PDA

View Full Version : 250R front hub question?

xman2rman
05-17-2012, 11:49 AM
I put new bearings and seals in my front hub last night and forgot to put the long spacer/collar between the bearings. I don't want to take a chance messing up a new bearing by driving it out to put the spacer in. What's that piece of pipe for any way? The bearings seat in the hub so they can't go in any further. The only thing I can think of is if your bearings fail, the spacer would keep the inside race from going in the hub... Looks like I just shaved a few ounces off the front end huh? :wondering

torque
05-17-2012, 11:57 AM
that spacer is is there to keep the axial load of of the inner race. with out the spacer loads on the brgs will be transferred length ways across the axle and they will fail quickly.

if you a very careful and with the right punch/driver you may be able to drive the brg out on the outer race with out damaging the seal and ball brgs

xman2rman
05-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. That spacer just rides on the axle between the bearings. Are you aying that it is to keep the inner races from wandering on the axle?? YES! Now that does make sense. I should have known them Honda engineers were smarter tham me! LOL.

torque
05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
when you tighten the axle into the fork the spacers on the out side of the clamp down with force and the inner race. the space in the hub is there to prevent side load, on the inner race. i think that make a bit more sense than my last reply