PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel and Left Side Cover - 350X

350x'inNY
11-18-2003, 01:35 AM
Well..... I got my 'new' daily driver 350X out of the trailer and into the shop for the first time. I bought it at night, and could only look at it with a half dead flashlight. Well.... I looked in front of the front sproket and ran my finger over it, and thought it was fine.

When I was looking at it tonight however, sometime in it's existance, the chain broke through both the Flywheel cover, and the Left engine case. There's a 'hole' about a ½" square up towards the top of the sprocket.

I probably already know what I have to do.... BUT.... how much damage do you think may already be in there from the previous owner driving it this way? If mud gets thrown in there from the chain, does it fall into the oil or just get tossed onto the flywheel? Is there anyway to 'patch' it or tape over it? OR.... do I need to replace the Flywheel cover and the Left case? (Which is what I know I should do! :rolleyes: )

Does anyone have these pieces for me? AND a case saver/sprocket cover? :?

Bruce

NOS_350X
11-18-2003, 02:45 AM
good luck finding a good one. many people run the 350x with a hole there and they have no problem. yet it still is a good idea to get a case saver. i would say just patch urs up with some JB weld.

hrc200x
11-18-2003, 06:50 PM
if it hit the case high chances are it got the air pocket like jeswinehart said. There is a gasket in there further so there are really no chances of dirt getting into the engine unless the damage when that far in. Its hard to see fine cracks from the outside, but they are very noticable when you take the cover off and look so that might be what you want to do because if it hit the case once to make the hole it might have hit it again and cracked it.

350x'inNY
11-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Well.... I'll try to take some pictures Thursday. BUT....

The flywheel/stator cover AND the left crank cover have pieces missing. Wouldn't the chuck missing from the crank case drop crap into the oil? Or is there a double hollow cavity there too?

Bruce

P.S. -- I'm going to change the oil and filter before I ride it and see what 'comes out'.