PDA

View Full Version : supprised i haven't came into this sooner 250r woes...

Deathrocket
05-24-2012, 08:32 PM
went to do crank seals on my 81 250r and the collar between the crank gear and bearing is pitted might explain why its not running right, air leak at the seals, I need to find one but honda doesn't make em anymore, cant seem to find em on ebay either. anyone got any suggestions? and what if the crank is pitted on the other side? then what? do i have to split the case and refurbish the crank? what do i do?

fabiodriven
05-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Have a machinist make a collar if need be. The crank can be welded and turned (I think), but I seriously doubt there will be much damage to the crank itself.

Knobby Addict
05-24-2012, 10:28 PM
To add to Fabio's idea, the crank can be turned down to remove the pitting and a use a smaller seal if it can be located. There may also be plating options to bring the crank back to correct diameter for the stock seal.

Deathrocket
05-24-2012, 10:31 PM
147412 this is what i need.. anyone got one? the spacer is only pitted a tiny bit, but its right on one of the lip seals of the crank seal, so hopefully I don't have to split the case to do it..

Deathrocket
05-24-2012, 10:59 PM
oh yeah, the machinist thing did cross my mind, that is the last case senario, as it would probobally cost at least $100 if i had to have it made. when i know if i can find a used one i would be looking at 20..

sledcrazyinCT
06-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Worst case scenaro if he collar is not pitted too deep can you possibly rub JB weld on it and sand it smooth?