PDA

View Full Version : Tecate CDI saammmeeee thiinng

gage
04-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Okay so if you don't remember me I'm the guy whose 84 tecate was having electrical issues a few weeks ago.. whelp now there back the CDI isn't working I'm assuming again, because its the same deal as last time. Except this time I was riding and when i went to go into 4th it made aloud pop then died. The stator coil is a dark brown144642, but I'm getting juice from it like before.... tired of this, about ready to just sell the pos and move on. If any one has any advice I'd appreciate it, or know where I can get another CDI maybe a new one, so I can try to sell it? I was thinking that maybe the ricky stator is pumping out too much juice for the older cdis to handle, but its just a guess.:confused:

Yamaha_Rules69
04-07-2012, 11:39 PM
That stator ignition coil dosent really look normal to me, its too dark, like its burnt. Did you check the flywheel key again? I dont see how the CDI could have gone bad again like that, you dont see this happen this often. How long did you ride it before this happened? Did it have any other quirks in this time? I have heard more then a handful of problems with ricky stator, but then again a lot of good reviews. I have not had to go that route yet with the stator, and have been fortunate with my 84. Hope you can figure this out, and be able to ride the thing.

atcrider89
04-07-2012, 11:49 PM
CDI on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251034826033?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

gage
04-08-2012, 12:17 AM
That stator ignition coil dosent really look normal to me, its too dark, like its burnt. Did you check the flywheel key again? I dont see how the CDI could have gone bad again like that, you dont see this happen this often. How long did you ride it before this happened? Did it have any other quirks in this time? I have heard more then a handful of problems with ricky stator, but then again a lot of good reviews. I have not had to go that route yet with the stator, and have been fortunate with my 84. Hope you can figure this out, and be able to ride the thing.Ya the keys fine. There is some red, rust color? but just around the shaft by the key, only thing I saw that was strange. And the things been running since last week & I've literally rode it every day, some days longer than others, but never too rough. Maybe another symptom, I was having a strange bogging issue the last few days, where it would take off fine but then around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it would bog then bust out and fly at higher rpms. But I assumed it was due to a jetting issue or from my exhaust tip that I recently repacked, maybe and more likely my reeds though. I adjusted the needle clip through out the day trying different things, but none had any effect to it bogging. :wondering

gage
04-08-2012, 12:22 AM
CDI on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251034826033?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 Dude I'm aware of ebay, curious if any one here had another I could destroy. I did see something on ebay though I think I should have bought from the start..http://www.ebay.com/itm/PVL-Racing-Analog-Ignition-System-Stator-KXT-250-TECATE-/390303652999?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adfe91c87&vxp=mtr

gage
04-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I was riding it without a killswitch too? :confused:

jeswinehart
04-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Hey Gage, i found one, well I think it it will work, calling you.

just ben
04-08-2012, 09:30 PM
are you sure it's the cdi? It's not very common for these cdi's to fail.The stators on the other hand are a different story. I think I have had to replace 2 in the past year

gage
04-09-2012, 05:28 PM
are you sure it's the cdi? It's not very common for these cdi's to fail.The stators on the other hand are a different story. I think I have had to replace 2 in the past yearya I'm pretty sure its the cdi, not sure why the stator is brown colored though. I think the stator's burning the cdi up though...

just ben
04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
did you ohm test the stator per the manual?

gage
04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
did you ohm test the stator per the manual?yes, been through this already,http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141419-84-tecate-no-spark/page2. But here is the resistance from the stator BK-BL=200, BK-W/R=226, BL-W/R=26. Although I'm not sure how many volts its suppose to be producing? Not sure also but, would the lighting wire and/or the kill switch not being hooked up have any negative effects on the CDI? Maybe messing up the circuit?

jeswinehart
04-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Where folks get in real trouble with cdi's are plugging in and unplugging stuff while machine is running. For some reason every manual I have ever read says that is a no-no.
As long as none of the unhooked wires was touching anything I don't believe that would be a factor.
Did you get a chance to speak with RickyStator today ?

gage
04-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you get a chance to speak with RickyStator today ? Nah I didn't have the time. I'll probably just try yours first and hook the killswitch and the lights, then hope for the best.