PDA

View Full Version : 200x spark knock

honda200x1987
05-24-2012, 04:51 PM
I have a 1987 200X and it spark knocks when the engine gets hot. I am thinking it is the regular gasoline , is that the culprit? I have adjusted the fuel/air mixture every way so should I run premium ? I have a full tank so can I use a little octain booster for now????

shortline10
05-24-2012, 05:04 PM
If your motor is still at stock compression you may have been dooked at the pump with some 87 octain . Drain the fuel and use a different gas station . I dont like booster to raise the octain but thats just my opinion .

honda200x1987
05-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks, I may have to do that. I always get my gas at the Smoke Shop here in Paducah Ky and it is the cheapest so I may have to just pay a little more. Yes my bike is original stock from the factory, never been apart and low hours. So what grade of gas should I actually use at the pump?
If your motor is still at stock compression you may have been dooked at the pump with some 87 octain . Drain the fuel and use a different gas station . I dont like booster to raise the octain but thats just my opinion .

shortline10
05-24-2012, 05:14 PM
93+ its a aircooled motor and can use all the help it can get to keep cool .

oscarmayer
05-24-2012, 06:52 PM
^ i always run 91+ in all my bikes and a lot of times dumb a little c16 left over from my son's race the weekend before because i haev to drain his carb abd tank to work on the bike so i end up with 1/4 gallon of c16 in the mix. ;)

honda200x1987
05-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Well I had some octane booster on hand and I had a full tank so I added just a little and that seemed to do the trick. No more spark knock, I will get the 93+ next time.

tri again
05-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Observations from a dummy..

I ran low on gas on my old 40's tractor and was forced to use
93 octane non ethanol fuel.
Now that this will run on kerosene, distillate and gas.

Anyway, running it hard for a few hrs, the heat waves were a consistent
8" tall off the muffler.

When I put in the expensive non eth gas, it ran way happier and heat waves dropped to
2".

I thought that alcohol would have a cooling effect but guess now that it runs hotter?
because the octane is lower?

Side note in the Honda manual says that if we run over 5,000 feet and jet leaner for
altitude, running them at sea level will run them hotter because they are too
lean and could cause engine damage.

No head trips or usable info here.
Just an observation from a dumb farmer.

Dirtcrasher
05-25-2012, 12:33 AM
It's stock. Run pump gas even if it isn't 87 oct and as goes.

If your valves are a bit spoiled, that can make for funny head stuff................

If there are a lot of things, just replace them.

A crummy cars can make trailprotrailpro machine quite a bt..........