PDA

View Full Version : Antique trikes kickin trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro

200Xtreme
11-19-2003, 11:23 PM
I just love spankin' the larger newer quads with my 18 yr. old trike!!! How about you guys? Lets hear some stories!!!

TRI-Zbrian
11-19-2003, 11:39 PM
lol two years back i had another 85 tri z 250 with the folowing mods:
bored 80 over
DG pipe
Answer silencer
Boysen power reeds
fully ported and polished (stage 2)
plained head
K&N air filter
38mm makuni flat side
and a couple other goodys i cant remember

and i road it around toun all the time with another buddy of mine that owned an all stock TRX 250R and rumor got around that my tri z was pretty fast so this guy finds me one day in a sand pit and what do you know he is on a brand new 2000-2001 660 Rapter and he is like you think that thing is fast dont yah and im like yeah its pretty fast he is like yeah ok i think mine will beat it mines a 660 and yours is only a 250 lol (duh 2 stroke guys)so im like alright ill race you, ware do u want to race and he is like not in here thow out on the road its going to be a drag race and top end race so im like well ok also the whole time i was also saying i dont no man my top end is brand new i dont want to pop it but he was talking so much smack i had to race him.
so we line up on this strate back road and we have a friend set us off and when i take off being i was on pavement i wheelied off the start and he gained a quads length on me but as soon as my front end came back down i leened over the front end and went threw the gears like they wernt there and pased him very quickly and stayed ahead eventualy he was very far back and i shut it down before i did soem damage to my engine. you guys should have seen the look on his face he was like what the hell but that thing is only a 250 what gives so i had to tell him the whole deal about 2 smokes putting out alot more power.
thats my best kill story
also that friend of mine that owned the TRX250R thought he would beet me just because his was an R and they are suposed to be the best but guess what the old TRI Z kicked its ass also.
my last TRI Z with every thing i had doen to it i had clocked at 93 MPH by my friends BUICK. i still wish i had that tri z but turns out the owner after me recked it but ive got a new one now that im hopping up/ restoring that i plan to make faster.
the pic below is the new Quad killer in the making. ill have her done by summer hopefully spring but im going slow cause i want it done right

200Xtreme
11-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Great story!! I think stock to stock It takes roughly twice the size engine to run a four stroke competitively with a 2-stroke.

PowerTrike
11-19-2003, 11:59 PM
:) good stuff. I just got back from huntin. And my cousin says his quad (Suzuki 4 Runner) can take the old 200 big red. We raced for the heck of it. I kicked his arse. The Zuki is gutless an slow. Can keep up with a 400 Kodiak. My buddys 200x can whomp on a lot of quads. Trikes are great... :D

'86X
11-20-2003, 12:27 AM
When and where are you doing all this racing??

TRI-Zbrian
11-20-2003, 01:06 AM
if you are talking to me its in the toun of parishville in upstate ny its a small little red neck toun with a couple realy cool riding spots, power lines sand pits and stuff like that when we raced it was down a paved road on a back street.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-20-2003, 01:11 AM
Well. I didnt have a high peformance trike at the time, but I dusted a newer quad. I had an 86 250sx at the time (2oox front end), and I was at a shale pit foolin around, when another group of people pulled up at this time. I knew most of them and my one friends cousin that was with the other group had a yamaha 350 wolverine at the time, and he started cockin off about how he could smoke me with that thing (I was the only one there with a sport utility), now the next thing I said was, Line em up! We get to a decently straight fire road, line up some one says go, and whe start going and I did my signature shift into second and pull the front end up in a wheelie,shift into third, (still riding wheelie, I loved the way they wheelied) the front end came back down to earth after pulling a 30 foot third gear wheelie, I hit forth, looked back, and he was almost beside me, then I hit fith and just started pullin away from him. I just kept going till he was about 150 feet back then I started downshifting, locked up the rear brakes, and stopped sideways and watched him pull up with a big Honda grin on my face. We get back to the group and he started talkin sh!! about how his shifter was was stickin, and I just replied ya know, people are still ridding trikes for a reason! -D

Darius1502
11-20-2003, 02:24 AM
It seems like wherever you go these guys are around. WTF??

