PDA

View Full Version : my 85 250r Rebuild

f4istunna
04-21-2012, 09:23 PM
ive had this one about 2 years, only rode it around the yard once right when i bought it. I kept putting it on the back burner behind other projects and work i had lined up but finally getting around to it. Stripped it down last week and painted frame. All the new bearings are here for chassis and all engine bearings/seals and gasket set should be here monday or tues. assembly startin soon. Ill try to keep pics coming of the progress. I thought i had a pic of the trike complete on my computer but cant find it. Heres the frame before and after paint, and the motor before i cleaned it up. cases and jug will be blasted and painted with stove paint sometime this week.

gomer202
04-21-2012, 09:53 PM
frames lookin good

f4istunna
04-28-2012, 10:54 PM
got a few things done today ... Cleaned up the oxidized tank and polished up the rest of the parts. Hit tank with rubbing compund on buffer then worked mothers in by hand. came out pretty good. Threw a pic in of the surprise i got when i pulled the carrier out to change bearings. Got a 86 setup i can throw on it though.

also got my little zinger pretty much buttoned up . Got one in peices from a family members barn cpl years ago, bought another basket case for $100 and a few odds and ends later .... cant wait til my boy is old enough to take off on it, in the mean time ill break it in for him :Bounce I have the plastic for it but i need to find a better set theyre feeling pretty brittle

slaughter
04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
nice job on the tank the build is looking good

STROK'IN-2SMOKE
04-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Nice man, good idea on the tank I'm gonnato try that!
Have you ever had any problems on the swinger bolt not coming off??? so far every 250r swinger bolt i try getting off it's seized.

D-dub
04-29-2012, 12:20 AM
looks good! still have the 82?

f4istunna
04-29-2012, 08:17 AM
145984only hard part about doing the tank with a buffer that big is holdin onto it lol. Had to have the wife come out and hold the tank still for me. I didnt have any good pads for the drill attachment or i woulda just used that.

this swingarm bolt was a little seized but not too bad in this one, ive seen way worse. i just tore a 250r quad (89 so solid swingarm pivot) down a cpl months ago that was horrible. I had to lay on its side for a week or so sprayin pb blaster, then heated the pivot area of swingarm a little and it finally started moving.

Ddub i have a 81 i redid a cpl years ago heres a pic of what it looks like now i just need to pull the motor out one of these days and repaint it. other than the 81 and 85 r's i have the little zinger and a original 86 350x. Had another 86 350x i completely redone and customized but had to let one of them go to make room for new projects so sold the black one and kept the og.

Mosh
04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Movin along..He when you come down next weekend, if you need to do any bearing work in the cases, bring those too and we can press em out and back in while you are here.
Also make a list of anything you may need and we can root through my stash and see what I may have. Shoot me a reminder Friday you are coming so I can bring my bearing knives and adapters home from work.

Hopefully you can get this beast out to one of the trike races with us this year some time. You would probably do pretty good!

f4istunna
04-29-2012, 09:09 AM
rob thanks man. Ya im puttin all new bearings in the cases so ill bring them along too. She's going together as a weekend/daily rider , lookin forward to taking it out as much as possible this season.

f4istunna
05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
made a little more progress over past cpl days, split the cases down got motor cases and topend blasted and painted high temp bbq paint. Same with swingarm. Did it in rustoleum gold metallic, came out pretty close to factory color. Got a few peices on the frame this evening.