PDA

View Full Version : 84 ATC 125m Head Help!!!

DasUberKraut
04-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Can someone please walk me through the process of swapping the head on my 125m?

Can it be done without pulling the motor?
Special tools?

Thanks in advance. :beer

rdlsz24
04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
There's nothing to it. All you need are some hand tools and some patience. I recommend pulling the motor and working on a bench to save your back if nothing else, but the shop manual says you can remove the head without pulling the motor.

Get the shop manual here, it will walk you through step by step http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m1j8gbqy675o263

Rob

DasUberKraut
04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I have the manual. I coulda swore there wasn't anything in it about removing the head specifically. I read it a couple times. Must have missed it.

When I get it removed, I have to take it to a machine shop to get the exhaust studs removed. Do I have to remove the internals or will they be ok?

Big Mike
04-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I would take the head apart and just freshen everything up while you're there

rdlsz24
04-09-2012, 02:47 PM
I have the manual. I coulda swore there wasn't anything in it about removing the head specifically. I read it a couple times. Must have missed it.

You have the factory manual? Chapter 6 is completely about the cylinder head removal, disassembly and re-installation

You can remove the exhaust studs yourself. All you need to do is use 2 nuts tightened together to break the studs free. Hold the top nut stationary with a wrench while you turn the bottom nut into it with another wrench. Works every time.

Rob

DasUberKraut
04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
They're both broken off under the surface. Someone tried to drill one before I owned the machine. The other one snapped when I was messing with it.

I must have completely passed over Chapter Six. I feel like a trailpro.

rdlsz24
04-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Ok I got ya, they are broken off. always a bummer

Rob

DasUberKraut
06-10-2012, 05:47 PM
So I finally got around to pulling the head off my 125m.

First of all I'd like to send a big F-U to Honda for using phillips head screws on the CDI. I want to b!tchslap the idiot who was in charge of fasteners with a trailpro.

Secondly. I can't get the damn head off the studs! Everything is unbolted. I can lift it about 1/2" to 3/4" and it hangs up tight on something. Any ideas? I need to get this head to the shop for machining. My old man is getting mad cause I can't ride with him.

EDIT:

So I walked away from the 125m for a bit. After looking at it again. I forgot to remove the rocker cover. Head came right off. Lots of carbon build up.

greenhuman
06-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Never mind. I didn't read to the end of your post.

Jon Boy
06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
First of all I'd like to send a big F-U to Honda for using phillips head screws on the CDI. I want to b!tchslap the idiot who was in charge of fasteners with a trailpro.

100% agreed, as well as the ones on the case. :rolleyes:

DasUberKraut
06-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Damn! Just got off the phone with a guy at Baxter Engines. They are over worked right now. Probably won't have my head done for a few weeks. Debating on asking them about porting too. :wondering

DasUberKraut
06-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Are these little "insulators" impotant? The black plastic thing between the spring and the post? Are replacements available? Have people come up with an "at home" sollution to this issue?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/Duggalo/2012-06-12_02-28-17_359.jpg

DasUberKraut
06-16-2012, 12:22 AM
So I came home from work and decided I didn't want to wait for Baxter's. I successfully drilled into one exhaust studs and was able to get a good bite first try with a couple taps with a hammer. Didn't really want to budge. Hit it with some Liquid Wrench and it's soaking now. Successfully started drilling a new hole in the stud I messed up a few months ago trying to drill it out on my back on the garage floor. Drill ran out of juice. Battery on the charger now. I need propane for the torch as well.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/Duggalo/Progressjpg.jpg

EDIT: I'm that MORON everyone loves to laugh at.
Just broke my reverse tap clean off. Be honest. You saw it coming a mile away. Now it's just going to be easier to buy a different head I think. :wondering

So now I ask you this. What is up with this valve? There is insane build up. Is it just rust from years of sitting?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/Duggalo/Valvesjpg.jpg

DasUberKraut
07-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Still waiting for head work to be done.

I have a line on a Bassani pipe for my 125m. What size jets should I be running?

Is the stock carb efficient enough? I also have a carb from an 82 185s. Is that better?

kb0nly
07-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Have a welder??? The way i get ones like that out is to get a nut thats just about the right size and sit it over the broken stud, or remover, then weld inside the nut. Works best with a MIG since the wire is small enough, but basically you build up the stud a small weld at a time, zap, cool, zap, cool, until you get up to the nut and then start to incorporate the nut into the weld. Let it all cool for a while, don't use water, just let it air cool. The added heat from the welding also helps break the stud free. Then just wrench it out if it held. I have done this many times, even with ones broken flush, before i got my broken stud remover set. Although i have broken a few like you and resorted to welding on the nut again!

I just got done tearing apart and putting back together a 85 125M, stripped the head out on a couple case screws... Sucks!!! I found the local farm supply store has metric full length threaded machine bolts with a washer type hex head on them that replaces these stupid stock screws quite nicely.

DasUberKraut
07-21-2012, 10:08 PM
I myself don't have welding experience let alone a welder. My father in law does. I will ask him if he wants to attempt it.

What length bolts did you use instead of studs?

DasUberKraut
08-10-2012, 02:50 AM
So my wife and I are in the process of moving out in a hurry. The head is still off the motor. What's the best way to transport this beast? Drain the oil and bag the motor? Put the head back on to save the oil for now? (oil will get drained when job is finished).