PDA

View Full Version : rim size?

stillhunter
04-22-2012, 09:45 PM
I've been looking at new tires for my sx but the options are limited for the 8in. rim.Forgive my stupidity but will other Honda rims fit my sx. I like the swamplites but the smallest they come is a 9in.So I just wanted to know if any Honda rims will fit or only certain models, Thanks

hillbilly 200x
04-22-2012, 09:51 PM
rims off a 400ex are spot to bolt on but they are 9inch rims

stillhunter
04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
So no other three wheeler rims will fit then.Realy I wanted to go to a 25" tire but most of those take 10&11" rims.But the swamplites come in a 22-11-9 so I don't know what to do.I wanted to go to a larger tire to get a little more clearance and floatation.

Howdy
04-22-2012, 10:10 PM
So no other three wheeler rims will fit then.Realy I wanted to go to a 25" tire but most of those take 10&11" rims.But the swamplites come in a 22-11-9 so I don't know what to do.I wanted to go to a larger tire to get a little more clearance and floatation.

A few different 3 wheelers use the same bolt pattern ( 4/110 ), but for the life of me can't remember what all ones will work on the sx's. The 350x's and 85-86 250r's use a 9" rim. You have to watch out for the inside bell of the rim. On some the bell is smaller and won't fit over the sx brake drum.

I don't reccomend putting 25" on a 250sx. The tires will bog the motor down quite a bit and cause your clutch / drive shaft to wear out sooner. But that is just my opinion.
Howdy

stillhunter
04-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Hey I'm pretty new to the threewheelers but developed an addiction with that first tri-z ,which is gone now replaced with the sx ,that I couldn't be happier with. I kinda figured that there would be differences in design between some models and as I said I'm still learning so all advice is greatly appreciated.

dougspcs
04-23-2012, 07:13 AM
There is a limited choice in tires for your machine due to it's 8" rim, that much is true.

But check these out..they make an incredible rear tire and will fit your rear rims.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/50/81/165/723/-/5375/Kenda-Bear-Claw-ATV-Tire?0

I installed them on my machine and they are great..

This size won't fit the front because it's too wide to go between the forks.

For the front I bought an alternate size tire/rim & spacers to centre the rim..let me know if you are interested I can send you a link for the rim, alternate tire size and spacers you will need for the front.

This thinner, taller front tire made this an exceptional trail machine.

I completely agree with Howdy, 25" on this machine would be a bad idea..stay close to the orginals for best results and machine longevity!!

stillhunter
04-23-2012, 07:49 AM
They look pretty good,as for the front I run my tire pretty hard because if I run it at specified psi it will rub and I don't want that. Right now it has 22-11-8 all around.If you could send me the link for the front that would be great.No rush as my tires are still good ,like new but I'm kicking around the idea of changing them for better performance and then studding up the old ones for winter.

dougspcs
04-23-2012, 12:06 PM
They look pretty good,as for the front I run my tire pretty hard because if I run it at specified psi it will rub and I don't want that. Right now it has 22-11-8 all around.If you could send me the link for the front that would be great.No rush as my tires are still good ,like new but I'm kicking around the idea of changing them for better performance and then studding up the old ones for winter.

Sure, the list of stuff you will need to put an alternate wheel/tire on your 250SX if you want to do it the same:

1/ 23x8x11 Kenda Bear Claw

2/ 11X6 4.0 + 2.0 - 4/110 ITP Steel Wheel Silver - 1986 Honda TRX 250X FOURTRAX (Front)

3/ 2" wheel spacer to get the offset correct. then spaced it between the forks and measured with tape measure..it took a couple flat washers to get it perfectly centred between the forks. you could probably skip that part I am just kind of a perfectionist and wanted it dead on.

