PDA

View Full Version : 2-piece rear rims on a 1985 atc200s.

MonkOFox
04-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Ok, I took the rims apart to put some new tires on, I thought that maybe (for some crazy reason) that the rims were made to seal, but that wasn't the case.
So I went to autozone and got some High heat, torque and etc.. RTV and put a bead around the outside lip, inside lip and around each bolt hole. I just snugged the 4 bolts down
and then after an hour cranked on them tight.

Do you think the RTV will seal good enough?

I made sure to wire wheel the surface and wipe it down really good.

If it doesn't work should I just trash em and get some solid rims?

I looked on some blown out schematics and nothing was even shown or mentions about the rim coming apart...

Thanks.

Vealmonkey
04-24-2012, 09:20 AM
The only thing that sealed those rims originally from the factory was a rubber o ring between the 2 halves. If you are that concerned, you can just run a innertube. Problem solved.

MonkOFox
04-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah I saw that somewhere. Hopefully it will seal though. Thanks.

pipeline triker
04-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I make a gasket out of rubber roofing. Lay the rim or the metal ring on the material and spray white or a light colored paint. You will be able to see all the holes and the shape and size. Cut out with a scissers and put in the rim. i have done this with great sucess. Tubes work too but they are almost $20 each and you would have to do both. Another thing you can do is, ( you did not here this from me) put a quart or a little less of latex paint in each tire and ride around slowly for about 5 min. Seals all the leaks but the rim and tire are pretty much bonded for life after doing this.