PDA

View Full Version : 185 running questions

yamaha driver
04-15-2012, 07:24 PM
so 1 week ago my auto x didnt idle and if you went from 1/4 to WOT as fast as you could push the throttle it would die untill you let go... now this weekend it just lags a little inbetween then jumps up to the higher r's and idles perfect. I NEVER touched the carb at all since i had to fix my swingarm and axle. it has a new moose carbkit about 2 months old... i was not running a inline filter untill after this problem has started. aircleaner is in good shape also.

dougspcs
04-15-2012, 07:41 PM
1st thing..verify the engine compression.

Since proper compression also links to intake vacuum pressure it will affect carburetion..grab a compression gauge and do quick test.

I have similar issues with my 185s and after removing and cleaning carb and other tuneup related attempts I found the compression was only about 110psi.

After a set of rings, the compression is back and it starts and runs perfectly.

yamaha driver
04-15-2012, 07:47 PM
i dont have a small compression sparkplug hole thing for my compression tester. i only have one for 250r's and yamaha 125's and such. but i can tell you it HAS compression. it will blow your finger off the sparkplug hole like no tommorow

EDIT: this problem started last week when i was driving around for about 20 minutes then i noticed it acting up.

dougspcs
04-16-2012, 07:30 AM
i dont have a small compression sparkplug hole thing for my compression tester. i only have one for 250r's and yamaha 125's and such. but i can tell you it HAS compression. it will blow your finger off the sparkplug hole like no tommorow

EDIT: this problem started last week when i was driving around for about 20 minutes then i noticed it acting up.

Still could be a carb issue, I wouldn't give on an engine check before wasting a bunch of time..it will cost you about $25 at your local parts supply for a compression tester.

Scootertrash
04-16-2012, 07:57 AM
My local NAPA will "rent" (it's actually free) a compression tester to customers. Whether it has the proper spark plug fitting is another issue. I prefer the compression testers that screw into the plug hole as opposed to the tapered rubber ones you have to hold in place.

yamaha driver
04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
its not running like its low on compresssion though... when my dads 250r had 110lbs of compression you would hit the gas and it would take about 1.5 sec-2 sec till it hit high r's. this one just cuts out when you hammer the thottle then regains

atc007
04-16-2012, 08:50 AM
IF,it was runing good before,,w the Moose kit. you're lucky,aftermarket carb kits don't usually play well w stock Honda barbs. Anyhow,you need to THOROUGHLY clean and blow out your carb. You have ingested garbage out of your tank. Clean your tank out and clean your filter.

dougspcs
04-16-2012, 08:56 AM
This isn't your dad's 2 stroke..

For me, fixing is fun but I alway follow a logical course when I am working a problem..

No one wants to hear they may have a big job ahead of them..

Start with the basics..if you want to play with these old machines you will being needing a compression tester anyway.

Might as well buy it..then you have it for future projects. Everyone of my machines gets a compression test to give me a over all health reading on the engine. Saved me putting any time and energy into another 185s I bought in non-running condition and the seller said he thought it was a carb issue.

The test showed 60psi on the cylinder..I won't even be turning a screw on that unit it's screwed. Parts machine..good thing I stole it!

You asked for advice, until you know your engine health are wasting your time!!

Scootertrash
04-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Doug, excellent advice, that should be posted as a sticky on the first page of Trikesylvania!

Everyone wants to play but nobody wants to pay. If you are going to wrench you need to buy the proper tools, or rent them until you can afford to buy. Never assume anything when you wrench, it'll only create more work for you. ;)

Jason125m
04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
For me, fixing is fun but I alway follow a logical course when I am working a problem..

Fixing is also one of my favorite things to do. Once you get it running great again, its a great feeling of satisfaction. Knowing that you did it, and not a Honda dealer that would charge you 90/h is something to be proud of.

I often find myself staring at my trikes just looking for something to fix up or do!

x2 On aftermarket kits not working worth a shlt on Honda carbs. Do a compression test.... if all is good, tear the carb apart and clean...

yamaha driver
04-16-2012, 04:22 PM
alright.... i will prob just clean the carb since im positive its not the engine and my dad is positive it had great compression since he has been working on atv engines for years. if this has bad compression im not putting a new piston in in since its frikin hard to pull over after a day of riding when your arms are tired, it would rip them right off. and i have a compression tester but the autovalue around here only have the size for lawnmowers/cars/bigger atvs. i might try ebay to find one but what is the size of it supposed to be. Also every honda i bought i put a moose/suduco (i think??) in practly right away and works for a long time afterwords.

rdlsz24
04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
You can also try one of the eBay carbs for about the price of a rebuild kit. I've had good luck with one on my 110 and 200x

I have one of these Actron compression testers. Comes with all the adapters you need for working on small engines for about $40 at AutoZone. I had a different one by Actron before that was about $20 and didn't come with the reducing adapters so it was pretty much worthless for working on quads and trikes.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Actron-2-1-2-in-standard-and-metric-professional-compression-tester-kit/_/N-25j0?itemIdentifier=347021_0_0_

Rob

dougspcs
04-16-2012, 04:46 PM
alright.... i will prob just clean the carb since im positive its not the engine and my dad is positive it had great compression since he has been working on atv engines for years. if this has bad compression im not putting a new piston in in since its frikin hard to pull over after a day of riding when your arms are tired, it would rip them right off. and i have a compression tester but the autovalue around here only have the size for lawnmowers/cars/bigger atvs. i might try ebay to find one but what is the size of it supposed to be. Also every honda i bought i put a moose/suduco (i think??) in practly right away and works for a long time afterwords.

You asked everyone for advice then dismissed everything put before you..

Why ask??

yamaha driver
04-16-2012, 06:20 PM
cause i dont know if it could have jumped time, stator could be going or coil. Someone said clean the carb agian so thats what im going to do. only thing i dismissed is the compression thing i didnt dismiss everything. if you would read the thread some said to clean the carb and such agian. if i do that and it fixes the problem better yet. im not going to spend 20-40 bucks for a friggin adapter piece if i dont have to.