PDA

View Full Version : Might need to sell my X..

rodeofan5656
05-15-2012, 11:57 AM
so im graduatin this sunday, and need to start savin for college at NCKTC. ill need all the money i can get. i dont have the money to rebuild my '86 200x, and its gonna need it pretty soon. do you think i should try to sell it? should i see how much i can get outta it? or should i try to hang on to it and rebuild it next summer when i got more money? opinions? i love the thing, but need to pay for skoolin. im already stressin about gettin the money

jdtench
05-15-2012, 12:18 PM
That's a tough one. Going by how you've described it, you'd miss it if you sold it. I would consider other options before selling it. I don't know how much these things are going for these days, so I don't know how much you could get out of it. Also, in my area, they don't come up for sale very often. I just got through with grad. school, so I understand schooling expenses. I paid many semesters with a credit card. I did sell my 2003 Honda Rubicon, my jon boat, and hunting bow for school, but never my trike. You do what you have to do, I just know that I'd regret selling mine.

xman2rman
05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I agree and regret selling my 200X's and 86 350X. Some thing are much easier to replace when you can afford them but 3 wheelers are getting harder to come by everyday. Bottom line is you have to do what you have to do sometimes though. Congrats on your Grad. and going to collage too!

bmanley
05-15-2012, 02:32 PM
DON'T DO IT!! I sold my 86 ATC250R in perfect condition for $800 back in 1992 to help pay for college, and it is one of my biggest regrets to this day. Anything close to it today, with all the extras I had on it, would cost me $3-$4k.

Jason125m
05-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Don't sell it man.... You won't find another 86, and I don't see it being worth while for the monbey you'd get for it. Find yourself a job aand work some overtime! My X aint going anywhere no matter what.

atc007
05-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Congratulations on graduation ! There are some good grants out there. I despise borrowing money for Anything.. BUT,,investing in yourself IS the best investment you can make. Chase down ALL the grants you can,,federal ,local, PELL,FASFA,, If you have ever been a ward of the state past 16 yo,,there is a TON ,,almost full ride,,of money available .. I am currently putting my son thru Criminal Justice,,we were promised a full ride for him because he was in foster care etc,,it was a load of BS. So it's coming out of my pocket. He gets around $2775 a year or semester,,I can't remember. Good luck with everything ,and don't be afraid to ask for help!!

JasonB
05-15-2012, 03:16 PM
sell it man. your education is way more important than a bike, it hurts to accept that but you can buy all the trikes you want and SAVE ALOT MORE after you get a real paying job. be honest with yourself here. you wont regret it! Besides, when you get more money from that better job you can get yourself a bigger bike like the 350x ;) honestly its hard to do but think about yourself here man! Cant help anyone if you cant help yourself

yaegerb
05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
My two cents...I rebuilt a 1982 250R the summer before I went away for college and decided to sell it for books/spending money. I don't regret going to college, but there isn't a day that goes by I don't wish I had retained that bike and found a different way to get my money for college. Your choice, just make sure you don't regret the choices you make.

200x350xtriz250
05-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Since it sounds like is in need of a rebuild - sell it. Doesn't sound like you have a lot of time or $ wrapped up in it yet, so it should be fairly easy to replace in time. I understand that some others have posted the opposite based on their personal expeiences but it sounds like they poured both time and money in their bikes, then sold them and regretted later. Doesn't sound like you're in the same boat yet. 86's are harder to find than the first gens but not imppossible.

Trackburger
05-15-2012, 08:01 PM
I have sold many trikes over the years and regretted it..... BUT..... you will be able to find another one. if your only going to get a couple hundred bucks for it though i'd consider keeping it....heck mow a couple lawns in your neighborhood to make up for the few hundred dollars if you have to.

rodeofan5656
05-16-2012, 12:13 PM
well, i rode it for an hour yesterday. i still need to put my Barnett clutch in it, cause this ones wantin to slip alittle. i spent so much time on that carrier tho, and gettin the axle straightened was a b***h! it doesnt have brakes at all, rear plastics, etc. front tire is only about 4 months old, aftermarket 10in aluminum rims. the guy i got it from tried to get $600 and just couldnt get anythin over $400. i dont wanna go that low :(

oscarmayer
05-17-2012, 01:03 PM
sell the cluthc to someone on here and sell the bike on CL. yea $400 is abotu what you can expect considering the shape.

oldskool83
05-19-2012, 10:16 PM
keep the bike. a few hundred bucks wont mean crap. apply for a job work and study your butt off. Ive sold a lot of things i regrete. i didnt sell my streetbike to go to college. you might even decide college is not for you. i did. i dropped out making more money then i could of finishing....dont sell the trike...but 1st post a pick of it.

RaceBannon
05-19-2012, 10:44 PM
so im graduatin this sunday, and need to start savin for college at NCKTC. ill need all the money i can get. i dont have the money to rebuild my '86 200x, and its gonna need it pretty soon. do you think i should try to sell it? should i see how much i can get outta it? or should i try to hang on to it and rebuild it next summer when i got more money? opinions? i love the thing, but need to pay for skoolin. im already stressin about gettin the money

Hate to say it but, coming to the realization of needing $ for college a week before you graduate from high school, your going to have to sell the trike. You'll have plenty of time and more money to work with AFTER college. Just a dads .02.

captainweezy
05-20-2012, 10:33 AM
It doesn't sound like it is a mint bike. These 86's are out there, you just have to be patient looking for one. I have to agree with atc007, I do not believe in borrowing money if at all possible. My opinion is sell it.

rodeofan5656
12-30-2016, 02:23 PM
Time to spark up an old thread! I graduated from Diesel Technology at North Central KS Tech College. I held onto the trike. But unfortunately, my stepfather bought a new mower and moved the trike to the back yard where it had sat for 3yrs. I bought a house with a garage, so now ive got it apart for the rebuild. A job for $100 a weekend was enough to get me by

Rebuild thread- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/182056-Rebuilding-200x-After-6yrs

threewheelin-feelin
12-31-2016, 03:28 AM
i would have kept the bike and sold cocaine....

Ranvier
12-31-2016, 02:03 PM
That's cool. Way to finish school. It has to feel good to rebuild YOUR trike years later.

x-rider
12-31-2016, 02:14 PM
i would have kept the bike and sold cocaine....
I only see one problem. If you bought it, you should keep it. Huh, rodeofan. Lol.

schlepp29
12-31-2016, 11:18 PM
Listen here ! First off congratulations, second off don't sell because these guys are right! For all your gonna get out of it, just not worth it. Why you might ask, well let me tell you. 2 or 4 years down the road the bike will be sitting in the shop just waiting to be done. Just fill your tank with oil and walk away. Happy new year son

arlaunch
01-01-2017, 01:58 AM
No matter which way you slice it,

Getting out of trikes is great for the pocket book and hard on the heart.

you can't have it all with physics. Some middle ground maybe?

bkvette3
01-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Don't do it - you will regret it later on.

rodeofan5656
01-02-2017, 09:49 PM
That's cool. Way to finish school. It has to feel good to rebuild YOUR trike years later.

It really does! And i kinda feel lucky that its not a complete trike, cause i can go any way i want with it. And i wont feel bad that its not a restoration. Because whatever comes of it, itll be better than before!

350for350
01-02-2017, 10:41 PM
That's a good attitude to have! Just do what makes you happy and don't worry about others.