PDA

View Full Version : how the bleep do i wire this???

200xman123
04-22-2012, 12:58 PM
ok guys this is probably simple but i confused myself i bought a engine off of ebay and it is called the renegade 200 brand new and i finally get it in at my house and there are 2 sets of wirescoming out down by the chain casing and one set is wires with connections and the other set seems to have to plug into somthing and i need to wire it up to my stock 85 200x wiring possible? if you could post pics it would be much aprreatiated.
trailprotrailprotrailpro

jb2wheels
04-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Did you get the CD and voltage regulator/rectifier with the engine?

You need them because:
- the 200X does not come with any kind of regulator or rectifier (the lights are the regulator on the original X and the Chinese charging system will pop them when you hit about 2500 RPM)
- the CDI is likely engine specific although the 200X piece might work - if you're willing to risk it

You will also need a starter solenoid and a pushbutton momentary switch to run it. You can probably get these from any lawnmower type shop.

I'm guessing on wire colors here but, assuming you try to use the 200X CDI and coil and switches:

(ground) green wire from Chinese engine to green wire on 200X harness
(CDI trigger) blue/white from Chinese engine to Blue/Yellow on 200X harness
(CDI power) red/black from Chinese engine to Black/Red on 200X harness
(alternator for lights and charging battery) 1 yellow and 1 white or 2 yellows, both go to the voltage regulator/rectifier

You can try to track down the matching plugs for the wires coming out of the engine or wire up some blade or other connectors for it.

Now the fun part since you're adding a battery and solenoid to run the starter.

run a fat black wire from the battery ground to the engine somewhere
run a fat red wire from the battery + terminal to a big terminal on the solenoid
run a fat red wire from the other big terminal on the solenoid to the starter
run a small black wire from the other small terminal on the solenoid to the pushbutton switch

When I say "fat" I used 8ga car audio wires
Small wires? 14ga or 16ga is probably OK.

To run the lights, run a red wire from the battery (with a fuse) to the yellow wire on the 200X harness. The yellow wire feeds the light switch. Blue and brown come out of the light switch and power the lights.

To charge the battery, run the red wire from the regulator/rectifier to the + terminal on the batter (with a fuse).

If you're not adding a starter and solenoid and battery, run the yellow wires from the engine to a 2 wire regulator and to the 200X harness yellow wire.

200xman123
04-23-2012, 03:25 PM
i did not get the rectifier with the motor and my 200x is a racer 200x look allike to be like my dads old race bike so im not going to run lights

200xman123
04-23-2012, 05:11 PM
thanks sooooooooo much i got it running just barley and it runs perfect havnt had a chance to ride it because it started raining but man! feels like it has good power no hesitation at all

jb2wheels
04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
FANTASTIC!!

Really excellent work - wiring can be intimidating. Well done tackling the project.

I'm very happy with the Loncin in my 84 - it'll walk all over the tired stocker in my other 84.

200xman123
04-24-2012, 03:36 PM
thank you i am so proud i was smiling ear to ear it idles perfect with no hesitation

oscarmayer
04-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Did you get the CD and voltage regulator/rectifier with the engine?

You need them because:
- the 200X does not come with any kind of regulator or rectifier (the lights are the regulator on the original X and the Chinese charging system will pop them when you hit about 2500 RPM)
- the CDI is likely engine specific although the 200X piece might work - if you're willing to risk it

You will also need a starter solenoid and a pushbutton momentary switch to run it. You can probably get these from any lawnmower type shop.

I'm guessing on wire colors here but, assuming you try to use the 200X CDI and coil and switches:

(ground) green wire from Chinese engine to green wire on 200X harness
(CDI trigger) blue/white from Chinese engine to Blue/Yellow on 200X harness
(CDI power) red/black from Chinese engine to Black/Red on 200X harness
(alternator for lights and charging battery) 1 yellow and 1 white or 2 yellows, both go to the voltage regulator/rectifier

You can try to track down the matching plugs for the wires coming out of the engine or wire up some blade or other connectors for it.

Now the fun part since you're adding a battery and solenoid to run the starter.

run a fat black wire from the battery ground to the engine somewhere
run a fat red wire from the battery + terminal to a big terminal on the solenoid
run a fat red wire from the other big terminal on the solenoid to the starter
run a small black wire from the other small terminal on the solenoid to the pushbutton switch

When I say "fat" I used 8ga car audio wires
Small wires? 14ga or 16ga is probably OK.

To run the lights, run a red wire from the battery (with a fuse) to the yellow wire on the 200X harness. The yellow wire feeds the light switch. Blue and brown come out of the light switch and power the lights.

To charge the battery, run the red wire from the regulator/rectifier to the + terminal on the batter (with a fuse).

If you're not adding a starter and solenoid and battery, run the yellow wires from the engine to a 2 wire regulator and to the 200X harness yellow wire.

Nice work and write up sir! :)

200xman123
04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
your right i owe a HUGE thank you to jb couldnt have done it with out u