PDA

View Full Version : UNI air fliter people withOUT air boxes

JasonB
04-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Where are you? does anyone run a UNI filter with an outerwear? I was thinking about going back to running a UNI after all the bad talk i have seen about K&N's on here and other sites. I really didnt want to run an air box though. What do you guys have?

RIDE-RED 250r
04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
I run a K&N with an Outerwears. Second reason using it in pretty dusty conditions ans so far it's doing just fine. I know you are asking about Uni's but I thought I might chime in...

As to the airbox, unless you are a dry weather only duner, keep the airbox. I run my airbox with the lid on, but have removed the snorkel pipe connecting the airbox to the main frame backbone. I get in some wet conditions now and then (not talking about 2 foot deep mud bogs here) mainly riding gravel roads and hit water puddles and get caught in the rain now and then. My setup seems to provide enough water protection for what I do.

Running an eliminator in wet/muddy conditions is asking for trouble. I have also heard from a bunch of people on another 250r specific site that the ESR airbox eliminators and centermount pipes leave some to be desired in proper and easy fitment.

JasonB
04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
thanks for the input! I already have a K&N with 3 hours of ride time on it. Its the ESR air box eliminator kit. Looks knarly, but i dontk now thats its really a safe option. It is a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to get into place correctly too.

I was thinking about using the air box again, and mounting a battery in it so I could run an HID system like other 250R owners I have seen (Richard)

RIDE-RED 250r
04-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I saw your post over on the other site and that you ride in mainly dry sand conditions. So, I wouldn't worry too much about running no airbox. However, I think that running with the intake snorkel removed like I do is a nice blend of the best of both worlds. If I hook that snorkel back up I have to drop 3 main jet sizes....

I run the Outerwears on my K&N for it's "water resistant" qualites in case I do get a shot of water in there... Plus it makes a pretty good pre-cleaner that doesn't seem to restrict flow hardly at all...

Dirtcrasher
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
I believe they have a greater chance to letting in junk.

They certainly let you fatten up the fuel; I just worry about "what" is getting in there.

I have always liked the air box with the lid off myself....

jon jon
04-30-2012, 11:12 PM
i have just a adapter and a uni on my 350x. but i do alot of drag racing. up to you. id trust it just dont go through water.

kristofrogers
05-01-2012, 01:23 AM
I have made a couple UNI filters by hand with the sheet of material and a hot glue gun and ran it with and without the air box on one of my bikes. Personally I like the open end withe outerwears. I currently run a K&N with an outerwear on my T3 and I love it. It sucks massive air so I gotta clean it after every trip but its easy to clean, easy to remove and install, and IMO looks better. I guess it comes down to where you ride and personal preference really though..

ATC-Eric
05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Run the Uni, for extra protection get an outerwear for it.

fabiodriven
05-03-2012, 01:15 PM
K&N's belong on the street and that's it.

Uni's are definitely better in the dirt than a K&N in my opinion.

I personally would prefer to run an airbox on any bike I own. My R came with an open K&N on it, with an outerwear, but I really don't like it much. It's sucked a ton of shite in on more than one occasion. I think the R came with the airbox, I'll have to look and see if I do have it. I'd like to install that beotch someday.

My R ran great in the dry conditions at last year's Trikefest but we never got any rain so I doubt it would have been good to run if we had.

JasonB
05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
yep, bought a UNI filter. should be here by tomorrow. I have an outerwear im going to throw over it. I will probably put the box in at a later date and use the space in it for a battery and run HID's like I have seen done before.

thanks for the input guys!

just ben
05-04-2012, 12:01 AM
I spray my outerwears with silicone spray and let it soak on there for a while then blot it dry with a towel. weeks later water beads right off it.

bkm
05-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Jason, my bike actually ran better with the box. I tried all the jetting combos under the sun and it ran good, but just felt crisper with the box on and no lid. I am a believer in the dead air space affect on intake air and not being turbulent like without a box. Now I have no physical data to prove my therory other than the seat of the pants meter, while on the bike.

Mr_RPM
05-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I run a outerwear on my 110's UNI filter. the filter is directly clamped to the carb, no box at all...

looks and works good so far

fabiodriven
05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Jason, my bike actually ran better with the box. I tried all the jetting combos under the sun and it ran good, but just felt crisper with the box on and no lid. I am a believer in the dead air space affect on intake air and not being turbulent like without a box. Now I have no physical data to prove my therory other than the seat of the pants meter, while on the bike.

I am a very firm believer in this theory as well and always have been. I was going to ditch the open filter first thing when I first got my R but I have been extremely surprised how well it runs with the open filter.