PDA

View Full Version : Question about Yamaha clutch test??

dougspcs
04-08-2012, 08:35 AM
I did say that I was a Yamaha newb and I would probably have more questions..well here is another.

My 200e, along with it's serious engine knock slips in high gear and while climbing. Also my brothers 250 Bear Tracker is starting to do the same..

With the Yamaha style 2 stage auto-clutch is there a method to determine which is causing a slip..meaning by drive-ability symptoms is it possible to determine if it's the centrifugal or the main clutch disks that are worn and causing slippage?

Or do you just have to tear it down and inspect? The clutch set is cheap, but the centrifugal is not!!

Howdy
04-08-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty sure you can use the same basic test as Honda's. If it has to rev higher before take off, then the centrifical clutch is slipping. If it takes off fine in first gear but slips in higher gears then it's the secondary clutch. As with anything there are exceptions, but it is VERY rare.
Howdy

dougspcs
04-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Cool thanks Howdy!!

Never had any clutch issues on my Hondas, but that is because they are Hondas..

1984 honda 200s
04-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Well ive had the clutch go in my Honda...
If it's slipping in higher gear its time to change your clutch disks, its like day and night, mine would take off time, 1st threw 4th then start slipping with higher rpms... changed the disks and its like new.