PDA

View Full Version : 200X Suspension

MPNX2
11-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Can the rear shock on the 200X be rebuilt or recharged? I would like to et the one on my 200X recharged but form the looks of it it looks like it cant be done. Does anyone know???

ATCMedic
11-17-2003, 07:44 PM
I just tore into the shock on my project '83 200x, I'll let you know if it works out. Recharging them is pretty straightforward, a total rebuild will be tricky as I am not yet sure what parts are available.

MPNX2
11-17-2003, 07:49 PM
I also am working on a project '83 200X. What do you have in store for the machine??

Thanks for the help about the shock as well.

ATCMedic
11-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Basically a stock restoration with a few improvements. I'm doing a complete overhaul of the engine, already rebuilt the crank and updated the internal kickstarter gears to the later ones, the engine is about 85% back together....STILL can't find the thrust washer for the cam, might be ordering it from Honda if I can't come up with one. The forks are rebuilt already with all Honda parts. I'm also rebuilding the rear shock, so far I have disassembled it and inspected it. The damper is in much better shape than I expected, so I might be able to change the oil and recharge it and be done, but I've still got some more checking to do before I'll be satisfied of it's condition. I'm also cleaning and painting as I go, so it should look as good as it runs when I'm finished. I'm planning on posting some pics of the kickstarter update and maybe the shock overhaul once it's done, as long as my pics come out ok.

ATCMedic
11-26-2003, 02:32 PM
It's official! the rear damper unit CAN be rebuilt (Honda manual says it can't), I did it myself in a couple of hours. I took a bunch of pics that I'll try to develop this weekend and post for you. The unit comes apart much like the front forks do, the only trick is getting the snap ring that holds the piston assembly in the body off.(I used forceps)

Qdude79
11-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks Medic! I'd love to have an online tutorial of the rebuild. Gonna need it.

Qdude

mudduck14843
11-26-2003, 06:08 PM
hmmmmm i checked into a shock rebuild and i was told that it is charged with 750 PSI of nitrogen...
i take it both of your shocks wern't charged anymore?
how do you plan to recharge them?

MPNX2
11-26-2003, 06:32 PM
According to the service manual they are charged with 284 PSI of nitrogen. I took mine to the local motorcycle shop and they charged me $3 to do it....

I dont know where 750 PSI came from :?

mudduck14843
11-26-2003, 10:49 PM
wow that sounds like the way to do it...did you have to relese any presure to pull it apart or had it all leaked off?
my dealer said around 750 psi is what they take, i will have to ask around. it seems like my service manual said something about 700 psi in that (cant be sure my book is MIA)

MPNX2
11-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Here is a pic from my service manual.

Just let me know if you need any further help...

ATCMedic
12-11-2003, 11:01 AM
My shock came in already discharged so it wasn't an issie for me, it's pretty simple to discharge them if yours still has a charge. I'm hoping to get my pics developed soon and I will put a step by step breakdown on the shock rebuild. It was not a hard repair at all. If you can rebuild front forks you can handle the rear damper.

mudduck14843
12-11-2003, 01:44 PM
that would be awesome, step by step instructions.