PDA

View Full Version : doing crank seals 81 250r

Deathrocket
05-08-2012, 09:10 AM
since this thing is old and its going to be needing a clutch soon too, I was figuring I should do crank seals and clutch, now i did some reading, it looks like i don't have to split the case to do the seals, is that right? and how hard is it to do seals? and how hard is it to do a clutch? never done one in a trike. thanks folks.

atc300r
05-08-2012, 10:51 AM
The seals are fairly easy.The flywheel side just pull the flywheel and stator and its right there.The clutch side you have to pull the side case. Then the clutch and counter balancer gears.When you put it back together the counter balancer gears are timed with the crank.You will have to lineup the marks.The clutch is simple. You should check your crank bearings while you have it apart.Might be a good time to replace them.You will have to split the cases for that .And new gaskets. It will save you some headache later. Just my 2 cents.

Deathrocket
05-08-2012, 05:20 PM
main bearings are good, there is no play in the crank, but when u say side case, do you mean the clutch cover? or what?

atc300r
05-08-2012, 06:39 PM
The whole side case on the clutch side.Not the round cover that just accesses the clutch but the cover that it bolts to.Where your shift shaft is .This removed will give you accesse to the counter balancer gears and clutch,.Is your engine still in the frame.

atc300r
05-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Heres a couple pics.146596146597

Deathrocket
05-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Ahaa! got it, I am assuming that the engine has to come out for this? not that its hard (and i have done it a bunch of times lol) but it would take waaay less time if I didn't have to take it out...

atc300r
05-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Yes.Engine has to come out. Hope all goes well.

Gripit'n'ripit
05-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Last time i did my seals, i took them out with an auto body dent puller. Not very difficult.

Deathrocket
05-16-2012, 10:24 AM
didn't think it was gonna be hard, well there was a moment, when someone was thinking back and thinking one might have to split the case to do it, then i was thinking winter project with some new bearings and make everything new. but just wanted to know what did and didn't have to be done, I am admitting defeat and having someone dial the carb in, then its on to replacing those seals... is there anything else that i should do while I'm in there? after all this the clutch is next...

Deathrocket
06-26-2012, 01:38 AM
broke down and bought a new carb.. pulled the stater cover and found a little bit of 2 stroke oil.. tells me the seals were leaking.. no good. the stater side was a pain in the you know what to get out, wound up tearing the seal and wedging a seal puller in the resulting hole to get it out, made a little scratch on the case bore, smoothed it out with some emory cloth, got the new seal installed, the clutch side needed the collar the seal rode on, found one on ebay in a box of other parts.. now i have a complete hardware kit case i need a weird bolt. checked crank play while I had access to it.. and no play.. woo! everything else has turned out to be shot on this poor 81 but at least the bottom end is okay lol