PDA

View Full Version : Plastic replacement tanks

Big Sal
04-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Looking for opinions on plastic replacement tanks....I have an '85 250SX and have replaced all the original busted up plastics with Maier ones and they look good, recovered the seat....now the tank is left....it has a dent in the side and had a few holes in it....I Kreemed the inside and it's holding up good but I didn't braise the holes up or take out the dent because I thought I could "live with it" and now it bugs me...lol...I've seen tanks for just over $100 on eBay that look pretty good....anybody bought one? I would get a stock steel tank for it, but the asking price for a nice one ain't cheap...I plan on putting reproduction decals back on the bike, and didn't know if they stick well to the tank with the type of plastic used to make them.... :wondering

andersonee4
04-28-2012, 11:02 AM
i have one. They do not fit as nice as stock, there are gaps near the rear fender and the color doesn't match. Stickers don't adhere due to gas fumes penetrating the plastic (i know its weird but it does happen) .... BUT. No rust, no dents, no paint scratches, no maintenance.. etc. I have a white one on mine, paid about 200 for it. Worth it in my opinion, i have my old tank still, but it needs sealer and paint a few minor dents and no leaks. but the time and money to do it up would have been too much for me.

200x350xtriz250
04-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I have a red $100ish one. Just like andersonee4 said doesn't match or fit right but no issues either. I couldn't see paying double just to have a white tank and was also afraid that the white would discolor over time. What would be nice is if someone made a vynl tank cover for these like the Tecates. I'd love to have a white cover with the SX on each side like the stock look of the 87.

Big Sal
04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
This is the eBay link for the tank....for just over $100 bucks I just might get one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Atc-250SX-250-SX-Three-Wheeler-Gas-Fuel-Tank-NEW-/370607114469?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5649e7c8e5&vxp=mtr

200x350xtriz250
04-28-2012, 09:48 PM
That's the same one I bought. Be prepared for some small blems. It is not mentioned in the ad but these tanks can and do come less than new looking. There're not horrible by any means, but I was expecting better from a brand new tank. When I mentioned to them what I saw they said I should have expected that for a $100 tank. Said it is made by Wide Open and they offer a nicer tank from Clarke for twice the price....none of which is mentioned in the ad itself. Its still nice, just be prepared is all.