PDA

View Full Version : sealing gas tank questions!

labs4life
05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Couple questions regarding sealing a gas tank....

Since the "filler neck" is inverted, how do you pour out the excess???

Also, how do you keep from plugging up the gas exit...stuff with plastic??

I am in the process of getting the rust out and have a tiny hole to plug, then off to seal it. Just wanted some more opinions

Howdy
05-08-2012, 12:10 AM
I use Red-Kote and try to pour just enough in it to coat it. But you have to put some excess in there to be 100% sure sure it's coated. Once I get it coated I try to pour out all the excess I can. Once I get all of it out that I can a turn the tank slowly to let the little excess that won't pour out to add a double layer. If there are holes I try to get that area coated the most. For the fuel line holes / tubes I blow Dry compressed air through them every couple minutes until the coating is firm enough to not run and plug then. On the 200s style tank you want to be sure to remove the fuel screen from the tank before coating other wise you will have to drill it out later.
Howdy

hoosierlogger
05-08-2012, 07:19 AM
+1 on the redkote. It is simple to use.

just ben
05-08-2012, 07:26 AM
I use "northern" brand liner. 30.00 /qt. I have done 4 tanks and have enough yet to do another. However I have only been using it to seal plastic tanks so they could be painted.

labs4life
05-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for chiming in Howdy. I noticed when I searched you have done several tanks with this material. Thanks for the added info.

Howdy
05-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for chiming in Howdy. I noticed when I searched you have done several tanks with this material. Thanks for the added info.

Your welcome!! I have used 2 gallon of the stuff and 1 quart does 3-6 tanks ( some I coat 3 layers due to holes ). Yeppers, I have done quite a few tanks. I'm getting ready to do another batch hopefully start tomorrow or Thursday. I got 2 70 tanks that must be done and have to decide what other tanks I will need soon to use up the rest of the quart. If your tank was here I would coat it for you.

If you have a O Riley's auto store close by they can get the Red-Kote for you cheaper than any other place I have found. If you use Red-Kote one thing that is VERY critical is to do it in an Open space. The fumes can be very over powering. If you had gas in the tank rinse it out with ascetone ( wouldn't hurt to rinse it any how. I always do ). The ascetone vaporizes quickly so once rinsed you can start to coat it within 1-2 hrs. I personally let the Red-Kote dry for at least 3 days before using to be 100% sure it is dry. Also, Leave the gas cap off so it will dry. I have heard of people closing the tank while it was wet and then wondered why it didn't set up. :confused:
Howdy

labs4life
05-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Your welcome!! I have used 2 gallon of the stuff and 1 quart does 3-6 tanks ( some I coat 3 layers due to holes ). Yeppers, I have done quite a few tanks. I'm getting ready to do another batch hopefully start tomorrow or Thursday. I got 2 70 tanks that must be done and have to decide what other tanks I will need soon to use up the rest of the quart. If your tank was here I would coat it for you.

If you have a O Riley's auto store close by they can get the Red-Kote for you cheaper than any other place I have found. If you use Red-Kote one thing that is VERY critical is to do it in an Open space. The fumes can be very over powering. If you had gas in the tank rinse it out with ascetone ( wouldn't hurt to rinse it any how. I always do ). The ascetone vaporizes quickly so once rinsed you can start to coat it within 1-2 hrs. I personally let the Red-Kote dry for at least 3 days before using to be 100% sure it is dry. Also, Leave the gas cap off so it will dry. I have heard of people closing the tank while it was wet and then wondered why it didn't set up. :confused:
Howdy

I am in KY now for work, but bought the Red Kote at an O'reilly before I left. They had it in stock for $25ish bucks. Thanks for all the info and I will let u know how it goes. I have it soaking in vinegar and salt right now and will rinse it with water and baking soda. I plan to then use a water drying agent as the directions call for to make sure all the water is gone.
Hopefully, I can get a good coat and salvage this tank!!!