PDA

View Full Version : Looks sure can be deceiving

wonderboy
05-02-2012, 06:32 PM
So, I have very recently acquired two ATC70's (sepparate deals). One was really rough looking, and I got a corespondlingly good deal on it. The other, and more recent, was cosmetically very nice. So naturally, I was ok paying more for it.

Well, turns out the first one that was super cheap and ugly runs so nice and is mechanically very sound.

The cosmetically nice one: it has been one thing after another wrong with it. No big ticket items yet, but I'm worried... So far I've had to completely tear down and rebuild (including sandblasting) the points/alternator plate due to the rust and corrosion on it (must have sat exposed outside for a while), the clutch had a screw missing (which I found in the sump smashed up along with various unidentified metal bits), one of the clutch parts in the middle was cracked, and JUST NOW (about 30 minutes ago) I discovered that the shift drum stopper arm (the little spring loaded arm with the wheel on it) is toast.

So much for my "clean" machine...

RIDE-RED 250r
05-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I know what you mean. Beadle350x and I went and looked at what appeared to be a promising Tri-Z recently. Shame too, chassis was very descent and solid. But 1st gear was non-existant, had a bolt run into the case (as opposed to the original stud and nut) for the jug that didn't even seat all the way, among some other questionable things.

PS: I don't know if the seller is a member here. But if so, no offense intended. We just weren't comfortable enough with those issues to pull the trigger.

DRKCYDE
05-02-2012, 07:31 PM
If you want to sell, I'll give you what you bought it for!!!

wonderboy
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
If you want to sell, I'll give you what you bought it for!!!

:lol: It isn't quite that annoying yet...

Vealmonkey
05-02-2012, 10:33 PM
What's the problem, just switch the good engine to the good trike. Then buy a lifan for the beater and have real fun. Geeesh, how hard was that? LOL

350XJEDI
05-02-2012, 11:59 PM
:Dagree , switch all the best to one ,then put the other down as a parts bike or get a pit bike moter and beat on that beater:naughty: , good luck , enjoy!!:cool:

DRKCYDE
05-03-2012, 01:13 AM
You guys talk like he only has 1 kid and or an unlimited budget!

350XJEDI
05-03-2012, 01:39 AM
:Ddid not see mention of # of kids , and we all build on some kind of budget :cool:, I build on a very low budget but trade and freinds help make it possible .. dont stress, if you keep a eye out parts bikes show up cheap ,pit moters are pretty cheap if you get someones crashed "youtube" bike ,.I've gotten crashed china bikes,quads for free, heard the line ,"NEVER RIDE AGAIN" :crazy::rolleyes: ,, ... and sometimes the ugly bikes are the ones that run good and sometimes the mint ones are mint becouse they are "LEMONS" you never know , thats part of the fun , dont pay for looks unless thats all that matters ,:cool::cool:

oscarmayer
05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
you can get a china lifan engine cheap! under $200 with harness and enectronics. i know a guy in texas wherehe can ship you a running used but good shape 110 w/harness, and electronics for it to run correctly for a very good deal. $150 i think is what he was asking for them let me know if you want his info. (pm me)

wonderboy
05-04-2012, 08:25 AM
No worries guys, I guess I made this sound more negative that I meant it to be. I guess I meant to point out the irony of spending more on a "nicer" machine, but having not be. It just goes to show you never can be too sure of what you're getting.

In the end, I'm not putting that much money into the bike. Honestly, with the help of the guys on the classifieds section, I'm getting the parts I need cheap. For me, its worth putting another $50 or so into it, and then having two average runners versus one super nice runner, and one parts bike.

And to DRKCYDE's comment (he knows me) it isn't always money that is the issue, it's the availability of free time... there is just never enough!

350XJEDI
05-04-2012, 12:46 PM
:Dthose 70's are a blast ,get 3-4 buddys out in the field racing around the trails ,such a hoot to see grown men on a 70 hangin it all out ,, good times enjoy:beer:beer:pics::pics: