PDA

View Full Version : New BW200 Owner: Introduction & Pics of Other Toys

jp212
05-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Hi everybody! I finally am a Yamaha Big Wheel owner as of last Saturday! I LOVE oddball stuff and when I was a little guy I saw an older Honda Fat Cat that a kid down the road had and I knew I had to have one. I probably didn't need it since I already have 2 Yamaha sport bikes (an R6 and FZR1000), 2 Honda XR's and about a dozen 6x6 Amphibious ATVs, yes 12 of them (it's a sick obsession I have:D, just ask the guys over at www.6x6world.com ) but you can have never have too many toys so I went for it.

The story behind this is that I came across it advertised as part of an auction at a tow truck company. There were other larger auctions going on that day so it wasn't very crowded at all and most of the people there weren't after toys like the BW, so long story short I ended up getting it for a mere $225. I was SUPER excited because I thought it was going to go a good bit higher than it did. The owner was there and told me he bought it from the original owner that did a conversion on 5 BW200's which consisted of a beefed up front and rear suspension. While working on it I found out the entire front end, triples, forks, brake system (cross drilled disc & dual piston caliper), wheel and hub were all from a 1985 or 86 Honda ATC250R, which had a full 3.5" of additional travel compared to the stock BW200 forks. The rear was converted to an ATC250R monoshock. My dad and I changed the oil, cleaned the fuel system out, and got it running and driving the same day I bought it. No smoke at all and it revs smooth with no missing or knocking.

The good: It runs great with no smoke as I mentioned, the ATC250R front suspension and brake conversion makes the bike feel pretty good, it has an aftermarket DG pipe that sounds nice, the tires are in good shape, it's straight and not dinged up, and somewhat complete minus the stock suspension parts, and the best part, I got it cheap.

The bad: It sat for a long time, but inside at least. The wheel bearings in the front are shot, the air box was hacked up to fit around the rear monoshock conversion, the carburetor is finicky on the idle/low end, the stock headlight and chain guard cover is missing, the rear monoshock conversion needs to be replaced, the front fender needs replaced, the header pipe is rusted through.

I'm doing a full restoration on it and I'll be powder coating the frame and making it look as good as I can without spending too much on it. I want to convert the rear suspension back to dual shocks (maybe ones that are an inch or two taller than stock......any suggestions would really be appreciated). I'll have some more questions for you guys as I work on the restoration here. Thank you for having me aboard this helpful site. And here's some pictures of a few of my 6 wheelers......they're fun, and if you have any old junk ones you want me to take off your hands let me know and we can work out a deal. :D

And I can't forget the BW200. This is it as it was pictured on the auction website, then right after I bought it.

ebaccm26
05-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Welcome and grats on the bw, should be a good project and there a ton of fun to ride. As for the 6x6's thats quite a collection, bet you have a lot of fun with them, my friend has a few and I know we always have a great time with them.

just ben
05-17-2012, 08:18 AM
welcome to the site. Where in the buffalo area are you?

jp212
05-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm just south of Buffalo in Hamburg, not far from Eden at all.

thestud25
05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Those 6 Wheelers are awesome! I want one so bad, but every time I find one in my area they are beyond repair or way too expensive.

just ben
05-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm just south of Buffalo in Hamburg, not far from Eden at all. oh shoot, is there anywhere to ride there anymore? I rode from east aurora to lakeview about 8-9 years ago and we hit some trails in hamburg but I know the thruway trail is barricaded now

tri-shee
05-18-2012, 10:13 PM
great collection you have there . I have the whole collection of bw's and the honda fatcat

jp212
05-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, and I see all you guys have some very nice toys too! I actually just bought another 1985 BW200 last weekend. I'm currently tearing down my first BW200 for a full restoration. I'll be starting the tread on it shortly.

tri-shee, your addiction to BW's is just like my addiction to 6 wheelers........cool! Keep the collection growing.

just ben, we sometimes ride the gas line trails, but I haven't been there in over a year. There's a nice variety of terrain and it's always fun to stop at Shunk's West Hill Grill after the ride. Danny always serves up great food there.

tri-shee
06-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the compliments . I like your 6 wheeler collection . Very cool .