PDA

View Full Version : Smokey crankcase ?!!?

1984 honda 200s
04-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Well, iv noticed recently that on my 200s theres clear smoke comming from the crank case and when i check my oil after maybe 2 mins of warm up theres steam comming from the dip stick hole !, What causes this? Ive done some searching and seems to me it leads to RINGS,, well it cant be that..not yet anyways, top end was redone 4 months ago and doesnt smoke threw the exhaust..... When its warm its blue smoke threw crank breather.
Last week or so i did blow a head gasket, ive replaced it and it quit smokeing threw the breather but now its doing it AGAIN !

atc007
04-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Wasn't it you that had a blown head gasket/ other troubles w a fresh Wiseco a cpl weeks back? You need rings. If it was you,I posted that then. Whatever,and why ever,you need a fresh seal again in your cylinder. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. Only one way combustion can get down in your crankcase.

1984 honda 200s
04-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah it was me AGAIN !! I blew the gasket again yesterday i have no idea why, its been such a dream all winter long now its just being a pile...
The gasket blew on the same side and head nut came off again, the engine stud itself is black and the dowel pin was melted aswell just like last time ! The left hand side at the back of the head.
I did notice before there was pressure comming from the breather and little oil was comming out but not lots, now its blue smoke and oil EVERYWHERE from the crank... could the rings have been installed upside down? Cousin put them on the piston for me one night then i installed everything the next day..

yamaha driver
04-15-2012, 09:14 PM
it sounds like your head is warped.... or cylinder surfaces are fked up. if its doing it in the same spot multiple times thats your reason for blowing gaskets

Jason125m
04-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Did you use a CHEAP head gasket? Anything but Honda OEM SUCKS!

1984 honda 200s
04-15-2012, 09:26 PM
I have no idea, its always the metal ring that melts to the dowel pin and then to the stud !
Well talking about cheap gaskets, wanna know something funny?? When i did my rebuild, the lad got gaskets for me, there made by Winderosa.. i put them in and for the first couple rides the base gasket would seap oil all the time, the more i drove it the less it would leak and finally stopped leaking, then the cylinder head gasket started to get wet then all of a sudden pooff DESTROYED.
So im guessing Winderosa gaskets are junk? What should i do then, order a different brand or OEM?
I was always thinking such its a .20 200x wiseco, its too much compression for my 200s engine or just gaskets are junk....?

Jason125m
04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
I would check over gasket mating surfaces for any burs, or any warpage.
Measure your ring gap, inspect cylinder, and if all is well, order some new dowel pins, and OEM gaskets for the whole thing.
I have several friends who decided to go cheap, and they let go within a month.

WJG1000W
04-15-2012, 09:35 PM
what oil are you running

atc007
04-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Again,you need a NEW stud and nut. Check your head and cylinder for warpage. New Honda gasket. Pull your cylinder,measure,start from scratch. Yes,rings can be put on upside down. The markings always go up.Start at the cases and build her up right! Again,,the bearer of bad news.. But you've gotta get the loosening nut problem addressed.

Dirtcrasher
04-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Something is wrong or can't hold the torque speq and or you have a warped head which you would know if it's been yours for awhile.

They have to get pretty hot to warp. Or a prior by mechanic......

Then again this is why they say "loosen bolt A, then B, then C, then D. You can warp then merely by dis-assembly........ Always crisscross slowly;Never just zing them out one at a time.

1984 honda 200s
04-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I wasnt going to put this but, the first time i blew the head gasket was my mistake intirely, i had pulled the engine out to shine it up real good to get the grease off the engine. When doing so, i pulled the head pipe off, cleaned the engine all up with citrus degreaser then reinstalled. Im guessing when i mated the header to the muffler, i pushed the asbestos gasket back into the muffler making it loose and when i went for a ride later on, it had fallen completly into the muffler PLUGGING it solid And thats when it blew.
I got it towed home, pulled the engine changed the gasket and checked it all over... when i installed the header back on i didnt see the muffler gasket anymore ! So that was my first clue...
I pulled the muffler off and sure enough it was packed solid ! I took a drill with a long drill bit to clean it all out, ive got it all im sure i couldnt see anymore but i could be mistaken because it happened again!!!! My fault entirely...
EDIT: im running 10w40 kendall, and for rings upside down... i remembered that this wiseco 200x piston didnt have any markings on the rings..

atc007
04-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Every Wiseco,or any ring for that matter HAS a stamped mark on the end of the ring on ONE side. Anyhow,you know what you need to do now : ) Pull her apart and spec everything,,if you end up needing a used head,,I think one will be cheap. Good luck!

1984 honda 200s
04-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Ive only got about 3 of them laying around lol, thanks for the help!

1984 honda 200s
04-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Well i tore into the trike about a half hour ago and its terrible... the rings are non-existant and theres a large chunk taken out of the piston side where i kept blowing the head gasket, lots of carnage...
Time for another rebuild UUUGGGGHHHH

yamaha driver
04-16-2012, 04:28 PM
have any pics?? sounds like it was installed wrong causeing that damage

Jason125m
04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Make sure you listen to the manual when you put it back together. Gaps in the rings must be installed 120 degrees from one another.... and don't put them upside down!

1984 honda 200s
04-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Well ive got some pics but the uploader says there too big.. 3.5mbs...
The rings are non existant and theres a hudge chuck of piston missing... its really terrible.. Id love to show pics.
The ring end gaps were scattered and i doubt they were installed upside down, i would of liked to check but since the damage is to far, i cant even identify the darn things.
Im guessing when the muffler gasket fell inside and plugged it (first time the head gasket blew) it did more damage than i thought. Ive got tons of pics on BOOKFACE of the carnage... too bad they wont upload on here.

mi500
04-17-2012, 10:08 AM
try and use photobucket.

1984 honda 200s
04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
unsure how to use photo bucket... ?!

Jason125m
04-17-2012, 08:26 PM
try using http://imageshack.us/

1984 honda 200s
04-17-2012, 10:54 PM
well i think...