PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Yamaha ytm 200 ERN..

Rob906
05-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Well i have a yamaha ytm200 ern motor in a golf cart.. Thing idles great and runs good but it seams really dogish.. I have notice that when it is under a load and i give it gas it sputters and pops then it revs up just fine after that..

If it is in Neutral and i give it gas it revs up just great..

What may cause this? I cleaned the carb and it all looks good.. Only thing different is i have a two gas tank set up on it so im wondering if maybe it isnt getting fuel when it needs it..

That pop and sputter is really making it hard to get up some of these hills around here..

El Camexican
05-11-2012, 01:20 AM
I'd check the plug gap and make sure the air screw is set correctly (start at 1-1/2 turns out and play with it 1/8 turn at a time under load until it runs as good as you can get it to). If that dosen't do it move the needle down a notch (raise the clip = leaner) to see what happens. If it get worse raise it a notch (lower the clip = richer) from where you started (which should be the center position) If you find it gets better and better going one way or the other you may have to change the pilot jet.

dougspcs
05-11-2012, 06:59 AM
How about the angle the engine installed in your project..if it's not close to the same as the trike it came out of your carb float may have to be adjusted to compensate for the different angle.

Rob906
05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
I'd check the plug gap and make sure the air screw is set correctly (start at 1-1/2 turns out and play with it 1/8 turn at a time under load until it runs as good as you can get it to). If that dosen't do it move the needle down a notch (raise the clip = leaner) to see what happens. If it get worse raise it a notch (lower the clip = richer) from where you started (which should be the center position) If you find it gets better and better going one way or the other you may have to change the pilot jet.

I am gonna pull the carb back off and clean it again here in a min.. The air screw was 2 1/2 turns out from lightly seated which is correct from what i have found on here i thought it should of been 1 1/2 like my Honda's. I will check the Needle and see where that is at when i pull it out..

Rob906
05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
How about the angle the engine installed in your project..if it's not close to the same as the trike it came out of your carb float may have to be adjusted to compensate for the different angle.

Doug the Engine looks to be right around the same angle But how do you adjust the float? I notice the float sticks or is outta adjustment because it will pour fuel out of the carb when it is parked..

Rob906
05-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I will try to get some video of what it does here in a min before i pull it in the garage and yank the carb off to clean it again..

El Camexican
05-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Sounds like you need a needle valve.

dougspcs
05-11-2012, 03:17 PM
El Cam is right..needle valve on your float isn't seating to shut off the flow of gas into the carb.

This could be your whole issue with the way it's running!!

Rob906
05-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Can ya guys point me in the direction of a carb rebuild kit for it? I checked a couple websites and couldn't find anything..

I didnt get a chance to pull the carb off i took it for a spin around the yard and a couple welds the guy did who i bought it from ended up breaking so now i need to find me a wire welder so i can re do them..

El Camexican
05-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Can ya guys point me in the direction of a carb rebuild kit for it? I checked a couple websites and couldn't find anything..

I didnt get a chance to pull the carb off i took it for a spin around the yard and a couple welds the guy did who i bought it from ended up breaking so now i need to find me a wire welder so i can re do them..

Try Jetsrus, much cheaper than OEM stuff. If you can't figure out the part #'s try the Sudco site as well.

FYI: My YTM 200 had a rubber tipped needle and I replaced it at least three times between 1983 and 1990, it just craps out (hardens?) and no amount of cleaning or praying will fix it. As Doug has said it could be the whole problem. Proper fuel levels in float bowls is highly under rated and a leaky needle is not something you can live with at anything less than WOT.

El Camexican
05-11-2012, 09:53 PM
What parts are you welding and with what type of rig and rod or wire???

Rob906
05-12-2012, 11:32 PM
What parts are you welding and with what type of rig and rod or wire???

I was welding the frame work that holds it in to the golf cart it self i can try and get some pics of the whole set up tomorrow.. I was using stick welder with 7018 rods..

El Camexican
05-13-2012, 02:42 AM
I have no idea of your welding abilities, but if they aren't that good and you can't get the welds to stop cracking you may want to try a 6011 or a 6013 as a 7018 is not a good rod for learning with. Good luck.

muthey
05-13-2012, 03:24 AM
also with the float needle, the seat has a o-ring that will wear out eventually, it can cause a flooding issue the same as a bad float needle. I had to change my jet needle, as my 225 dx was doing the same thing at times. I found my needle was slightly bent and extremely wore.