PDA

View Full Version : 310R finally starting to come together, with video now

Swinger
04-11-2012, 12:27 AM
I have been gathering parts for a few months now and just got my frame and swingarm bask from powder today. Sorry no pics of them right now, 2 yr old got ahold of the camera and will be needing a new one now. I am super stoked to finally be putting together instead of tearing apart. Im am pretty dissapointed in the frame and body bolt kit I got from ebay though. This is my first R build am learning as I go and now have learned that this kit is a PITA! Thats what I get for trying to save a buck though. I have a few small items that I may have BKM powder coat for me but gotta see what color the guy used on my frame first. My build is going to be black and red. Not a beauty queen but pretty nice I guess. It will get the crap rode out of it. My biggest goal is to have it all together and dialed in for TF this year and lots of work to do yet. Got a +9 89 TRX swinger that I will have to get fabbed to fit my trike for some serious climbing. I am really excited to be doing this and Im going to get back to it right now just had to share with some of the guys I got stuff off of that its build time. Ceasar, Bluewhale, Whyzee and everyone that gave me advise, thanks, Dave. Pics coming soon:w00t:

Swinger
04-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Here are a few befor pics 144844144845144845144846

Swinger
04-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Here are a few pics after some plastic restoration and cleanup 144849144850144851144852

JJMF1979
04-11-2012, 12:55 AM
t3 them plastics look great!!! did you do them up yourself?

Swinger
04-11-2012, 02:14 AM
Yeah, the tanks are pretty easy to do but the rears are alot more time consuming. Probably 6 hrs into the tank and at least double that into rears and still more to go on those yet. I did my cases as well and those turned out great for my first time with aluminum. Made myself a handy little tool to attach to a drill and away I went. Very time consuming but worth it in the end.

Swinger
04-11-2012, 02:29 AM
I am hoping my motor will be ready within a week or so. Shooting to get at it before the weekend because it is the opener for trout season and will be hard at work on the streams for a bit so gotta get alot acomplished this week. The only thing that is going to delay me is the top end. I got a brand new crank/long rod so am going to need to run a spacer plate and have heard that I may come up with clearance issues. The only thing I am waiting for is the case save bolt hole to get welded up and tapped and she will be ready for assembly. Anyone else here run a long rod in their ATC? Do's and don'ts?

RIDE-RED 250r
04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I stuck with the short rod setup when I did my 350 a while back. I have an '85 and from what I have seen the '85 has even less clearance for the sparkplug cap. You can run the shorty plug (BR8ECM) or BDT Motorsports owner/operator told me they make custom domes with the OEM style angled sparkplug hole. Here is their site.. http://www.bdtmotorsports.com/

Email them and ask about the custom dome with the angled plug hole. They offer ALOT more stuff than is shown on their site. Carlos is a heck of a good guy. VERY knowledgeable and helpful...

What 310 kit are you using? ESR, Pro-X, other???

Swinger
04-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I am using a kit I got from Ceasarthethird. It says JB racing. He didnt know anything about them and neither do I except I think they were from Jersey. Any info on this would be great. I am gonna try the shorty plug first to see what I got. Once I get it together this week I will know what kind of thickness I will need for a spacer plat then take it from there. I was going to just go with the standard rod but my mechanic said I would get a good bit more performance out of the long rod. Im easily persuaded!!:D Gonna cost me some extra coin but am curious to see how it does.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Is your R an '85 or '86?

If it's an '85 I would stick with the short rod or get the dome with the OEM style plug hole, (if one is available for the JB Racing cilinder). I have not heard of JB either....

I have felt no adverse characteristics of the short rod on my 350.. :naughty:

Mr. Clean
04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Nice job on the tank!! I spy a dewalt buffer and and AXE!!!! What is the axe for?? :wondering

Swinger
04-11-2012, 08:19 PM
The axe is to keep the wife outta the man cave:lol: I probably just had just got done splitting some wood, wood burner is right there!

Swinger
04-11-2012, 08:27 PM
The trike is an 86 but still got some concerns. Im sure I will get it figured out when the time comes. I still gotta find 86 rear brakes. Well its not so much find them its more find the extra funds. This build has cost a pretty penny so far because its been a piece by piece build, all started with a tank and then it was instant addiction from then on:w00t:

ceaserthethird
04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Right on Dave, keep up the good work :)

Swinger
04-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Just picked up a set of rear hubs from a friend that look brand new for an 86 TRX and going to put new front fork seals in right now. Just got the kids and wife to sleep so now its daddy time:w00t:

Swinger
11-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Well, it has been a while for an up date and the build is still coming along. I got pics but cant figure out how to size them and post them. Motor is in and mostly everything assembled. Need a CDI till I can finally try and hear this baby fire up!!! Just tried and cant get the pics to resize!

