PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remove the engine from my DX right now needs some help!!

swampthang
04-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm trying to get the engine out of the dx this mourning and I need some help guys. If you seen my other thread about asking if you can get the engine out with the header pipe on well heres the answer. I dont think its possible at least it didnt work out for me, But I did get the header pipe off successfully. PB blaster and let the motor get warm and they came out like butter. :cool:

My question now is what side does the engine come out on left or right? What do I need to do for the driveshaft to remove the engine? From what I seen in the manual it looks like it just slides forward off the splines. Is there anything I need to unbolt from the driveshaft??

Any help would be awesome! I'm hoping to get the engine swapped over from one machine to the other today so I can test ride it tommorow.

Yamaha3wheeler
04-21-2012, 12:10 PM
PB blaster is awesome stuff. I have like 10 cans of it. You are correct that the shaft is sectioned and the spline will slide out. Do you have the Chilton manual? There is a .pdf of it floating around on here. That manual saved me many times. Before you start pulling it apart any further, I would try to locate it.

dougspcs
04-21-2012, 12:29 PM
For what it's worth the manual say remove the cylinder head as part of the engine removal. Not totally sure if it is required to make space to raise the engine?

But that aside lift the front of the engine and work it out thru the left side and the driveshaft will slip of the splines.

swampthang
04-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Ok I figured it out. It comes out on the left side. I had to loosen the swingarm to get it to slide off the shaft. I got it out and I'm half way threw getting the second engine out. Quick lunch break then I only have a few hours to get the 2 back together and running before I have to shut down the garage for the night ( have to take the old lady out!):rolleyes: The manual is so confusing for the yamahas they have like 4 different models all in one manual.

Yamaha3wheeler
04-21-2012, 01:05 PM
That is a different manual. The manual I have is just the 225dx. May have some ytm200 stuff in it but there are not 4 models. I also have the manual you are referring to that includes the tri-z. It is a POS.

DSHOT59
04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Did the exhaust have bolts or allen heads ? Mine has allen heads ,And they won`t budge I can`t even seem to find anything that fits them right they have real shallow heads. Wondering if they are stock and if they are if anybody knows what size they are supposed to be.

swampthang
04-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Did the exhaust have bolts or allen heads ? Mine has allen heads ,And they won`t budge I can`t even seem to find anything that fits them right they have real shallow heads. Wondering if they are stock and if they are if anybody knows what size they are supposed to be.

There Allen head metric size 5.

Lil Earl
04-22-2012, 12:13 PM
i took my cylinder head off then pushed the motor foreward and mine came out the right side of the bike haha

DSHOT59
04-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks swamp.