PDA

View Full Version : Bad bore/hone job

TtownJoeShow
04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Hi, just wanted to share this... I got my 85 250r jug bored n honed for $50 at a local machine shop. I noticed a couple deeper groves from what seems to be lack of cleaning the filings while they worked on it. I figured they were not bad enough to complain, barely caught my finger nail. After a couple weeks of trying to figure out jetting, she would bog in the first and second gears, clear up in third and be nice n clear after that. So I got fed up. Tore her down, discovered carbon (very little) on my boyesen reeds!! Top one was warped, gap of about 2mm!! So I flipped the reed and installed a .5 inch reed (torque spacer) thinking it might move the reeds back enough to keep em cool... Lol I was wrong! Anyways, the culprit is the bore job, there is too much taken from above the main intake port allowing exhaust gasses to blow down on the reeds! It's like that port is .5" taller.
So I'm buying another cylinder that I can bore to my 66.5 piston... Very tempted to call the shop n see what they say!

Cheap is not always better!! Lol

TtownJoeShow
04-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Oh next time I tear her down, I'll get some pictures!!

atc007
04-30-2012, 08:32 AM
I guess I'm confused. If THEY screwed it up,and YOU payed for it,Why wouldn't THEY have to make everything right?

TtownJoeShow
04-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah you're right! I asked them if they could bore n hone it, they said yes... Yeah I'll call them today... Should I get a piston out of it too, well try? Lol

What would you guys do?!

Scootertrash
04-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Bore job in my neighborhood is 60.00 with piston supplied by the customer and includes chamfering any ports and hone to finish.

I doubt the damage was caused by chips, there is more than enough space with a boring bar in a cylinder for chips to fall out. Sounds more to me like they didn't hone it after the bore job or there was an "incident" with the cutting tool, but without pics of the finished bore before you installed and ran it, no one could tell you for sure.

If they messed it up they should fix it, but since you already installed and ran it you are probably out of luck. Next time you notice anything that doesn't look right, point it out right away and have it fixed before you install and run it. It's kind of hard to prove it was their screw up if you notice a problem but still run it. ;) You never know though, you may get lucky and they will fix it, can't hurt to try.

atc007
04-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Agreed^^. IF you trust them,,there are actually still a FEW good honest people left out there!!. I would take the cylinder and piston to another engine shop,,have them mic it and inspect it,,get their opinion and maybe even another if you have a few bike shops in town. THEN,calmly go in and state your problems,and YES,,IF,,this was their fault. they need to get you piston,rings,gaskets,and reeds. YOU are STILL eating ALL of the labor and downtime! Could be it wasn't their fault and they can explain?? Who knows,,but that is what I would do. I have bored more cylinders then I want to remember. MY only screw up was a Zilla 500,,it went egg shaped on me. I had to PAY another shop to go 2 more oversizes,,and buy him all new parts and of course eat my labor. It was MY fault{ I had never ran onto this before and haven't since!} So I ,payed. Good luck !

atc300r
04-30-2012, 09:19 AM
What bore was it on before you had it bored. If it had a lot of time on it. It may have been farther out of round. And maybe it should have been bored more over than you thought.When I had my 85 bore the first time.I took it to the shop and they said it should go to the second over.to bring it back to round.1st over wouldnt clean it.Good Luck .

TtownJoeShow
05-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Yeah with the 3 or so hours on the jug, you can see how the rings are contacting the walls, it's oval, contacting pretty much just on the front and back of the cylinder. Then where the carb port is, there's a thumb nail size of no contact on top of that port and carbon on the reeds.
Tomorrow, maybe Thursday I'll tear her down, then I'll call the shop.

TtownJoeShow
05-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Oh and she was bored from stock 66mm to 66.5 mm.

fabiodriven
05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I would bring it back for sure. There is no way you should be eating that.

TtownJoeShow
05-02-2012, 07:41 PM

damn internet connection.... this is all i can do for now, its a decent pic tho! no?

you can see the front and back wear... no wear on the sides and the thumb nail size spot above the "carb intake port (bottom in this pic)

just ben
05-02-2012, 07:52 PM
looks like crap for only a couple of hours. I have pulled apart 20 year old engines that the cylinder looks better. It looks like the bore is too big for the piston and is binding. Your lucky the skirt didn't break and take out your crank

zzmegad
05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah depending on the machine shop they might not have been setup properly to take on that job, especially for 50-60$. I sent mine to millenium. They did a great job. They bore cylinders all day.

atc007
05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
1st and Foremost.. they don't have a leg to STAND on. There is NO cross hatch in that cylinder. No honing,no ball honing,,nothing. Straight off the boring bar into your hands. They don't know what they are doing. Just another bad deal of the cards. I,,,wouldn't want them touching ANYTHING of mine. However,,to get them to PAY you and go to another shop,,probably not happening without a lawsuit. So,,make them mic it,,fit it correctly to a new piston,and HONE a cross hatch into it! Good luck !

MTS
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Looks more like too tight of a ring end gap imo, is it a wiseco? Not much if any of a bevel on the ports either judging by the pic, should clean up with a proper hone and bevel.