PDA

View Full Version : How can I make my white plastic whiter?

swampthang
05-15-2012, 09:00 PM
The white on my 86 X is showing its age. Is there anything I can spray on to clean it? I was thinking something like white wall cleaner or somekind of bleach. What will make this look clean and not mud stained anymore. I'm really not looking forward to sanding on the fenders because thats major time consuming. Ive been there done that! These fenders have a few small cracks in them so not really wanting to put major time into them if theres another way.

fire1
05-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Try some mothers aluminum polish on it.

MickeyC
05-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Swampthang, I used "comet soft scrub with bleach" on my cr250. Some guy at the track turned me on to it, and it worked great for me. Even on the plastic white tank with the gas vapor stains. But I will worn that the soft scrub is coarse, and will leave very fine scratches and more of a "flat" bright white look. And I am just throwing this out there, I have never tried it on any bike, but "jomax" vinyl siding cleaner works wonders on my house without scrubbing...?

Deathrocket
05-16-2012, 10:17 AM
what about westly's bleach white? works good for white walls....

honda200x1987
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I remember sometime back in 1989 or 1990 a friend of mine owned a 1986 TRX250R. It had the white plastic and it was kinda dingy looking so he took it to a place called "Dirt Works". They steam cleaned them and they turned out like new and if I remeber right steam cleaning took out the scratches and made them shine !, not sure who would do that now. I do know one way that might work, if you take a high pressure hose,not the kind at the car wash they are not quite as powerfull but the kind that is electric and that is used for pressure washing houses. I used it on a set of white fenders on a TRX200SX and they turned out super white. The one I used had a super high pressure and if you got too close it would rip off the decals but I was carefull, it got down into the pits and scratches and they looked perfectly clean.

f4istunna
05-16-2012, 11:31 PM
I use a pressure washer like 2500 psi it takes the dirt out of the scratches . if some stubborn stains leftover i use those scrubbing pads like steel wool with a soap in them (cant remember the name off hand) they do leave faint scratches and take the shine out like mentioned with the soft scrub but for a rider if you just want to whiten it up it works great. Then if i want to get some shine back i usually polish them up working a coat or 2 of wd40 or 3m handglaze into them. i used to ride in this red clay/mud alot and it stained the plastics something horrible, to where a pressure washer wouldnt do much to them at all, the wifes scrubbing pads did the trick.