Swinger
11-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Any help on the pic situation would be cool. Some issues Im running into is that I cant get the rear fenders to line up and go into the rear grommets. The 2 seat stay pegs are off about 3/4 in. and need to go in. I am hoping there is something I can do instead of cutting the rear bracket and rewelding it in a different position. My plug issue is that I will have to run shortys because there just isnt enough room to change the plug out once everything is in place, so be it I guess! 158541

3 Wheel Drive
11-27-2012, 10:28 AM
To resize pics assuming that you are using a PC, right click over the photo.
Then click on Open With Paint (Microsoft paint), from there you can either crop, resize and edit photos.

Swinger
11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Well I messed with the camera and just changed the settings on it and can load pics I take from here on out. I just snapped these pics and the garage is a mess with working on 3 different trikes at once so excuse the tool and part tornado that passed through. 158542158543158544158545158546

Swinger
11-27-2012, 10:48 AM
I want it to look good but isnt goona be a garage queen and will be rode and raced hard. I have to get motor mount bolts yet and rear tank bolts, Throttle cable, CDI for an 85, chain, black front fender and get my collant bottle on and bleed these damn brakes which are giving me a little prob at the moment as well. Exaust hangers, headlight bulb and rectifier and maybe a tail light too. Good set of grips and and rear skid plate and grab bar would be nice too. Those things will come in time, just gotta get back to work to have the funds for it. Still got a little ways to go but have been working hard on it latley and would like to hit some of the indoor events this year.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-27-2012, 03:57 PM
As to the plug issue... You won't believe what works for me!

I ended up trying just for laughs, a spark plug terminal from an old weed wacker I had laying around. It's a very small, basic design, but it keeps water out and works great. Beast of all, I have ample clearance between the plug top and my frame brace. Goes on and off with no issues.

Swinger
11-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I may have to try this weedeater set up!! Im really close on clearance though. 158589158590

Swinger
11-27-2012, 09:30 PM
A set of extended hubs I got from a friend that I sanded and painted up a little bit. 158591

Swinger
11-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Do you think that is enough clearance ride red for a weed eater cap?

82 250r
11-28-2012, 03:41 AM
I have 2 short plugs (BR9ECM) that i don't need... that should solve your problem.
I'll warn you, they are very expensive for some reason. $18 shipped...that what i paid for them.
Marc

Swinger
11-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Ok, thanks Marc. I will keep it in mind and figured they were pricey.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Do you think that is enough clearance ride red for a weed eater cap?

Absolutley.

I tried to get a pic of mine and post it up for you last night but I could not for the life of me get a good pic to come out.

I have an '85 with that frame brace as well, and I can easily remove and intall the plug wire with the little cap. I might even have an extra weedwacker cap, if I do I'll snap a pic and post it up for ya.

falloutboy
11-28-2012, 06:57 PM
A set of extended hubs I got from a friend that I sanded and painted up a little bit. 158591

those look like 400ex hubs. how do you get them to fit the 250r axle?

Swinger
11-29-2012, 03:57 AM
those look like 400ex hubs. how do you get them to fit the 250r axle? I actually havent even tryed them on an axle yet. They may be from a 400ex, and just assumed they would work. Apperntly I am wrong. Will have to give it a try tomorrow. Guess I should have though about that before I put that much time into making them look nice, ha ha! Oh well, was running out of stuff to sand and paint lol!

just ben
11-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Oh well, was running out of stuff to sand and paint lol!you could pull the radiator bracket off and paint that lol. It's looking nice though. Those plugs are a little more expensive than a standard plug but a parts store should be able to get them for you or if you have a boat shop around they may have them in stock (they are a marine plug) Alyssa's ktm uses that plug I think I paid 6 bucks last time I needed one

Swinger
11-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Yeah, those brackets are going to get the wire wheel treatment today. How much shorter are those plugs Ben? You able to post a pic of the 2 side by side?

just ben
11-29-2012, 09:02 AM
1/2" shorter if I can find one around I will get a pic later

Swinger
12-01-2012, 12:56 AM
I hope this dam thing runs good cause now with the wife getting a Z guess we are gonna have a shootout!!! Wonder if she will give me a head start??

RIDE-RED 250r
12-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Unless that Tri-Z has some real good mods, that 310 with the 38mm carb should walk it.

3Queen
12-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I guess we will see. Break out the gopro!!!

3Queen
12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Dave keep working on it, as soon as it is running then it is mine!!! But for now it can be yours!!!

Swinger
12-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Ha ha, ok! Ill build something else then!!! Remember the ninja motor we looked at!!

