PDA

View Full Version : 250 ES Big Red Battery

rogator40
05-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Just bought a 1985 ATC250ES today, overall in good shape but did not come with battery installed. Also in looking at it i dont think it has the tool tray installed.

Was hoping someone could post a few pictures of how this should look, I have a metal shelf in the back but it is open to the front and back so i am sure i am missing something, just looking for where to start.

Thanks In Advance,

tri again
05-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Hi and welcome.

Good news is you don't need a battery for it to run or
have lights.
the following words should light up as a clickable link

service manual

Lots of pictures

There should be a plastic box that hold the battery and a right angle sheet metal thing
that bolts down and holds the battery down.
It's like 5 or 6 inches across the top and 5 or 6 down.
You'll see a little hole in the battery 'shelf' that this thing bolts to.

Got spark?
gas tank nice and clean?
Make sure there's gear oil in the rear axle
among other things.

The search key should get you lots of fast answers too.

rogator40
05-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks, I will look at this.

As to condition yeah the gas tank is clean inside and no dents and good paint outside. Has original plastic that is not broken up.

It looks like the Ohtsu tires that were OEM are discontinued right?

WIll try to post pic's, hope to go through it and service it and change all oils this weekend.

tri again
05-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks, I will look at this.

As to condition yeah the gas tank is clean inside and no dents and good paint outside. Has original plastic that is not broken up.

It looks like the Ohtsu tires that were OEM are discontinued right?

WIll try to post pic's, hope to go through it and service it and change all oils this weekend.

were you able to download the service manual? (free)

www.dratv.com aka beatrice cycle has some oem tires.

Congrats on the clean tank. It should save you multiple carb cleanings
and good plastics are priceless.

Be careful with the oil filter as it can go in wrong very easily.
Pix in the service manual.
and the rear axle gear oil is like 3 Point 4 ounces of 80wt hypoid gear oil and it really likes to have every drop.
Hopefully it doesn't look like chocolate milk from water.

so it runs?

Please keep us posted.

rogator40
05-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Got manual.

It does run, have ridden a little by kick starting, dont want to run alot with out battery, i think it is hard on charging system.

Planning this weekend to drain differential and see what come out, hoping not milky.

Looked again at battery area, i have a shelf that battery sits on but it is open to the back and front, what am i missing that this battery box should have? cant imagine this is right