PDA

View Full Version : Machine shop ruined my head!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erics350x
05-20-2012, 05:30 PM
I picked up my 350x head from the machine shop the other day and when i was putting it together i notice they had blasted the cam journals! I was just finishing up my 350x motor and fired it up to find it tapping real loud. I am pissed and im sure out of luck. This old man i can tell is very stuck in his was and will never admit he did anything wrong. I may just drive by his shop and sling the damn thing through his window.

Shorty
05-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I picked up my 350x head from the machine shop the other day and when i was putting it together i notice they had blasted the cam journals! I was just finishing up my 350x motor and fired it up to find it tapping real loud. I am pissed and im sure out of luck. This old man i can tell is very stuck in his was and will never admit he did anything wrong. I may just drive by his shop and sling the damn thing through his window.

Well too save that head I would guess you could get a oversized double roller bearing cam from mega cycle.

Thats what I would do or you could figure out some way to put some sort of a bushing in there.

350xmerk
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I got one that's sand blasted no valves or anything you could put your parts in pm me

Dirtcrasher
05-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Thats a shame. Apparently he doesn't know what cam journals; I guess you should have taped them off or educated him.

Unfortunately allot of guys need instructions......

EDIT- What was he supposed to do? just shave off a few thousandths because it wasn't flat??

Regardless, that suks; Good 350X heads are hard to find for a reasonable cost......

daniel_250r
05-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Take it in and throw it at him make sure he never touches a part again any machinist should know that

Erics350x
05-20-2012, 09:24 PM
The sad part is that the head was fine before. I was just goin through everything while I was installing the new piston, cam, ect...

Dirtcrasher
05-20-2012, 10:17 PM
So cylinder wise; He was boring it and blasted all the stuff?

Why did he even touch the head (unless was seating/changing valves)

Sorry to hear bud.......

riverrat
05-20-2012, 11:29 PM
You can go back to him with a witness and it's all in the way you ask him, you can get him to admit he ruined it. Then tell him he wasn't supposed to do what he did.

Erics350x
05-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Im gonna see what he says, all i can do. He was just suppose to check everything and throw in new valve seals. I think i have another one hid somewhere if i didnt trade it off.

On another note, I just tossed on a 37mm FCR carb and man this thing is a beast. Went from bone stock to a bunch of modds all at once. I can't wait to get it riding again.

oscarmayer
05-21-2012, 05:04 PM
if he was not supposed to blast it, then he was dead wrong for doing so. cleaning is one thing, but blasting should never ever happen unless discussed. there's a good chance, he screwed soemthing else up and blased it to hide the evidence.

muthey
05-21-2012, 10:42 PM
they do make a flapper wheel sander that might be able to clean it if it's not blasted to bad and you are able to clean it up with light pressure, otherwise he destroyed the original journals, and unles you oversize with custom races or do an oversize cam it's toast, sorry to hear what happened I hate careless machinists. O r about the idiots they have working for them.

Dirtcrasher
05-22-2012, 08:24 AM
I'd put the cover on the head and use a small hone, (like for caliper honing) Then just measure it up and see whatccya got!

He didn't blast it with rocks? did he?

malibulvr
05-24-2012, 03:26 AM
Wheel cylinder hone, that may just do it but not sure what the finish is supposed to be. Good luck

Dirtcrasher
05-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Keep the drill on low and just barely have some pressure on it You really have to in and out quickly and not affecting the finish'

Hones cross hatch for a cylinders is about 30 degrees.

I bit harder going in and out of a caliper

I have just cleaned the grooves with a sharp pick and then just went in and out to those same degrees. Your other option was what we use to do, get some WD forty, clean it out an just clean it up cylinder.........................