PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200es big red question

Dropkick66
05-14-2012, 01:02 AM
i just got it. runs ok, but it ran kinda choppy so after chainging oil i looked at the spark plu. it was very worn out. what the guy before me had in there was a ngk DR6A. the manual cals for a DR8ES.. i didnt have one but i did have a new DR8a. when i installed it and started the bike it started to smoke... what is the diff between them and why would it smoke when it didnt before:wondering

dougspcs
05-14-2012, 10:49 AM
The smoking was more than likely because you chenged the oil, not the plug..

Don't really know why the 200/185cc engine do this but it have experienced it also.

Run it a while, it should stop. If not it may need rings..if the oil level was low before the change it wouldn't smoke much, if at all.

After change with the oil at proper level, a fog machine!! I've bought those too..

El Camexican
05-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Also make sure any crankcase breather hoses are not blocked and that you did not overfill it. Less is better than more.

Dropkick66
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
I took the carb off and cleaned it, look as if it had never been cleaned . Getting the carb out of the big red is a pain in the ass ! Getting that airbox back in is impossible so I did away with the air box and did a cone filter set up. After running it a bit it seemed to run a little smoother and the smoke for the most part quit. I notice the light is dim but the weird part is, at very low idle the light is brighter and when I rev it it goes dimmer, it's usually the other way around.any ideas?

badass350x
05-14-2012, 01:39 PM
I took the carb off and cleaned it, look as if it had never been cleaned . Getting the carb out of the big red is a pain in the ass ! Getting that airbox back in is impossible so I did away with the air box and did a cone filter set up. After running it a bit it seemed to run a little smoother and the smoke for the most part quit. I notice the light is dim but the weird part is, at very low idle the light is brighter and when I rev it it goes dimmer, it's usually the other way around.any ideas?

Is your battery dead? That will cause that.

El Camexican
05-14-2012, 05:08 PM
I've never owned a BR, but I've ridden with a few and I see them as the Hummers of three wheelers. That said you may want to re-think that air box when you get it running right as cone filters are best left to race vehicals and not go anywhere machines like yours.