PDA

View Full Version : Polishing

TrailerRider
05-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Does anyone do chrome/aluminum polishing (except for gking can't seem to get ahold of him)? Got an old Answer pipe and would like it polished or chromed.

yaegerb
05-18-2012, 12:16 AM
I will polish it. Send me a pm if you are interested.

TrailerRider
05-18-2012, 01:05 AM
I will polish it. Send me a pm if you are interested.

PM sent :)

oscarmayer
05-18-2012, 12:31 PM
in for details when polishing is complete.

86T3
05-18-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm real curious how you're going to polish steel

JasonB
05-18-2012, 06:42 PM
GKIN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh ya no answer lol sorry

badass350x
05-18-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm real curious how you're going to polish steel

There are aluminum silencers you know! And you can chrome aluminum!!!!

yaegerb
05-18-2012, 10:02 PM
uh, because its aluminum. Most "silencers" aren't made of steel :)

But I can polish steel too :) Take a look at my 200x flat track build.

86T3
05-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Who said anything about polishing a silencer?

badass350x
05-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Who said anything about polishing a silencer?

My bad, swear it said silencer , guess Im seeing things in my older age!!!

86T3
05-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Its alright, i got a kick out of this. Usually i'm the one who reads it wrong and gets it. Yaegerb, i ran threw your thread quick and didn't see anything about polishing steel. i know it can be done, but why? There was an article in one of ol skool rods magazines about a guy with a completely polished frame, suspension, etc. He slathered the whole thing with some sort of penetrating oil to keep it from rusting but occasionally he had to go over the whole thing with a buffing wheel. To each is own though.

yaegerb
05-19-2012, 07:36 PM
if you look at my bike I have polished all of my motor bolts and my kicker case piece, both made from steel. I don't know why, I just like shiny things. I have been polishing for about 5 years now with a 1/2 horse motor. I use sisal wheels and emery to get that nice shine to steel and then finish it off with rouge, so its very possible to polish steel and if you have patience it will look just as good as aluminum. Yes, there were no mention about a silencer in this thread, my bad. He wants me to start with his aluminum silencer and then move to his pipe which is steel. So if a guy wants something completely polished I am game for just about anything.

86T3
05-20-2012, 12:13 AM
I just don't know why you'd do it, it will rust and ruin all the hard work you put it. At least clear it or maybe have it nickel plate. chromed. I also like a polished look, here's a link to my build

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/135370-86-tecate-TT-build?highlight=86+tecate+tt+build

Marty
05-22-2012, 02:44 PM
All I can say is chrome the silencer don't polish it. I usually but those Answer silencer used send them to the chromer and have the tip powder coated black. and it is so much easier to clean parts that are chromed than polished chrome you just spray and clean with water and don't have to polish ever again. but i only ride in the sand so I guess that"s why it holds up great..
If you want message me your phone number and I will send you a pic of an Answer silencer I have for my TRX 250R that I had powder coated black and used for the first time chrome color powder coat. That is a spare silencer and I never have used it just sits in garage wrapped in case I or friends of mine break theirs.