How come no one ever wants to race on a course or something? I don't know...I never have understood the whole drag racing thing....

I would just show up on a KX500 and murder everyone with the machine gunning and pelting rock blast from my rear tire...

Why mess around?

Darius

200Xtreme
11-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Quads I whooped on w my "ANTIQUE" 200X
-2003 300EX
-1988 Warrior
-2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
-1999 warrior
-2001 300EX (mods)
-2002 Polaris Sport 250
- 2003 Suzuki Vinson
- ? Susuki Quadsport 250
- and various other I can't think of!!!

RLich8
11-20-2003, 08:27 PM
My freind and I smoke 50's all the time with our 110's.

God I love 3 wheelers. 8)

TrikeKid
11-20-2003, 08:28 PM
my story isnt on a trike but a while back my dad me and our friends were riding together and my dad has a crf 230 with a bbr pipe on it and we got on a fire road and he kicked a Z400's trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro

200Xtreme
11-21-2003, 12:55 AM
Hey Trikekid... cool avatar!!!!!!

TimSr
11-21-2003, 11:14 AM
It seems like wherever you go these guys are around. WTF??

How come no one ever wants to race on a course or something? I don't know...I never have understood the whole drag racing thing....

I would just show up on a KX500 and murder everyone with the machine gunning and pelting rock blast from my rear tire...

Why mess around?

Darius

Many trike riders like to run only where they are assured of winning. First they post about 15 "which will win?" posts, and then if the polling comes out favorably, they go run a drag that only requires a faster machine, and the only skill to master is takeoff. This is unless, of course they decide to run a long enough road where you only need be geared the highest to win. Then they will brag about how superior trikes are because of the outcome.

Ive been running local Motocross since 1998. We have a local organization that welcomes trikes to compete. In 1998 out of a few hundred ATV racers, we had a half dozen trike racers. Since then, the serious ones moved on to quads, and the others eventually dropped out, and I have great respect for all of the, for going out and doing it. The last 2 or 3 years there has been only one (yours truly), and sometimes two at any MX. Ive never seen a trike, other than myself at a harescramble. When I go to a rally which is just a trail ride, and is not a race, I might see one out of every few hundred quads.

Are there no more trike riders in my area? Sure, there are lots of them, usually lining up on some straight road waiting for a drag, or talking a bunch of bs somewhere about how superior they and their trike is to quads while sitting on it in their garage with a beer in their hand. They never show up anywhere to prove it. In cross country events, where a lot of quads end up, upside down, they dont show. Could it be that trikes possibly dont have superiority under ALL conditions? And where are they when its MX time? Since they must be assured of the win in order to race, Could it possibly be that somewhere in their subconcious, they fear that even the mediocre riders on quads are going to stomp them on a REAL race track? But thats not fair, of course since trikes are antiques. After all, an 86 TRX250R is much newer than an 86 ATC250R.

Well, by now everybody is probably construing this as a "trikes stink, quads are better" post. Its not. I much prefer riding my TriZ, and I find it more enjoyable. I can actually ride mine, and ride it very well. However, when reality sets in, and Im entering competitions, Ive learned a healthy respect for quads, and Ive also learned to master one as well, because under many conditions, they ARE superior because you can ride them faster even though they may not BE "faster". Trikes have ceratin advantages as well.

Ive never been shown anything but respect by quad riders and racers. Id really like to see more trike riders show that same respect for quad riders. They respect me for competing with a major handicap, and understand that its more diffcult to accomplish the same feats on a trike, yet some of us, not only refuse to acknowledge the handicap we have, but insist that the world revolves around a straight stretch of pavement, and we as trike riders are therefore superior. And of course, those of us who own anything less than a 250 2-stroker must go find some utility quad to drag in order to still be superior to quads.

