PDA

View Full Version : Where do you start with your build?

kristofrogers
04-21-2012, 02:51 AM
I've been trying to find a starting point for my build(s) but I'm not exactly sure where to start from or where to go. I know the results I want just not the steps.... Sounds weird but I feel almost overwhelmed when I look at my trikes/parts. I've done a few other builds before but I never had as many options. What do you guys typically do when you are going to start a new project? Just pickin' your brains...

atc300r
04-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I start with the mechanical side first.Get it running good,replace bearings and seals and gaskets, Last part for me to make it look good.But thats just me.Good Luck with your build.

dougspcs
04-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Engine/transmission is where I always start..

compression test to verify health state of engine, transmission shifting properly, clutch operations, drive-line(chain or shaft component state).

I recently got a 185 in pretty good shape as a non-running machine..a quick compression test (60psi) really made my decision easy that this is a parts only machine.

You gotta have a basic idea of the money you are about to spend on these units..you can get upside down pretty quick!!

yaegerb
04-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Depends on what you want. A daily driver or a garage queen. Daily driver, put your money on mechanical and do a cheap/basic facelift on the aesthetics of the bike (paint not powder, good cleaning, etc). Garage queen/show bike you would take your time and money to each component of the machine. With this approach, I start with the frame and then the engine. After that is complete I work from the forks to the Swingarm.

SWIGIN
04-22-2012, 01:56 AM
I always gather parts first, then when I have most of what I think I'll need I start.

How or where you start really don't matter but I would always tear a used machine down to the bare frame. This way you'll know 100% that everything has been looked at and well lubed during installation.

falloutboy
04-22-2012, 02:23 AM
I'm in the middle of my first full resto. I don't recommend going the route I have. When I picked up the Tecate, all I wanted to do was make it run. Well, since the engine had been sitting on the coast in a garage with the top end off for 10+ years, I figured a full engine rebuild was in order. I thought, well it needs to look good, so I painted the engine. Then the frame started looking pretty ugly. Time for powdercoat. After that the aluminum was looking pretty dull. Time to polish. It has been a snowball effect, but will be well worth it.

If I was to do another, first I would figure out what I want my final product to be and how much I am willing to spend. I would definitely want it to be mechanically sound, cosmetics is a close second for me, but in a budget minded build, paint is ok. The more work you can do yourself, the more you will save.

TtownJoeShow
04-22-2012, 07:48 AM
I like to get the engine done or up to par first... Then the swing arm and bearings... Brakes then all the little things... Looks are last!!!

Good luck with your build!!

Dirtcrasher
04-23-2012, 12:28 AM
I tear them all the way down and figure out whats junk and what will be on the hunt.

At least then you can place bulk orders and save some bucks.

If your just freshening it up with stock parts, no biggie.

But, beware, you may get the TRIKE CURSE; At which point your porting heads and begging people for a wider axle along with a Westcoast swinger :D

kristofrogers
04-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks guys. I have 3 tecates (2 runners) so I have Plentyyyyy of parts... I think I'm gonna tear the two other trikes (keep the frame I have with the pink for sure) and add pieces until I'm happy. The engine I want to use runs but it has the feeling of "hey yea I still run but I REALLY need a top end"... i'm sure you guys know that feeling. After that if I'm happy with how its comin' out I may splurge for some new plastics and some powder coating xD. I'll have to sell some parts from the other two trikes to fund it though so I may be on here with some goodies for sale soon! I'll also start a build post, I know I love reading through your guys' builds!

El Camexican
04-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Pick the project, don’t let it pick you. Think it out; don’t end up being one of those guys that puts 100K into an AMC Matador because that’s what his uncle left him in his will.
Envision what you want the end result to be (driver, show piece, racer)
Do you plan to sell it for a profit? If so that can change the way you want to do things (you may opt for rings and a hone instead of a new sleave and piston)
Don’t start with a POS, paying an extra $1,000 for a clean running example is a bargain compared to a $500 basket case.
Avoid heavily modified machines unless you are building a racers and it has the parts you want on it. It can take a huge amount of time and money to find and replace all the missing parts on a vehicle that’s been butchered
Research the vehicle if you don’t know about it already. Read old reviews, check parts availability on eBay and other sites. Make sure you aren’t getting into something way out of your league i.e. Don’t buy a 1914 Harley frame with two bent rims and no engine if your budget is $3,000 total.
Buy it (if you don’t own it already) take photos, lots of them, wiring, hoses, cables, controls. I recently started narrating videos as I tore my project down. It was invaluable when I had to route the wiring again.
Buy a manual before you start your teardown
Make sure you have the space and cash to see it to the end (The wife's permission dosen't hurt either)
Buy a bunch of Ziploc bags, masking tape, permanent marker, a note book, pen and plastic storage bins.
Tear down the beast and inspect everything as you go. Write down everything that needs replacing.
Label and pack away everything in a way that you’ll be able to figure out what you have 10 years from now (you never know) especialy the wires.
Due to my logistics issue (Mexico) I usually start with the engine. You may need to order some specialty tools as well (fly wheel puller) If need be I send the crank, cylinder, transmission, suspension etc. to the States if they need work I can't do and order all the other parts I need. While all that’s going on I work the frame and polish things when time permits. I’m usualy able to get the frames ready before the engines are done. One of the hardest things to get right is the hardware. I always use stainless steel hardware whenever possiblem frame and engine. I’m getting better at ordering them, but it seems I’m always short a few nuts and bolts and it can take weeks to get what I missed the first time around.

I hope your project works out for you.

dirtjunkie85
04-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah it really depends on if you're wanting to to be a real "looker" or if you're wanting it to go not necessarily bash on, but ride a lot more often then I wouldn't spend every dime you have on it. I mean I have a pretty clean 85 R. Not the best looking but also not the worst. Runs perfect too. But I started on gutting the bike to the frame and sandblasting the frame and putting some fresh paint on it. Then usually while I have the motor out I'll take it to the machine shop and give it a real nice clean up. Then maybe some paint, toss it in, then start on your tuning. After all that I like to just get some nice stock looking rims with some new plastics eventually depending on the shape they're in. But this is just my opinion with all the parts you have you'll figure it out

ezmoney1979
04-23-2012, 06:49 PM
A six pack. Have some friends over. Tell them all the things you are going to do with the bike while consuming said six pack. Proclaim it will be done for the next dune trip. Procrastinate for the next three months. Friends come over again. "Why don't you even have the motor assembled yet" they ask. The shop you are having bore your cylinder figures you are not in a hurry. You lose an important c-clip for your rear shock. Another dune trip comes and goes. About a year behind schedule you finally make your appearance. Thats pretty much my style.

dustrunner
04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
i like to power wash a project first. but thats me. nothing like a sparkiling clean atv to start on....

Amater45
04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Make it roll! then get into the motor. once you get that motor done, you dont want to have the feeling of "im done, but cant use it". Make it roll, make it run, make it shine. thats my motto!

atc007
04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
i like to power wash a project first. but thats me. nothing like a sparkiling clean atv to start on....

AMEN ! Degreaser and a steam genny ! Why start out behind the ball ??!! start clean,,EVERYTHING will go easier. You asked where you start! That's how you wanna start. Then yes,,get the chassis tight and dive into the drivetrain. You'll be fine and it really is very rewarding.