PDA

View Full Version : What is the easiest way topolish my stock 350x rims???

roofinggun
11-17-2003, 08:30 PM
I probably won't be riding much for a while and I can't find a good project bike, so I want to polish up my rims and maybe a few other parts. How do you guys do it and what do you use????

Mike Fort Laud
11-17-2003, 09:03 PM
The rims are already polished correct??? The absolute best polish for aluminum is Mothers Polish. I use it on everything. Just use a little elbo grease and rub it around the rim with a soft cloth and you will be surprised. if the metal is dull then you may need to sand it smooth and use a polished with a drill or something like it. but to shine up aluminum that has already polished and turned dull,nothing will bring the shine back like Mothers Polish. by the way Never Dull sucks

ScottZJ
11-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Use a drimmel or a drill with a buff pad on it with mothers polish and it will do wonders.

KASEY
11-17-2003, 11:43 PM
if they are OEM wheels then you will have to strip off the factory coating ,,, that will be a real pain,,, then they will polish out like chrome,,,,

Mobular
11-18-2003, 03:33 AM
Remove the original anodizing with some easy-off or a good sanding. Then polish away. After polishing, you must wax or clear the wheel or it'll go dull quickly.

86250RZ
11-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Try Xtreem Wheel Polish and you will throw that Mothers Polish in the trash. I've been using it for about five years and it is light years ahead of Mothers. It cuts stains faster and leaves a better shine. I've used it on all my show trucks and on my 250R or any type of metal. Also use the Xtreem Metal Sealer and your shine will last up to 3months. Strip wheels with paint stripper they sell it at Autozone in a can or Wheel acid With 000 steel wool(you should be able to find wheel acid at any Truck Stop, not the junk they sell at Autozone or Wal-mart) some people call it truckers acid and its not diluted like most other acids so wear gloves.

wizzard
11-18-2003, 08:01 PM
he's right

SteveATC24
11-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Ditch all that polish and buy yourself some brasso polish. You can get this trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro just about anywhere. Some good stuff, try it out...

roofinggun
11-19-2003, 06:29 PM
I have a can of Brasso here from my Army days and it says "Do Not Use On Aluminum, Silver, Or Lacquered Finishes" Do you have a different kind than the Multipurpose Metal Polish?

86250RZ
11-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Brasso is not in the same class as Xtreem, if I would have had Xtreem instead of Brasso when I was at Ft. Knox I would have won a medal for the finest brass in Ft. Knox history. I do not only sell Xtreem I'm also a client. :D

I operate a Custom High Performance shop, we sell and stock wheels up to 26" and sell many car and truck accessories and I also go to the SEMA Show in Vegas and they have never shown me a product that can compare with this product. For you who dont know what SEMA is, it's the largest Auto show in the world and its held once every year.

roofinggun
11-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Hey 86250RZ,

They just put up a new Autozone in town. I have stock aluminum rims that have not been stripped. Do I have to strip them to get a shine? I would appreciate it if you would post a reply for me. "Rim polishing for Dummies" because I have tried with minimal success. I will pick up the Xtreem tommorow with whatever else you reccomend. I'm not joking, I have no rim polishing talents. Help me.

86250RZ
11-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Can you post a pic of your trike so I can get a better look at your rims.

SteveATC24
11-20-2003, 04:46 PM
I will try out this xtreem stuff, can I just get it at any parts house or if not where can I get it. I like the brasso but if this is better I will definitely try this out. It says not to use that brasso on aluminum but I never have been to great at following directions, I used it on some old junk rims and it impressed me, so i will give this xtreem brand a try and get back to you to let you know what I think. I am not to proud to say something works better than what I use or someone does something a little different me and their way is better. This is what being part of this forum is all about, to learn from others who enjoy the same hobbies as you.

86250RZ
11-20-2003, 05:00 PM
The only places that carry it around here are customwheel shops, no other place that I know of sells it. If you can't find it let me know and I will see what I can do. I have 48 cans of it here and it sells like crazy. If anyone uses this product and and can honestly say they have something better I will buy all you can get your hands on. If you use this and don't like it you can blast me all month and I will sit here and take it without any comebacks, Im that confident that you will love Xtreem.

P.S. I know how you feel I hate to admit that im wrong or that someone has a better way than mine but I will alway try something once and if they were right I will give them thier deserved props.