"A little less talk and a lot more action" may humble a few of us. I know Id sure like to watch some of these superior trikes smoke a few quads in real racing so I could pick up a few pointers.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-21-2003, 11:24 AM
So what you are saying is, that it all depends on the enviroment you are in, and your skill, not neccisarilly how fast your machine is right.

Darius1502
11-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Great post Tim.

You really use that Tri Z...me I just oil mine up and sit on it. I respect you for that a great deal.

Keep the Z running!!

God bless,

Darius

'86X
11-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Quads I whooped on w my "ANTIQUE" 200X
-2003 300EX
-1988 Warrior
-2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
-1999 warrior
-2001 300EX (mods)
-2002 Polaris Sport 250
- 2003 Suzuki Vinson
- ? Susuki Quadsport 250
- and various other I can't think of!!!

:D I have a little 350 quad you can TRY to add to that list! :D

'86X
11-21-2003, 06:31 PM
I just love spankin' the larger newer quads with my 18 yr. old trike!!! How about you guys? Lets hear some stories!!!

I'd say TimSr. "spanked" you on that one!!

md1985250r
11-21-2003, 09:03 PM
So what you are saying is, that it all depends on the enviroment you are in, and your skill, not neccisarilly how fast your machine is right.

i believe that is exactly what he is saying....and also that we shouldnt brag about beating a quad in a drag race....basically because there is a minimum amount of skill needed to drag, whereas the amount of skill required to actually race in mx or harescramble, would prove only who is the superior rider..not necessarily superior machine!!

hey timsr.....any races come to maryland? i would love to try a harescramble for antique machine and rider...lol

BigRedRunner
11-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Hey, sometimes its fun be to different from the crowd too. You get to hear about all the things you can't do on a three-wheeler or how they'd never own a three-wheeler. Just keep quiet and show what you can do.

Tri-Z Pilot
11-22-2003, 02:21 PM
What is a hare scramble? Is it like GNCC? I would love to do that on my trike.

200Xtreme
11-22-2003, 07:24 PM
I must have missed the part where I said Drag race!! Not!! Im not only talking drag racing, Im talking also about mud, and hillclimbs, etc. The point I am trying to make is that it's not the guy with the newest/most expensive machine that wins. I use my mechanical knowledge, and riding ability to surprise guys on newer, larger, more expensive machines. I derive great joy in taking a basket full of antique, junk parts and embarrassing somone on a newer larger machine. Whether it be drag, hillclimbing, crossing a creek, or ripping through a muddy field.

200Xtreme
11-22-2003, 07:29 PM
As for '86X , out of your three machines , the only one that would stand a chance is your modified banshee, and that would be in a drag race only!!!

'86X
11-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Many trike riders like to run only where they are assured of winning. First they post about 15 "which will win?" posts, and then if the polling comes out favorably, they go run a drag that only requires a faster machine, and the only skill to master is takeoff. This is unless, of course they decide to run a long enough road where you only need be geared the highest to win. Then they will brag about how superior trikes are because of the outcome.

Ive been running local Motocross since 1998. We have a local organization that welcomes trikes to compete. In 1998 out of a few hundred ATV racers, we had a half dozen trike racers. Since then, the serious ones moved on to quads, and the others eventually dropped out, and I have great respect for all of the, for going out and doing it. The last 2 or 3 years there has been only one (yours truly), and sometimes two at any MX. Ive never seen a trike, other than myself at a harescramble. When I go to a rally which is just a trail ride, and is not a race, I might see one out of every few hundred quads.

Are there no more trike riders in my area? Sure, there are lots of them, usually lining up on some straight road waiting for a drag, or talking a bunch of bs somewhere about how superior they and their trike is to quads while sitting on it in their garage with a beer in their hand. They never show up anywhere to prove it. In cross country events, where a lot of quads end up, upside down, they dont show. Could it be that trikes possibly dont have superiority under ALL conditions? And where are they when its MX time? Since they must be assured of the win in order to race, Could it possibly be that somewhere in their subconcious, they fear that even the mediocre riders on quads are going to stomp them on a REAL race track? But thats not fair, of course since trikes are antiques. After all, an 86 TRX250R is much newer than an 86 ATC250R.

