PDA

View Full Version : I saved a P3 today

captainweezy
05-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Well I had high hopes of this being complete and in better shape but I was not so lucky. Thanks to a local buddy(thanks Nick), I was able to drive only 20 miles and pick up this ol girl that is in need of a little help. The original thought was going to be for a buddy that has no use in his left leg but I really don't want any projects this big right now. No matter what I do with it, I still feel like I saved it from being junked or scraped. Not sure on what it will need besides put together, carb, tires headlight. It was obviously taken apart for a reason. For what I paid for it, I couldn't help myself.
P.S.
I really just wanted to be in Howdy's p3 club!

Xowner
05-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Wow i thought the one i grabbed was ruff. This one is ruff. Good save tho

captainweezy
05-21-2012, 10:04 AM
It was pouring when i got home so i didnt even unload it and give it a very good look. I know there were around 600 produced but is there an actual exact number of total units?

Howdy
05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I read on the Polaris web site a few years ago that 1716 of them were produced. It was in a write up about their 50th anniversary.
Howdy

MIK6
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the club captain!!! Lol
Did you ride my P3 at TF? If you did youd be thinking about fixing that thing up.. lol

MIK6/ Mike

dirtface
05-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Looks pretty much complete, looks like a good base for a restoration!!! Nice find!!

JJMF1979
05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Welcome to the club and don't worry the one I got is in just as bad of shape almost but we all know with some time and tlc we can bring them back to life, or you could sell me some parts lol

Blown 331
05-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Awesome, I've got 2 of them are pretty decent. I'm just down near St. Louis. If you ever decide to part with it for whatever reason, I am interested in any condition.

Blown 331
05-22-2012, 12:00 PM
I read on the Polaris web site a few years ago that 1716 of them were produced. It was in a write up about their 50th anniversary.
Howdy

Didn't the factory buy up what was still in the dealer? I think I heard that. I wonder how many running bikes are left?

Big Mike
05-22-2012, 01:55 PM
I wish we could get some more "definitive" information about the production numbers, how many are left, etc, etc. When I wrote to Polaris about this a few months ago, I got THIS bu!!sh!t response:

"Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries. We appreciate hearing from all our consumers but the information that you are requesting is proprietary information and we don't share some of the information to remain competitive and #1 in the market.

If you visit www.polarisindustries.com you will see the full line up of our products. You can learn more about our history and heritage under the "Company" tab.

Again, thank you for contacting Polaris Industries. "

Consumer Services

Polaris Industries, Inc.

JasonB
05-22-2012, 02:26 PM
good save! needs some love but good purchase

captainweezy
05-22-2012, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=MIK6;1127585]Welcome to the club captain!!! Lol
Did you ride my P3 at TF? If you did youd be thinking about fixing that thing up.. lol
No i didnt ride yours last year at trikefest. I should have though. I didnt see or do everything i wanted to. This year im going to try to arrive at least one day earlier.

Lil Earl
05-22-2012, 04:32 PM
i am in love with polaris, we have about 6 right now, altough they are quads, i am looking for one of those p3's. if you decide to get rid of it. let me know

CRAZY70MAN
05-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the club Captain. I was pretty impressed with there acceleration. Lot's of work ahead for me and mine also..........I got one anyways.....congrats.

captainweezy
05-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Well here are some new pics. I got her checked out a little bit more and I tell ya, I have no time or energy to even start a project like this. Def in need of more than I want to attempt to do. I have located another one though that is a pretty clean runner. I will probably be posting this up in the classifieds soon. I bought it sight unseen and I have to live with that but I still feel like I saved it. I would put money on it that it would have gone to the wrong person or may have been taken to salvage soon. Thanks for all your comments.

As you can see in the last pic, it does not belong here!:lol::lol: nice piece of history though.:beer

Blown 331
05-24-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm still interested and pretty close. Can you PM me when you post it for sale, I don't check the classifieds much and probably wont see it. Or PM me the price at any time.

captainweezy
05-24-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm still interested and pretty close. Can you PM me when you post it for sale, I don't check the classifieds much and probably wont see it. Or PM me the price at any time.

Yep no problem, I pmed you.

captainweezy
05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Well guys, it looks like it will def be going to a great new home in a few days. Im delivering it to ryan aka blown31 on monday. A couple things to note are the rims and the headlight. The rims look like the tecate first gen and the headlight looks like a honda 200sx/-125 trx. Am i right??

