PDA

View Full Version : 86 200x general questions

matt3x
04-14-2012, 03:20 AM
Currently own an 85 200 auto x. Going to check out an 86 all original 200x tomorrow. Never owned a manual clutch trike before. Any ideas on things to look for on these? Will update thread tomorrow with pics and more info once I see the trike. What are the major problem areas on these?

Thanks in advance!!!

Dirtcrasher
04-14-2012, 10:22 AM
The 86 has about a 3MM smaller kickstarter shaft; They snap off. Then guys weld them on.....

There is also a part in the shifting mechanism that fails and you can't buy it.

The rest is basic maintenance items to look at; Tires, fork seals (or bent forks), shake it by the handlebars to see if the swingarm bearings are ok, check the shock; It should rebound slowly, The carrier and rear axle bearings are important to look at, check the air box and oil (color and level), ride it to make sure it shifts well and the clutch is good.

Good luck!

atc007
04-14-2012, 11:04 AM
All great advice as always^^ Rear carrier and axle being a BIG one for these. They are tough to come by.

Nick762
04-14-2012, 12:16 PM
What would it do if you shake the handlebars and the bearings are shot?

GO OVRIT
04-14-2012, 11:58 PM
What would it do if you shake the handlebars and the bearings are shot?

Wobble side to side.

atc007
04-15-2012, 07:05 AM
They're easy to miss that way unless they are completely gone. Always get on the bike,and wiggle it side to side with your footpegs. The ONLY give should be the sidewalls of the tires. this checks ALL points.Axle and hub splines,as well as swingarm and axle bearings/carrier. A 2nd to watch for movement if you're not familiar with this helps. But there should be NO movement when wiggling side to side with the footpegs.

Dirtcrasher
04-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Wobble side to side.

It's very easy, place on finger on the area where the bearing mounts and shake it by the bars. It should be solid without play. Also the swingarm pivot bolt works it's way loose and eggs out the frame mounting hole, then it never tracks right. If you finger feels no play, your golden. If it feels some slop, you have a bargaining tool :beer

matt3x
06-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Well it's been a while since I posted last. I ended up picking it up for $650. All original as far as I know except the fork boots. Everything is solid it seems. One problem though. The kickstart lever (that swings to the side) is loose and wobbly and can be pulled out of the mechanism that holds it. The actual kickstart works great very good response from it usually one or two kick start even when cold. Maybe missing a bolt that keeps the lever tight?

Pics coming.

Dirtcrasher
06-02-2012, 07:02 PM
There is only a good sized countersunk bolt that holds it together. The bolt and spring force it to rest in riding or starting position.

Most people never take it apart and get some thick waterproof grease in there.

Then they wear out.....

matt3x
06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Question for you guys - my left rear wheel wobbles slightly when the trike is in motion. It is snug at the wheel hub, all wheel nuts are snug. I notice very slight movement of the rear axle when I have the trike jacked up. It seems like the wheel is not on straight when the axle is moving, however the right wheel is fine and does not have any wobble and lines up straight when moving. Is this a bearing issue, bent axle, etc? It is noticeable visually, but when riding you can't feel anything wrong. Is it possible it's the tire?

Thanks

Matt

PS - I've never touched the rear axle/rear end on a 200X before.

atc007
06-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Both,you have worn axle bearings and a slightly bent rim. Replace those bearings before you trash that carrier,,they are very hard to come by!

matt3x
06-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the quick response ATC007. Any idea what part numbers the bearings would be? I need to order these ASAP and get them in ASAP before trikefest! How hard is it taking the axle out as opposed to like a 125M or a non suspended trike?

This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALL-BALLS-SWINGARM-BEARINGS-SEAL-KIT-HONDA-ATC200X-ATC-200X-1986-1987-200-/320907305140?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab790e0b4&vxp=mtr

Big Mike
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
No you need this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC200X-86-87-All-Balls-Rear-Axle-Bearing-Kit-/230686234551?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b5f897b7&vxp=mtr

Dirtcrasher
06-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Sadly, even new bearings don't always fix the issue.

If you splines and bearing journals on the axle are rusty, you will still have slop in the axle.

I cannot state how important it is to cover splines and bearing journals with a thick grease.

If you pull out the axle and the journals are rusty, it will still have slop.

I simply cannot believe it, but I have seen dozens of axles that are worn and rusty and dry as a bone.

And you guys playing submarine with your trike are just asking for water entry and eventually failure.....

matt3x
06-12-2012, 12:17 PM
I will check it out today Dirtcrasher. Thanks for the heads up. Thanks for the link Big Mike.

ATC007 - is the pipe/spacer you are talking about the one I included in my ebay link above?

atc007
06-12-2012, 12:17 PM
You will also need to replace the pipe/ spacer between the bearings. Otherwise you'll be doing her all over again. Do it once,do it right! If you don't ride in water,you'll be fixed up solid for years and years of service.

matt3x
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Got all my parts ordered, they should be here by the weekend and I'll be ready to go at trikefest. We will have to meet up if you are all going!