Well, by now everybody is probably construing this as a "trikes stink, quads are better" post. Its not. I much prefer riding my TriZ, and I find it more enjoyable. I can actually ride mine, and ride it very well. However, when reality sets in, and Im entering competitions, Ive learned a healthy respect for quads, and Ive also learned to master one as well, because under many conditions, they ARE superior because you can ride them faster even though they may not BE "faster". Trikes have ceratin advantages as well.

Ive never been shown anything but respect by quad riders and racers. Id really like to see more trike riders show that same respect for quad riders. They respect me for competing with a major handicap, and understand that its more diffcult to accomplish the same feats on a trike, yet some of us, not only refuse to acknowledge the handicap we have, but insist that the world revolves around a straight stretch of pavement, and we as trike riders are therefore superior. And of course, those of us who own anything less than a 250 2-stroker must go find some utility quad to drag in order to still be superior to quads.

"A little less talk and a lot more action" may humble a few of us. I know Id sure like to watch some of these superior trikes smoke a few quads in real racing so I could pick up a few pointers.[/quote]

:D I have yet to hear a response to this!!! :D

And as for the woods/track race, bring it on! You may beat me if we race around a tree or in three feet of water but I have yet to see that in any race course or MX track.

deathman53
11-26-2003, 09:38 PM
I ride my trike on the track in e-town. I have to say that quads definetly have a big advantage on trikes on mx. E-town is a real mx track unlike chattsworth, I whoop the quads at chattswoth. At e-town it is alot of accelerate, sharp corner, accelerate, corner, sweeping corner, then all rutted corner followed by hard turn. I hold my own very well and can hold back most raptors, 300ex's, and inexpeirenced quad riders. However in the end, the quads win. Our 18 yr old trikes, just can't handle the corner, whoops, rutted corner, don't have the advanced suspension, etc like the quads. On the trails at chattsworth, quads will whoop the trikes simply because all the trail are double rutted and the front wheel falls into one of the rutts and don't track straight. Sadly, but at e-town I get beat by all the 250r's, custom 450's, and in general the hooked up quads, but I sure get alot of respect by them even thoug they pass me. I think the respect in worth alot more than winning the race. I actually get intellegent comments at e-town, "like thats a sweet trike,you really can ride that thing, I'd hate to see you on a quad", "I haven't seen anybody ride a trike like that in a long time, good job", one quad racer told me "you really give trikers the respect they deserve and show that they can safe and competetive in the right hands" Offically e-town doesn't allow trikes, but for one, they probably made a judgement call based on rider ability. 86x is right, we need to stop drag racing people to prove that trikes are better, and get down on this planet on real riding situations and accept it that quads handle better in most situations. Anybody can ride in a straight line, turning is where the ability comes in. If you guys want me to be imatutre I could post a list of quads I smoked too.

'86X
11-27-2003, 11:34 AM
I'd say deathman53 "spanked" you on that one!

TimSr
11-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Im glad to see so many positive responses, and the thought put into them.

A little web research, and some emails, and its very likey youll find local events you can compete in, and practice tracks you can ride on. I even found organized drags at a place in NY, and they said they allow trikes, but havent had any show up in 3 years. If anybody wants any information about tracks, or race events in Ohio that allow trikes, Ill be happy to help. Im sure others could help with infromation in other areas. If you have any info on trike friendly events and tracks, by all means. post it in the Local Riding forum.

By the way, trikes arent always at a disadvantage. When its raining or super muddy, they have an advantage. Last summer at Summit Co. Fair (Ohio) we had a huge downpour right before my race, and I took 2nd place, and I was rding faster than the 1st place guy, but never got an opening.