MIK6
05-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Well guys, it looks like it will def be going to a great new home in a few days. Im delivering it to ryan aka blown31 on monday. A couple things to note are the rims and the headlight. The rims look like the tecate first gen and the headlight looks like a honda 200sx/-125 trx. Am i right??
Yep.. 1st get tecate rims.. 225dx front forks w a blaster headlight..

MIK6/ Mike

Blown 331
05-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks again, hopefully I can get it back into service. If not I'll track down a 4-wheeled parts bike to fix it. It will be in good company, here are my others.
The headlight and wheels are original to the Polaris. I think the headlight is actually 225 Yamaha but I don't doubt that it could be the same as a TRX125/200, I haven't seen one in awhile. I also thought the same thing on the wheels- the 84 Tecate. Even the tires are the same as a Tecate I think. But I've never heard anyone else bring that up.

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Blown_331/scramblers.jpg

Blown 331
05-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Yep.. 1st get tecate rims.. 225dx front forks w a blaster headlight..

MIK6/ Mike

Just beat me!

Big Mike
05-25-2012, 03:30 PM
That shifter knob needs to be saved for reproduction.

Blown 331
05-25-2012, 03:37 PM
That shifter knob needs to be saved for reproduction.

Thats what jeswinehart was telling me yesterday, that they are always missing. Both of my bikes have them so I had no idea. I have an alumilite pastic / rubber casting kit and I'm trying to figure out what my first project will be. It was going to be the Polaris tank emblems but I found some on ebay and someone else it working on that now. I would tackle that knob but I think there is actually someone else on here that is already working on that mold as well!

swampthang
05-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Gezz, Blown331 when are you going to open up a P3 museum?:lol: That will make for a nice collection for sure. At least I got to go test ride that one p3 you have before you bought it. Rode like a caddy! These things are def comfy cruisers. Good luck on the new P3. Another one located and saved:)

CRAZY70MAN
05-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Is that seat fairly plush ?? I will take it off your hands for the right price???? Any tear,rips??? describe it a little.......

Xowner
05-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Is that seat fairly plush ?? I will take it off your hands for the right price???? Any tear,rips??? describe it a little.......

Its a seat with a cover and your ass goes on it. Sorry i had to

Blown 331
05-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Gezz, Blown331 when are you going to open up a P3 museum?:lol: That will make for a nice collection for sure. At least I got to go test ride that one p3 you have before you bought it. Rode like a caddy! These things are def comfy cruisers. Good luck on the new P3. Another one located and saved:)

Haha. Remember that guy who I bought my 2nd one from. That guy was unreal. "I've had like every bike ever made but I sold them all for twice what I paid. I've got guys who come from California and New Jersey to buy my bikes, because all my bikes are the best you can find. And all your bikes are worth $100 each because you aren't me, I'm awesome" That was a paraphrase. lol.

I didn't see where this machine was being parted out and it looks like the whole bike is spoken for. What a dick.
But........ If you need your seat restored to factory condition see the Mosh's on here at cosmic quads.

swampthang
05-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Haha. Remember that guy who I bought my 2nd one from. That guy was unreal. "I've had like every bike ever made but I sold them all for twice what I paid. I've got guys who come from California and New Jersey to buy my bikes, because all my bikes are the best you can find. And all your bikes are worth $100 each because you aren't me, I'm awesome" That was a paraphrase. lol.

You hit the nail on the head! That guy needed some help and I was about to give him some:lol: First his dad hits on my mom. Then he only lets me ride it for 2.5 seconds because its out of gas(I open the tank and it had plenty) He starts telling about how he's some kind of used atv hussler and does his whole used car salesman bit on me trying to get me to buy it. I shoot him a lowball offer because I dont want it now because of the way hes acting. He cusses me out and I go home. The next day he starts calling me cussing me again saying I Flagged his ad on craigslist(Which I didnt) He continues to call me and says he will take my offer to come and get it. I live about 2 hours away I wouldnt have went back if it was 2 miles away. Nice bike I would have bought it but the kid ruined the deal with his stupidity. Prolly happened for a reason it ended up at the right home with the other P3. My 250r Honda would gotten jealous of the 250r Polaris anyways:lol:

captainweezy
05-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Its a seat with a cover and your ass goes on it. Sorry i had toYep sorry boys she is spoken for. A big thanks goes out to blown331. Cant believe he traded me his 350x and 250r for it. Heck i found the p3 in a ditch so i think i did pretty good! :lol: see ya monday as long as all goes well here. Had a rough night.

JJMF1979
05-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Hey I have heard alot about repro P3 parts and need alot of stuff for mine so anybody doing any of this shoot me a PM so I can get in on the action too....Thanks Jeff