The handling with the taller/wider wheel is amazing..the wide front tire tends to lead you around on the ruts in the trails. This arrangement makes for much improved steering on the rough trail.

stillhunter
04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks alot,I was down at royal distributing this morning and was looking at the bear claws. They look nice, pretty soft rubber, how do they stand up? I was also looking at the GBC Gators, their pretty meaty & come in stock size.

dougspcs
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks alot,I was down at royal distributing this morning and was looking at the bear claws. They look nice, pretty soft rubber, how do they stand up?

awesome..they are insane in the mud too!!!

Jason125m
04-23-2012, 12:37 PM
If you're looking for another 3 wheelers wheel that is 9".... the 250es rear wheels are the same offset I believe, and they're 9 ".
I have Kenda Bearclaws on my 250es, I ripped a couple chunks out of the tread within a month. But I still really like the tire.
I have ITP Swamplites on my 250sx, and occasionally on the 350x. They're also a great tire, I would rate them up there with Bearclaws.
I also agree, Do not put a 25" tire on the 250sx.... It'l have no power, and your differential will not like them! ESPECIALLY bearclaws..... really HEAVY.

stillhunter
04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys, I will not be putting "25's on that's for sure. I know a couple of guys with es's so Maybe I'll try theirs on mine and see if they fit right and know for sure.One of the guys has a parts machine es but ,the bugger won't part with anything.sure would be convenient.

dougspcs
04-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys, I will not be putting "25's on that's for sure. I know a couple of guys with es's so Maybe I'll try theirs on mine and see if they fit right and know for sure.One of the guys has a parts machine es but ,the bugger won't part with anything.sure would be convenient.

22x12x8 will fit..that is what's on mine

Name Brand
04-23-2012, 01:46 PM
I am a big fan of Kenda Bearclaws. Mine are holding up very well and I tend to seek out rough and difficult terrain. Mine have normal wear and a few small cuts after a few years. Never had a puncture or unseated them from a bead. Best thing I can say about them is that I will be getting another set for my next SX build...

As far as running 25" tires; it can be done and works great if you swap out the rear diff to the one found in a TRX250. I did this and used the TRX250 swingarm to extend the wheelbase a few inches. I will be doing this in my next SX build also...

Check the SX link in my signature if you are curios about how and why I did it.

dougspcs
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
I used the TRX250 swingarm to extend the wheelbase a few inches. I will be doing this in my next SX build also...

Check the SX link in my signature if you are curios about how and why I did it.

I like it..I might try that if I can find one!!!

stillhunter
04-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks again guys, Doing a whole swap out ie, trx 250 wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but it sounds good and doable ,might even know where to get one.I think I've checked yours out a little while ago Name Brand,you have the removable snorkle to if I remember correctly.But I think for now I'll probably stick with just tires & rims

Tecate Karl
04-24-2012, 06:03 PM
I replaced my front tire and rim did not require any spacers I have the info saved if you want but it is only a 10in rim.

stillhunter
04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
A "10 wheel is fine.It would allow me a few more options in tires.Ya I would appreciate the info,thanks.In my catalogue it shows a few models that take the same rim replacement #. It says the 83/84 250r had the same rear rims, 85/86 had "9 so now I'm wondering if they would fit my rear. There were others as well including some kawi's and slowzukis.Here is the page,sorry it didn't scan to well145665

Tecate Karl
04-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Here it is man its a 4/110 Douglas .125 wheel 10x5 3.0+2.0- 93 Honda trx 200/d (front) rocky mountain atv stock number is 1087590012, price is 41.99 your best bet for a rear rim is look at the rims for the big red the rear end is the same the gearing diffrence is in the motor I just found this out myself. Those are a nine inch rim. the only thing you have to watch for is if they are the drop centers like the 400ex and the 450r I'm sure of. They are the same bolt pattern but the rims won't fit over the brake. I have a bunch of after market rims and they fit most of my Honda stuff. my 450, 250r x2, 250sx all my after market rims fit all of these machines they are 9 and 10 inch rims.

stillhunter
04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the info.