PDA

View Full Version : 200x chinese carb jetting???

ailll1
04-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi guys, I just bought a chinese knock-off carb from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-ATC200X-ATC-200X-CARBURETOR-CARB-1983-1987-/221001735940?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3374badf04

My 200x has a cobra full exhaust, no airbox lid, 6speed swap. The carb came with with a 95 main jet, 38 pilot. I've put a 97.5 main jet and a 40 pilot.

It idles great but bogs at wot. Lowering the needle makes it worse and raising it helps but still has issues, so I'm thinking its running lean. I cant interchange the jets from my stock because they are not the same type (bowl wont close)

Did any of you guys had to jet one of these carbs? Is it jetted that lean at first because they use the same carb for all the 200cc trikes?
I'm looking for a base on where to start my jetting.

Thanks!

shortline10
04-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Can you swap out your stock 200x float blow and use the stock 200x 108 main jet and install it on the chinese carb . Ive had some luck doing this . You might need to use your stock 200x needle valve also .

ailll1
04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Never thought about that! Will have to try. How did your X ran with the 108 main jet?

jb2wheels
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
My white X has a Chinese engine with the Chinese carb and a Bassani. It was jetted lean and always a pig to start when it was a dirt bike. When I put the engine in the ATC, I rejetted the carb from 38/95 toa 40/110 (pilot/main) and it runs great. Starts easy with no flat spots. I have not done a plug chop to check - I could be lean on top but I'm too lazy to check and it's not a 2 stroke so it's not as critical.

Based on my experience - you're way lean on the main. Try at least a 108 as suggested and do a plug chop to check. I bet you can use even more main jet than that.

jdm97ek4
01-28-2013, 05:27 PM
what internals did you rin for you 6speed swap on your x please pm me thanksd

jdm97ek4
01-28-2013, 05:28 PM
i used 50 pilot and 125 main for my Chinese 28mm carb on my 200x i had the same problem

newby200x
01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Just went throught this on mine. Mine uses the round main jets, I have no idea what size it had in it, because it wasn't stamped on it anywhere, but it bogged real bad at WOT unless you choked it and then it would run fine. But a 110,115, and 120 jet to try out, put the 120 in first and been running like a champ ever since. The original one in it was way too small.

jdm97ek4
01-28-2013, 10:19 PM
^ i agree i messed with mine for a week until i got it right

i ended up with a 50 pilot and 125main i believe needle clip in the middle

rttuck21
01-29-2013, 03:31 AM
I just did mine as well, it was the 27 or 28mm, ended up with the main at 120 any thing smaller would go flat on top, 100 was better but 112 got even better, and finally 120 was best, 130 was to much, with the stock 38 pilot it wouldnt idle and it needed a 45 or 46 pilot, A 38 to start with and my number drill bit set didn't go small enough for what i needed, with a torch bit cleaner i put it at 42, it worked ok, it was extremely cold natured most of the time, so I went bigger and more adjusting of the pilot screw, and then went to big, had to close pilot screw all together, so went and got a kit for a 84 200m so i could get the right style main jet, put all of it in there for a base line and started over, I had the clip all the way at the top on the needle, it would black smoke any other setting no matter which jet or pilot or any other setting, worked on it for over a month, my conclusion was it was the best it was going to get, everything I did it went from lean to rich at different points, and way to sensitive, I think i had a bad casting or something defective with the main body, so swapped a 200m carb body, emulsion tube and slide with the chineese carb , with 112 main and 38 pilot, clip on 2nd notch, it is now perfect!! so if anything you have a bunch of new parts to mix in, either way 20 bucks is always worth a try, cant buy a carb bowl for that, I searched the forum for a while and tried everyones suggestions on what worked for them, and seems everybodys is a lil different, but as this is a tuning process you have to work at it slow till perfection is achieved, sea level, temperature, and humidity have alot to do with it, it can get a lil frustrating but I agree with the 50/125 as it was very close to what mine needed, good luck, please let us know how it goes

ailll1
02-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Been a while since I started this thread... lol

Anyway, I've decided to toss the chinese carb away and got a Mikuni VM22 instead. So far, I'm having problems getting it started in cold. Won't start with the choke on and I need to give a little bit of gas for it to start either cold or hot. It wont idle more than 2-3 seconds before stalling like it has too much fuel. Once it starts cold, I can get it to run by itself on choke but to me it sounds REALLY rich. Top end pulls really hard, no problem there.

Right now, it has a 110 main and 40 pilot. I've tried 35 pilot and it got worst. The tip of the plug is brown but the base is black which means I'm running a little rich but because I can't get it to idle, I can't do a plug chop to really know whats going on at idle. Maybe I should try to put a bigger pilot jet and see what it does as some of you suggested.

Thanks!