PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify this 250R swingarm

kleclair
04-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Ok,I have this aluminum swingarm off an '86 250R.Not sure the brand.It measures 18" cent to center (-1 1/2 for 85'-'87').Ive been told it could be a Laegers.I know they did make a very short run of aluminum swingarms back in the day.This is extremely light.It weighs 6 lbs.,14 oz. with pivot bearings installed.My -1 Cal Fab weighs exactly 9lbs. without any bearings.I also want to mention that ,yes, there has been some previous welding done near the linkage mount.I plan on doing a complete resto/rehab/polishing of this arm but would love to know who designed it.Any help on this mystery arm will be appreciated.ALSO,please look at our Ice riding video titled trike on ice.WE NEED MORE PEOPLE IN THE NORTHEAST to get INVOLVOLVED.We are down to earth dudes (dubber97,kleclair)that love to have fun on R's.Please click onto thumbnail to make picures bigger. Thanks,Keith

kleclair
04-06-2012, 02:01 AM
Ok,even some guesses might help. Thanks

HondaHarry
04-06-2012, 04:01 AM
My nearest guess would be a "minus length" swingarm that Paul Turner messed with back in the day.
I read somewhere that he was kind of protective of them because they worked GOOD.
I am aware of a PT badged Cal-Fab swingarm, this could be an early version.
The welds are of similar quality. Dunno. Just throwing that out there and hoping it sticks?
Might give someone at Duncan Racing a call and see i they have any ideas. Worth a shot. HH

Billy Golightly
04-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Can't say I've ever seen one of those, Interesting!

Jez
04-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Yep, that's a Paul Turner swingarm. Very rare and very nice arms that were handmade back in the day around the time he was working with HRC. HondaHarry is right in that he was very protective of them and very few made it out to the general public. Very rare old-school racing part and a true gem of a find!!!

kleclair
04-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Wow,thats cool.I appreciate all your info guys.I thought my -1 CalFab was kinda rare??I guess I will be holding onto this one for a future short track bike. Keith