up according to the info on that page, yes it you have to make sure yourself its in Neutral, no safety for it, but it works perfectly and runs just as good with the stock CDI unit. So don't worry and try it! I have seen a few guys selling the rectangular connector in a pigtail on eBay, if you search for CDI Connector they do show up, either the connector you have to install or the pigtail to wire in. Here is a tip and how i did it, you can remove the wires with their contacts from the stock connector and just install them into the rectangular connector, the crimp is the same and will work in the new shell, takes a little time with a small piece of wire or a dental pick to get the contacts released from the stock connector but its possible i did it!

I have already had a look at DrAtv but they don't seem to ship to my neck of the woods, I emailed them and asked if they would considering adding South Africa to there list but they never replied.
I asked the seller on eBay that sells the C90 ones if they had the female connector and they came back saying they don't have the female connector.
So I will try and search on eBay for the connector. Thanks

Howdy
05-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I have already had a look at DrAtv but they don't seem to ship to my neck of the woods, I emailed them and asked if they would considering adding South Africa to there list but they never replied.
I asked the seller on eBay that sells the C90 ones if they had the female connector and they came back saying they don't have the female connector.
So I will try and search on eBay for the connector. Thanks

Have you tried getting someone to forward mail a package for you? You order, ship it to someone in the US and then they ship it to you. I could possibly do it, but I'm already shipping for 5+ different places / people and some days it is hectic.
Howdy

GTO
05-27-2012, 08:34 AM
I did a search on eBay but only one connector that comes up but it is for a pit bike and it isn't the right connector.
Thanks Howdy for the tip, I do know someone in Hawaii but I presume it costs extra to ship outside the continential US.

Howdy
05-27-2012, 08:44 AM
I did a search on eBay but only one connector that comes up but it is for a pit bike and it isn't the right connector.
Thanks Howdy for the tip, I do know someone in Hawaii but I presume it costs extra to ship outside the continential US.

Yes, international shipping cost quite a bit more. We do have a Flat Rate International ( Limit 4 lbs in the envelope ) for $16.95, and a few other option ( cheaper / slower ), ( faster and costly ). It's just more options for you.
Howdy

jeswinehart
05-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Parcel first class is way cheaper and always takes the smaller customs form. Priority flat rate or even the small priority box for anything that is under 4 pounds and can fit in a 18"x6"x10" box is a waste of money.
Our Priority mail, outside this country ain't priority to any other country. Something else I found out is the customs from is a tractable number.
Shipping our intake boots and other items to anywhere world wide cost me about $3.50 to $3.75

Howdy
05-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Parcel first class is way cheaper and always takes the smaller customs form. Priority flat rate or even the small priority box for anything that is under 4 pounds and can fit in a 18"x6"x10" box is a waste of money.
Our Priority mail, outside this country ain't priority to any other country. Something else I found out is the customs from is a tractable number.
Shipping our intake boots and other items to anywhere world wide cost me about $3.50 to $3.75

John, This is Good info!! My question is how long does the shipping take via Parcel First Class?
Howdy

jeswinehart
05-27-2012, 04:34 PM
It all takes about the same and in one particular case a heck of a lot quicker then Priority.
I shipped a white 350X head light shell to Wolfspider in the UK and that took about 3 weeks to get to him, in a priority box. I could not get packaged small enough + product required much packaging protection ~ cost was about 44 dollars
I had to send him out 4 replacement straps (originals was just too stiff and I warned him not to use, found that out while his white 350X head light shell was in longgg transit).
I shipped 4 replacement straps out via parcel first class and they got there in 8 or 9 days for just under 4 dollars.

KI4UJO
05-27-2012, 05:15 PM
OP, assuming you learned all of the electronic skills from amateur radio? They're good to have, you can work rare DX and drive on 3 wheels! Now, if its possible to combine both...

shortline10
05-27-2012, 05:42 PM
That's how I learned Mine :lol: KF4VYS here !!!!!

OP, assuming you learned all of the electronic skills from amateur radio? They're good to have, you can work rare DX and drive on 3 wheels! Now, if its possible to combine both...

KI4UJO
05-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Good to see some hams on here!

shortline10
05-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Yes sir , made it to a General class license , I have a 55' tower here at the shop as well but sadly I don't talk much !!!

Good to see some hams on here!

kb0nly
05-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I got into Ham Radio because of my electronics experience, was a natural move. Oh they could easily be combined, i was thinking i could pull my small trailer full of radio gear behind the 84 BR for Field Day this year.

www.kb0nly.info

I have two towers up along with a HF vertical so far.