PDA

View Full Version : ordered parts for my 250r today!

lightemup01
04-25-2012, 07:12 PM
i called esr and ordered a 310 kit. thing that sucks is they are out of stock of their atc pipes:cry: he said they wont have any until june so i still ordered the kit. i dont know if i can wait that long for the pipe. the pipe and silenser is gonna run 380. what would you guys do wait, or buy a different one?? i also ordered new rear fender, scoops and headlight shroud.:naughty: i will be making a build thread soon!

RIDE-RED 250r
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Looking forward to following another 250r Big Bore build! :beer

As to the pipe. So far I am VERY pleased with my ATC5 pipe and silencer from ESR. Despite all I have heard about the plating being bad and prone to flaking in as little as 30 minutes run time, so far mine is holding up nicely with no signs of peeling yet. I currently have about 3 hours run time on mine. I will keep a close eye on it though as I put more ride time in.

I used to run a full FMF Fatty exhaust on my semi stock top end. It worked well but the power signed off in the upper mid-top like you threw a light switch. This ESR system revs out waaaayy better. I would just run what you have for now and wait for the ESR. It will be worth the wait IMHO. I did alot of looking/asking around about exhaust for a Big Bore built ATC and decided on the ESR based on advice from knowledgeable members here and another site. If we had quads there would be a few more options. But for the ATC the ESR setup is hard to beat on a heavily modded/big bored R.

Oh and I would advise you get the standard mount pipe. If you ride in any kind of wet/muddy conditions at all, steer clear of the centermount pipe and airbox eliminator. I have heard the eliminator and centermount pipe mounting leaves some to be desired. My standard mount pipe and silencer mounted up beautifully, better than the FMF setup. I had to slightly modify the right front corner of my skidplate for the much fatter ESR pipe. Basically took a hammer and peened the corner in a little bit. Other than that, everything lines up perfectly. The silencer fits perfectly on the factory mounts and I like that the expansion chamber mounts to a skid plate bolt rather than a hanger behind the carb like my FMF did.

Calvelage04
04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
I had purchased my ESR ATC5 pipe and was sent to me with a pinhole leak. Usually, I wouldn't care but I knew that it would get worse, sound worse, or start to rust. I called and Tom at ESR and he emailed me UPS labeled and said I would have it back in 2 weeks. It has been 7 weeks and I just received an email today stating it had been sent back out. I had called them (politley) every friday for the past 3 weeks, to help remind them. Tom had lost my address once, and my phone number twice throughout my ordeal. No doubt do I believe they have the best pipe on the market for the 250r, just a shame I had such a bad experience. I won't buy from them anymore.

lightemup01
04-25-2012, 11:59 PM
i currently have a stock pipe and i really dont want to build it and fire it up with a stock pipe. i was going to buy an fmf and then sell it and buy the esr pipe. i told him i wanted the standard mout because i do get muddy:beer and as far as the customer service goes i really hope that they have the pipe by when they said they will or i will not be a happy camper!

RIDE-RED 250r
04-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Yes, from what I hear around the campfire ESR's customer service is very hit and miss. My buying experience with them could not have gone better. But it does seem that for every good report about their service out there, there is someone who has had a terrible one...

Another pipe I keep hearing is really good on the R is the Paul Turner pipe. http://www.duncanracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PT-1A5H

Might be another option for you. I have no experience with this pipe myself, this is what I hear alot from others.

lightemup01
04-26-2012, 11:55 PM
ive heard good things too. i wanted to have everything esr though. i am going to buy a fmf for now and whenever they get the atc pipes in order one from esr and sell the fmf.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-27-2012, 02:10 PM
ive heard good things too. i wanted to have everything esr though. i am going to buy a fmf for now and whenever they get the atc pipes in order one from esr and sell the fmf.

That's exactly what I did.. ESR reedblock, cylinder, porting and exhaust. My carb is from ESR too, but that is still really a Keihin.

pantera1975
04-28-2012, 01:27 PM
I read on the trx250r.net board the paul turner pipe is a better choice for 310 and under. The fit is suppose to be better too.

lightemup01
04-28-2012, 07:07 PM
ill give esr a try first im a bit of a cheap ass and i dont see it worth spending 200 more for a little bit mower power.