Swinger
12-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Well, all the electrical hooked up and hoped to see a nice blue spark, but nothing!!! Now to start the process of elilmination:(

Swinger
01-01-2013, 08:29 PM
After some tinkering around I figured out the problem. Loose wire from the stator plug and the spark plug cap wasnt making a good connection either. Got it all taken care of and reran my wiring and checked everything one more time and she fired up on the 3rd kick. What a great feeling that is:Bounce If you have ever taken an engine completely apart and reassembled it then you know the feeling of this. Its been a little over a year since I started collecting parts and am so happy that it finally runs. Now for a few heat cycles.:w00t:

just ben
01-02-2013, 08:40 AM
glad to hear it's finally running

3Queen
01-02-2013, 11:00 AM
I just would love to ride it but I have 2 race him 1st. lol and we have way 2 much snow for that!!! But I'm happy for Dave he got it running and it sounds good..

Swinger
01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Got to take the R for its first run today. I have run 4 heat cycles already and used a temp gun to see how hot it was running. After 5 minutes of idleing the top end was at 84 degrees. Not sure what temp should be at but thinking this is good. Had sand paddles on the back whick worked pretty damn good in the deep snow, ha ha. Didnt open it up yet due to not wanting to stress the motor yet but just checking to make sure trany, clutch and everything was in order. Still got more that needs done but am getting there. Broke a front motor mount bolt off in the frame now gotta get that out and find actual motor mont bolts instead of the cheap ones that I had for temporary use. No brakes yet either but I need the rear disc and cant get the fronts to bleed yet. Once the camera charges I will get a few pics up and Regina got a few of her on her Z as well.

Swinger
02-08-2013, 07:51 PM

MIK6
02-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Looks nice man!! I want to line my T3 up against it once your broken in!!

MIK6/ Mike

Swinger
02-08-2013, 08:14 PM
We all know Tecates are faster machines,lol! I would like to see what she got in her so sounds good Mike. I am wanting to maybe got with an ESR exhaust instead of the vintage CRF pipe now. CRF seems to be more bottom to mid range and would like a little more top end out of it. Anyone out there got and ESR or even a PT hi rev I could borrow to try before I buy one??

RIDE-RED 250r
02-08-2013, 09:02 PM
My ESR is mounted on my 350r right now. But I have an FMF Fatty that's hangin on the wall I won't be needing for a little bit yet...

I noticed you did the polished stator and clutch covers with a black cylinder! :) That looks familiar! ;)

I forget... what's your 310 ported/carbed for??

Swinger
02-10-2013, 11:15 AM
I had an FMF mounted on it first but traded it for parts to finish the build. Not really sure on the port work but it is opened up a little through the intake and exhaust but the bottom ports werent touched. I had planned on really opening it up but had a falling out with the guy that was supposed to do it for me. The carb is a 40 or 41mm bored to a 42 and a very tight fit in there. I got it for a great price so just went with it to see what happened. I am running an air box with lid at the moment but when I get a chance to jet it it will be lid free. Once it is all dialed in it will be mainly a hillclimber for the local hillclimb (Beaverdale) and will have the extended swinger put on.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah, sounds like you should definitely get it ported for mid-top at some point given the fact you mainly want to drag and hill shoot with it.

I have never run an PT Rev pipe but I hear tell it is more of a top end pipe than the rest currently available for the ATC/ Bet it would work well with that big ol' 42mm carb you have and a mid-top port job.

Member NOS350x also builds custom sectional pipes. He might be a good person to have a chat with.

I ran my FMF on my stock cylinder set up with just bolt-ons and it hit pretty hard up through the midrange but signed off pretty quick in upper mid-top. I can't really make a fair comparison between the FMF and ESR though, as the only setup I have run the ESR pipe on is my mid-top ported 350.

Swinger
02-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Still working on getting it dialed in but a quick video of it running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgqltzYkZEA

userj8670
02-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Sounds pretty sWeEt!!!!!!!!

RIDE-RED 250r
02-14-2013, 07:39 PM
What kind of pipe is that you are running now???

BTW, there is a guy selling an NOS350x in frame drag pipe with silencer on trx250r.net right now! If I recall he wants $375 for the whole system. Only has a few runs on it.

Also, how do you like those Pro-Taper bars?? Are those the same bars Rocky Mountain ATV sells?? How is the clamp spacing?? Thinking about getting a set like that at some point...

3Queen
02-14-2013, 07:46 PM
It sounds alot better now. That video was cold and now it is jetted and ready for this weekends ice race in NY. Still could use fine tuning but will do that up there, its going to be alot colder than it was today here. The pipe I have on it now is a CRF with an answer 2 silencer. Real nice pipe IMO but hits harder on bottom and mid and Im leaning more toward needing a top end pipe. Anyone got anything to trade out there. Would like to get that in frame for a back up when Im hillclimbing and drag racing but to much going on at the moment to swing it. I really like these pro tapers and Im not sure if they are the same as RM one. I got these off of Ceasar last year.

