PDA

View Full Version : Tecate Frustrations

dksix
04-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I had some friends over yesterday, we were working on our ATV's and playing around a little on each others bikes. I had the Tecate out, we had all taken it for rides and everything was fine. The jetting is still not right but running rich and no danger of causing damage. I was the last to ride it, pulled back to the shop and parked it. Later on, I was going to ride it again and it won't hit at all. I thought maybe running rich I had fouled the plug, pulled it and it looked fine, still getting spark. It may be a fuel issue but it was late enough that I wasn't getting into it last night. This bike has had starting issues before. Sometimes it would fire right up and other times I couldn't get it to start but it was during the winter and didn't really try if it didn't start after 5 or 6 kicks. I've spent quiet a bit on it over the last few months and have it looking pretty good. I would have fixed mechanical stuff first but thinking it was good on the inside, I spent on cosmetics. I don't mind when something tears up, can be fixed and move on but this showing an intermittent problem will get old quick. The petcock had been leaking, so it has been empty of fuel while setting. I'll go into the carb next and see if I can find anything there and make sure the jets are within the range that they should be but if the problem persists, it will be leaving here.......I'm more just venting right now but it is frustration to be this deep into something and finding new problems. To all the Tecate guys, keep an eye on this, there could be a pretty nice 84 getting parted out soon.

atc007
04-07-2012, 08:04 PM
You probably Know this,,but put in a NEW plug. plain ol B9ES. A " good" or cleaned one can be fouled and make you pull your hair out. Have you redone the flywheel yet? If you still have a 4 magnet flywheel,pull it and get it out to Swinehart here on the forum. He will make it a 1 piece smoothie that will last. We're Looking for trouble with any type of old magnets. Other than that,if she doesn't fire right up on a NEW plug,,,which I'm SURE it will : ) Def look to fuel and delivery next.

dksix
04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
It's already had the ignition upgraded to all Ricky Stator stuff, that's how I got it and what I was told. I haven't had any of the engine apart and don't know about the flywheel magnets. I bought it from a member on this forum and he told me all I know about it. It's the carb, I'm sure. I always turn the gas off when I put it up but yesterday I left it outside after riding it, with the gas on. Then pushed it into the shop last night and didn't think anything about checking the petcock, today when I went into the shop there was a big puddle of gas under it. I know the carb needs some attention, I'll get to it sometime. I had planned to work on the jetting after I got my new pipe. The pipe came in Thursday (thanks tecat-z) but I want to get an aftermarket silencer for it and the pipe I got is bare steel that I want to seal someway before I use it and it rusts. The foam and vinyl will be in late this week and I have to take it to the upholstery shop for them to make my seat. Since it leaks randomly, I'll drain all the fuel from the tank and carb before I drop it off and plan on going into after that. I may just take it apart and do the powder coating before I try to ride it again. I should have my new oven done by the time it comes back from the upholstery shop, it would probably be a good idea to use it on some of my stuff before I risk curing other peoples parts in it, LOL.

dksix
04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I messed with some more last night. As you suggested, I put a new plug in it. It was sparking but it seemed like it just slowly died. I had blue spark, then orange spark, then red then now. I know Tecates are know for ignition issues, so I pulled the side cover. Some gray milky looking as mixture ran out as I loosen the bottom bolts. The flywheel cover was full of this liquid. I'm wondering if it's possible that the float stuck open, fuel filled the crank case, The piston pushed the fuel through the crank seal, shorting the stator? I left the cover off, hoping if it dried it would fire again. If that's what happened, it's my fault for not addressing the known carb issue. I'm not sure where I'll go from here. I did trade for an 86 KX500 over the weekend, needs a top end. And, I'm picking up a KTM 450exc later this week. Is there any chance that the 86 KX500 stator would be the same as the 84 KXT?

just ben
04-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I believe the whole ignition system will work but none of the parts will interchange besides the coil.but even that and the kill switch are wired differently than a kxt

Dirtcrasher
04-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Gray and milky? Tecate's don't run in gear oil on that side stator correct? (like a 350X and many Hondas do)

Maybe a bad LH crank seal isn't helping?

IMO, that side should be dry and squeaky clean unless there's any issue.

But, IDK how Tecates are set up..................

atc007
04-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Crank seal only on that side. So,,depending how bad it is,you have a bad seal on BOTH sides,,ingesting tranny oil on the right ,mixing it and puking it out the mag side. Or More than likely,just a bad crank seal and all that leaked gas and premix,,I'd say clean the crap out of the ignition with Ether/starting fluid. Let it dry a cpl days really good,and I think you'll be alright spark wise.. And obviously replace that crank seal,,which unfortunately Most say ,,,you need to split the cases : ( I haven't done one,,,but 95% of 2 cycles do NOT require splitting. But I know most here say it's a lipped seal and should be split.

dksix
04-13-2012, 03:32 AM
I've decided to move it back into a corner and see if my interest in it returns. I'll still take it do the seat since I had my buddy at the upholstery shop order a foam blank and the vinyl to do it with. I don't have a flywheel puller for it and I've got a couple of bikes that I'd rather work on now. thanks for the help guys.

jeswinehart
04-13-2012, 06:31 AM
dk, this is what I use to pull Tecate trike flywheels: http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piece-bolt-puller-set-37824.html?utm_campaign=SEO&utm_medium=Inbound_links&utm_source=linking
Basically just the puller itself, not any of the bolts in there. I use the correct thread of bolt and some flat washers so they do not pull thru the triangle part.
Use caution in so far as to NOT run the 3 bolts inside the flywheel any farther then needed because if screwed in too deep they might come in contact with the electronics inside.

atc007
04-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Lol,,I'm on my 3rd set in 20+ years. If memory serves me correct,,I thought the " correct puller for these is the widely use,left hand internal thread center puller. That works for TONS of Honda,Kawie and Suzuki? If so,,a new ones on it's way DK. I'll do some checking.