PDA

View Full Version : MY ATC/ATV storage (inspired by BKM)

Tyler 54
04-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Had the chance to meet up with BKM recently... His ATV shelf in his garage inspired me to build this baby. After my storage container fell through I was bummed and out of space. This costed me very litte as I used scrap wood pallets from work.. enjoy.. LOL

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/TylerMclaughlin/Picture007-1.jpg

aldochina
04-13-2012, 12:40 AM
nice man!! looks alot like mine !! mine was an old power lifting platform that i had built years ago!! sure does save the space, wish it was a bit lower, but its as low as it can be without the handle bars becoming a problem underneath!!
http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv103/aldochina/the%20fleet%20at%20home/100_2908.jpg

captainweezy
04-13-2012, 04:29 AM
Be careful Tyler that top looks just a hair overloaded. You might want to sell me that 350x. I bet that would help it.:lol::lol:

tri again
04-13-2012, 05:35 AM
I think I burned about 50 pallets to clear a creekbed for a new bridge.

Glad I saved some.
Now we can double up or storage for free.
I've got some 7 footers too.

Can't wait to get started now.

THanks for the suggestion.

atc007
04-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Hey Rory,,IF you EVER wanna sell that 86 X ...I'm just sayin : ) Or trade?? I don't have a nice one. VERY nice job on the setup Tyler !! Please rag and bag that new X bottom end !

rdlsz24
04-13-2012, 10:31 AM
That's sweet, I need to build something like that to better utilize wasted vertical space. How do you get them up top? Looks too high to use truck bed loading ramps.

Rob

aldochina
04-13-2012, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=rdlsz24;1115614]That's sweet, I need to build something like that to better utilize wasted vertical space. How do you get them up top? Looks too high to use truck bed loading ramps.

Rob[
/QUOTe]

thats why i wish it could be about 6 inches lower!! i have an extra long trifold ramp, but it is still very steep!! dont think a standard ramp will work! I have been meaning to mount a hand crank wench to the back wall, just havnt gotton aroung to it!

Tyler 54
04-13-2012, 11:01 AM
That's sweet, I need to build something like that to better utilize wasted vertical space. How do you get them up top? Looks too high to use truck bed loading ramps.

Rob

I used a small set of ramps, and tw of my buddys. We pushed them right up. My "Shelf" is 12.5 long, 6.5 deep, and 4ft tall. On the bottom I have extra parts behind the quads, and my salamander heater. On the top were all the parts sit. My 86 ATC250r will go there.

Dave Little
04-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Mezzanines are cool
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/QuantumDave/Rides/IMG_0032-1.jpg
but can be a pain in the arse,
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/QuantumDave/Rides/mezzanine2.jpg
expensive & painful too!
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/QuantumDave/Rides/IMG_0111.jpg

A set of long boards would take care of a 4 foot mezz no problem. Mine *was* at 6' 10" (deck height) so I could walk under it and not hit or have to duck my head. my ramps were 14 feet long and I still had a 52 degree climb. I could drive the SX up but no space to dismount. It had to go up backward under it's own power and me pushing so the rear tires wouldn't break loose. Bringing it down was fun too..., put it in 1st, tighten the front brake wingnut and let the rears drag all while being ready to get the hell outta the way. Those sled track cleats on the center ramp saved me a couple times. That notwithstanding, that sh*t got old FAST. I've since dismantled this and moved into bigger shop digs.

rdlsz24
04-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Holy crap man, is that your arm or leg? What's up with the hooks?

Rob

malibulvr
04-20-2012, 03:06 AM
WTF...LOL, now that looks painful!

dirtjunkie85
04-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Geez! Thought it was going to be a good idea to build one but now looking at that and thinking hmm I'm kind of accident prone I probably shouldn't!

Dave Little
05-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Holy crap man, is that your arm or leg? What's up with the hooks?

Rob
That's my left wrist in between cast changes at the doctor's office. Those hooks are SS pins that, at the time held my wrist together... most of them are just over 2" long.

WTF...LOL, now that looks painful!
Wasn't too bad, just more pissed off than anything at the time because I had stuff I wanted to get done that day.

I was just walking up it at the time to take a set of rear tires off a machine to take to the tire shop. Whenever a machine goes up or down, the ramps are screwed in place with a center support so they won't bow from the weight, but this time they were down because I needed the floor space so I set the cleated ramp in the picture up and had about over 10" of overlap at the top, no center support either, I'll only be a minute. Tools in hand, I briskly walked up, got to the top and had to duck my head to clear the steel roof beam. I rocked back off center and had to push of a little extra with my left foot, the one on the ramp. You can figure the rest. I'm just glad I didn't hit my head. I hit the ground perfectly horizontal and on the way down turned to my left to avoid getting impaled on another SX that had no plastics on at the time that was very close to the ramp. Anyway, at touchdown, I did not hit the wheeler but my hand was under me. It blew up (swollen) instantly. I thought I had sprained it really bad, couldn't move it but I didn't know any better since I had never broken a bone before. Surgeon than night said the distal radius was in too many pieces to count.

I only had the mezz up a month up to that point. Took a while to get back up on it and everytime I hated it. Although I never did, I just assume tie a rope to a machine and drag it off with the car. Better to replace fork tubes every ride than to fall again. This happened July 7, 2011. wrist is better now, but will never be what it was, ever. I've got about 90-95% functionality back. This also figured prominently into my decision to get out of trikes completely this past winter. Four days ago an 86 SX followed me home:p

Geez! Thought it was going to be a good idea to build one but now looking at that and thinking hmm I'm kind of accident prone I probably shouldn't!

I wouldn't discourage anyone from building one, Just be REAL FUC*ING CAREFUL getting up on one, especially getting machines up/down off of them. Take no chances with cheesy construction, short ramps, a deck that is too high, and the most important thing, the thing that would have saved me about $30,000+ in out of pocket medical expenses and lost wages: Make G-D :mad: M-F'ing sure those ramps are secured in place and can't kick out on you no matter what!

I'll be building another one soon at my new shop but not so tight to the ceiling. Machines will get winched up from behind, possibly even a forklift mast section lashed to the wall as an elevator.

Not to hijack this thread, let's see some more mezzanine pics gentlemen!