PDA

View Full Version : Help neaded fouling plugs every 10 mins

350xmerk
05-16-2012, 11:47 PM
I recently built my 86r, new motor yada, all I have is fmf fatty answer silencer. First couple days ran great all of a sudden it's fouling plugs can only ride 10 mins then it states sputtering, no power band change the plug it runs great for about another 10 minutes. I'm running 32/1 golden spectro in my gas, had some trash from my air filter falling off mount go in the carb,could it be getting to hot and killing the plugs? Please help I'm at a loss

Vealmonkey
05-17-2012, 12:06 AM
So, do you think it could be your wheel bearings causing the problem? LOL C'mon man. If your plugs are fouling it's one of 2 problems. Fuel or oil. A dirty air filter can cause a rich condition of your plugs. But here's the kicker....We can't see your spark plug! LOL You have the plug right there at your disposal. Pull it out. What does it look like? Wet and shiney or dull and black? Dull and black, excess fuel or lack of air. Wet and Shiney, oil. Have you run a compression check? Break a ring? If you're running a filter, how did crap get past it and into your carb? Did you run the trike without the filter? And if stuff falls into the carb inlet, were you holding the thumb throttle open for it to get past the carb slide? Something ain't making sense here. It's like you're leaving info out. How would trash in your carb cause the engine to run hot? How much crap are we talking got into your carb?

350xmerk
05-17-2012, 01:33 AM
The filter fell off the mount in the air box, had some trash get threw in the boot probably got to the carb, I'm just asking would an engine running hot kill a plug, not that trash makes it run hot.. Have not checked compression yet. here's a pic the plug

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/Asd59878/d1ad7e37.jpg

350xmerk
05-17-2012, 01:36 AM
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/Asd59878/9cb72938.jpg

yamaha driver
05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
airfliter clean?

just ben
05-17-2012, 08:48 AM
32:1 with golden spectro? Did you read the bottle? 12oz. per 5 gallons of gas =52:1 You have nearly twice the oil that is recommended. I'm pretty sure they did their homework before printing that on their product. I have run golden spectro and pulled engines apart that were running at the recomended ratio and trust me,it is plenty of oil to keep it lubed.The reason it would run good then suddenly run like junk and foul plugs is from all the excess oil in the crank case. Drain the gas and start with a fresh mix at the proper ratio then run the hell out of it to burn of the excess oil. You will probably go through a few more plugs but it beats tearing the engine down to flush the case out.

atc300r
05-17-2012, 09:47 AM
It wouldnt take much dirt to score your piston and take out your rings.did you replace the crank seals aswell.Also a bad coil can do the same thing. And they could be running great one second and not the next. I messed with my 85 for a couple months before I figured out the coil was bad. Changed the ,airfilter,new crank bearings and seals,new plugs,carb kit. each time I changed something it ran a little better.When I changed the coil it came back to life.just my two cents.

350xmerk
05-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Air filter is semi clean, have new one on order you just can't buy one around here sadly, I read on the forum in here when searching you could run goldb spectro 32:1, I guess I was mistaken lol. I hope I did not break a ring being this engine has a total hour n it from Honda factory. I'm disgusted, I also don't have another coil to check it with