Swinger
02-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Sorry, the wife was logged in and didnt know it until I posted above...whoops! This weekend will be the first real ride time this build will have on it, so I hope all goes good. Wish me luck!

RIDE-RED 250r
02-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Just make sure she is a little on the rich side on the main jet for that racing.. especially if it's not totally broken in yet.

Also, did you make sure you don't have the exhaust flange bolt hole issue ESR had with alot of cyls a while back? I bought mine in dec of '11 and mine has the issue.

Best of luck with your racing! :beer

TheBlueWale
03-08-2013, 08:10 PM
This thing turned out awesome, from a pile of parts to a running machine.

Swinger
03-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Here is a quick video of its first trail ride. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B91uTEKOJl8&feature=share

RIDE-RED 250r
03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Looks like fun.

Who you riding with?? Anybody we know from here??

3Queen
03-18-2013, 05:01 PM
His name is Lyle, He is on the forum.. I know him for years, friends with my brother and always love trikes as long as I know him.. He has the 250R and his old lady, Kelly rides a 85 350X.. The both of them will be coming to trike fest this year with Dave and I..

3Queen
03-18-2013, 05:04 PM
And he will be at Breezewood Proving Grounds too..

Swinger
03-18-2013, 06:23 PM
I convinced Lyle to join the boards but he isnt much of a computer guy. Awesome dude to hang with and is working on getting back into it since he broke his back in a dirtbike accident. I thought I got a few other videos of us climbing bigger/steeper hills but battery died and thought it was still recording. R ran good and am liking the ESR pipe. There is a big hill there that is pretty wicked and didnt want to give it a shot without guys spotting us on the hill so there will be some sweet footage coming soon. May just put the R in hillclimb mode sooner than I thought.

Swinger
04-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Just put the longer swingarm on and trying a few holeshots to get ready for the hillclimbs. Still running her a little rich ATM but will lean it out after one more tank through her. Chain tensioner seems backwards but can only get it to function like this for some reason. Just waiting on the extended brake line to show up and we are ready to climb. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6YUjYoT4OI&feature=youtu.be

RIDE-RED 250r
04-11-2013, 06:16 PM
+6 swingarm??

Swinger
04-11-2013, 06:36 PM
+9 1/2 swingarm. Actually a 88-89 TRX swinger I did some adjusting to, lol! Has great traction for being as long as it is.

oeduardo67
04-11-2013, 08:25 PM
This looks amazing. Just looking at the hills sends quivers. I need to go ride. Awesome build.how much fuel does it consume compared to the stock? Do you know?

aldochina
04-12-2013, 01:37 AM
sounds great! to bad you didnt get your buddys mishap on cam. entertaining vid! lol His r faired ok from the roll i take it?
your blue seat is killing me! lol! practice up with that beautie of a swinger and give raffa some competition at beaverdale!!
I think i met you breifly at sacandaga a few months back! It was a pleasure! You guys put on a nice show for us, loved it! other than it being propably the coldest damn day of the winter!!

Swinger
04-12-2013, 01:44 PM
As far as fuel consumption.. she is a pretty thirsty machine. The hills in the video that we were messing around on are just small practice hills. There is a big hill that has not ever been attempted on a trike. The guys on quads wont even hit it anymore. Footage coming soon!!!! Yes, we met at the ice race Aldo, nice meeting you. Loved the Big Red! I plan on hitting Beaverdale a few times this year and hope I can give Raffa a little more competition than I did last year. Would love to have a huge turnout for the Sept. 8th climb and have at least 3 guys climb all year and we would get our own class and would have a cash payout!!

Swinger
04-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Here is a quick shot at a 2nd gear holeshot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6j1S2alRZA

TatTooL23
04-12-2013, 01:51 PM
i didnt even realize that it was a 310 at the ice races.

Swinger
04-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah that was its maiden voyage. Just started breaking it in before the race, lol! May not have been the best idea but I needed to ride, ha ha.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-12-2013, 04:54 PM
As far as fuel consumption.. she is a pretty thirsty machine. The hills in the video that we were messing around on are just small practice hills. There is a big hill that has not ever been attempted on a trike. The guys on quads wont even hit it anymore. Footage coming soon!!!! Yes, we met at the ice race Aldo, nice meeting you. Loved the Big Red! I plan on hitting Beaverdale a few times this year and hope I can give Raffa a little more competition than I did last year. Would love to have a huge turnout for the Sept. 8th climb and have at least 3 guys climb all year and we would get our own class and would have a cash payout!!

You could give Raffa competition on a Power Wheels right now!!! :D

Just ribbin ya Raffa.. ;)