PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke piping questions.

Matrix
04-05-2012, 06:04 PM
I know that on a 4 stroke, one of the most beneficial things to do is help your bike breathe better. Most people would start by getting a new exhaust and jetting done and that will pretty much do enough for the average rider.

Now onto the 2 strokes. In my case, a 1984 Honda 250r. My trike is mostly stock but has a new chain, air filter and a DG pipe coming off of the engine with what I believe is the stock silencer.(?) I would like to run a whole new exhaust but I honestly didn't think that exhausts do much on a 2 stroke or at least not as much as a 4 stroke right?

Pretty much to sum this up, does you're average trail rider that plans on doing occasional races have anything to gain by going with a new exhaust, performance wise? If so, what would you guys recommend for an exhaust? I do plan on getting one anyhow but I am lost in the dark on my 2 stroke lol...

El Camexican
04-05-2012, 06:38 PM
It has been my experience that a 2 stroke pipe has a far greater effect on how the engine runs that it does on a thumper. It's a long explanation and it's a long weekend, so I suggest you search the Internet a bit for more details. Have fun!

atc300r
04-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Pretty much what you would do to a 4 stroke to get more power would also work on a 2 stroke.Like pipe ,carb airfilter and porting.Anything that would help in breath better.You can still get new DG pipes for the 250r. On ebay there are other pipes you can get.Bills , Bassani,andCobra are a few good one.

Angore
04-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Good reading here > http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/how-twostroke-expansion-chambers-work-and-why-you-should-care-3423.html

Yamaha_Rules69
04-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Basically to sum it up a 2 stroke performance pipe moves the power curve, depending on the shape, and size of the pipe, as well as the stinger length on the back of the pipe. Some pipes may make peak power at higher rpm, some at middle, and some low. The stock pipe would be more of a low-mid range pipe, really good bottom end, and decent all around power for basic riding. Once you bolt on a higher rev pipe over stock, you notice a diference instantly in the way the power hits. You say you have a DG pipe? Those are decent, and an improvement over stock imo. What carb are you running? If you arent doing so already, a 85 or 85 R carb is always an upgrade for the airfoolers. Stock air cooled uses 30mm, and liquid used 34mm. Another upgrade is the V force reeds. They will help breathe a little better, but try the carb first.

4x4van
04-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Yup, a pipe makes a bigger difference on a 2-stroke than it does on a 4-stroke. Reason? On a 4 stroke, it really only accomplishes the task of better "breathing". But on a 2-stroke, since there are no valves that close off the combustion chamber, a pipe actually "tunes" the powerband, by helping to pull the exhaust out of the cylinder, as well as helping to "stuff" the fresh intake charge back into the cylinder before any of it is lost through the exhaust port. And depending on the volume, length, and shape of the pipe, it can change how and when the engine makes peak power, because it changes the length of and timing of the exhaust pressure wave bouncing back & forth in the pipe. It's a pretty complex science.

tri again
04-06-2012, 04:56 AM
I honestly can't see very well, computer screen is super dark for some reason
so these charts may be for a cement mixer for all I know.

Pretty sure they have info for 2 strokes or may give you an idea of what to look for.